Sponsored

What lug nut torque have you settled on?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Anyone out there using the Optimum Performance GT350 R Spec Racing Wheel Studs? Or their GT4 spec studs? I know they’re different materials and construction than OE. And while the torque certainly has a direct bearing on clamping force, it’s actually measuring the resistance to rotation, right? So things such as materials, coatings and finish are also relevant to torque rating. In any case, Optimim Performance has language in the product description that reference a lower torque spec but I don’t think it is quoted. Anyone know the torque spec for OPM studs?
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I don't understand how anyone could think they are smarter than the people who designed the car. So much math, expertise, and knowledge went into the choice by Ford, makes no sense to listen to forum warriors here.

150ft/lb for me.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Run them on with my Dewalt 18V cordless impact then snug them with my calibrated elbow on a 4-way

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I don't understand how anyone could think they are smarter than the people who designed the car. So much math, expertise, and knowledge went into the choice by Ford, makes no sense to listen to forum warriors here.

150ft/lb for me.
Why is this even a subject?. OEM Specs are always followed unless they are revised, By the OEM.
Follow The OEM manual.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot believe this is still a topic of discussion 🤦‍♂️
Lug nut torque has everything to do with the wheel stud material and geometry. It's not even determined by Ford; just look up torque specs for the specific studs being used.
The type of lug nuts are irrelevant, the type of wheel is irrelevant.

Please for the love of God, tighten your lug nuts to 150. I don't want anyones' wheel to come off on the street or track and cause an accident.

Think about it: engineers do numerous calculations to determine the correct clamping force/torque but yet some random dude on the internet says 150 "seems high" so that obviously can't be right....that's illogical.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been using it with no issue for over a year now, and although I don’t disagree with determining torque being based on the bolt, this thread exists because it’s controversial at best.
It is not controversial. There are only people who are correctly informed and those who are misinformed. People who understand the physics and people who will follow unsupported opinion.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I’ve been using it with no issue for over a year now, and although I don’t disagree with determining torque being based on the bolt, this thread exists because it’s controversial at best.
There is nothing controversial at all to using the right torque, meaning the one that Ford list
The issue is that most people are used to torque around 100 because most vehicles have historically used 1/2” or 12mm studs/bolts and not 14mm

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
hey so i'm gonna get a lot of hat eon this but whatever.

this very much goes off of feel, i've been doing this this way for more than 2 decades.
EVERY STEP USES THE STAR PATTERN

1. hand thread nuts on
2. ugga dugga them to snug the wheel to the face
3. ugga dugga one round trip (just to get the nuts to stop moving easily)
4. ugga dugga one round trip (just a quick pull)

that's it. never had problems and i push all my vehicles hard.
:cwl: for those that never heard of ugga dugga
    • Ugga Dugga. (Ugg-guh dug-guh)

Unit of Measurement regarding time and usually torque. Often found in automotive stores, mechanic's garages, and redneck tractor pulls.
      Ugga duggas can be counted infinitely, but it is commonly understood that 5 Ugga duggas is the maximum for torque, while three Ugga duggas is sufficient to hold most projects.
      To count an Ugga Dugga one must be wearing a ball cap backwards, have at least one busted knuckle, a beer in reach. Then as you squeeze the trigger of your impact gun, you count off like so, "One Ugga Dugga, Two Ugga Dugga, Three Ugga Dugga..etc" Don't forget the southern, redneck drawl or to spit the juice from your oral tobacco products, or else your Ugga Duggas will not be sufficient.
Bobby looked at Earl and asked, "I forgot was it three Ugga duggas or five Ugga duggas for the bolts on this here McCormick W9?"

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Why is this even a subject?. OEM Specs are always followed unless they are revised, By the OEM.
Follow The OEM manual.
Because it gives a whole lot of people a chance to pound their chests and claim that they know the best way. No different that a million other topics on here. Hopefully OP is smart enough to realize that Ford knows better than everyone on here and follows their recommendations.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Because it gives a whole lot of people a chance to pound their chests and claim that they know the best way. No different that a million other topics on here. Hopefully OP is smart enough to realize that Ford knows better than everyone on here and follows their recommendations.
Agree. Unless you are modifying, then you will go with that individual OEM recommendations for the parts you are replacing and hope they done their R&D home work to ensure reliability, safety minimum standards are maintained or Hopefully Increased ETC.

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Follow The OEM manual.
mfg specifications exist for 2 reasons

1. specific procedures when building
2. specific procedures when repairing

every fastener in your vehicle has a torque spec. every screw, every nut, every bolt.

in the real world we know there are mission critical things with very tight tolerances and then there are things you can just feel your way through.

lug nuts are important but so simple and common it really doesn't take much to learn what feels right... but some don't have the experience or they think the mfg's spec is gospel or maybe they're just afraid of doing something wrong or maybe all of the above.

to suggest that this is a Epeen measuring contest to unburden someone with the hassle of torqing these down properly (which most people don't do anyhow even if they are using a torque wrench) is just bad.

people have been attaching wheels to axles with nuts for a really long time, guys, don't over think it.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'll continue to enjoy all the threads about stripped lug nuts, broken/cross-threaded studs etc in the future.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
you guys know modern impacts have different torque settings and cross threading has nothing to do with how much torque you use, right?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
you guys know modern impacts have different torque settings and cross threading has nothing to do with how much torque you use, right?
Good thing I hand loosen and tighten my lug nuts with hand tools only.