Sponsored

What lug nut torque have you settled on?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
hey so i'm gonna get a lot of hat eon this but whatever.

this very much goes off of feel, i've been doing this this way for more than 2 decades.
EVERY STEP USES THE STAR PATTERN

1. hand thread nuts on
2. ugga dugga them to snug the wheel to the face
3. ugga dugga one round trip (just to get the nuts to stop moving easily)
4. ugga dugga one round trip (just a quick pull)

that's it. never had problems and i push all my vehicles hard.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
hey so i'm gonna get a lot of hat eon this but whatever.

this very much goes off of feel, i've been doing this this way for more than 2 decades.
EVERY STEP USES THE STAR PATTERN

1. hand thread nuts on
2. ugga dugga them to snug the wheel to the face
3. ugga dugga one round trip (just to get the nuts to stop moving easily)
4. ugga dugga one round trip (just a quick pull)

that's it. never had problems and i push all my vehicles hard.
Bingo.

Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
130 ft lbs. It's tight enough and doesn't gall the seats. I've never had a lug nut back off or snapped a stud with 3-4 changes a year. Not exactly track frequency, but often enough.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
OP check DM.
Spec is clean and dry stud and nut: 148-150 ftlb
Yes it has been listed both ways in various Ford docs.
Just use can of brake cleaner briefly of both and wipe dry w paper towel or clean rag. Then assemble.

Ford's surveillance of nut and stud materials is extremely good. There is no question of how reliable the wheel and hub assembly is and the robustness of the design even for non mechanically inclined consumers to change a wheel in event of a flat without a calibrated torque wrench.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
130 ft lbs. It's tight enough and doesn't gall the seats. I've never had a lug nut back off or snapped a stud with 3-4 changes a year. Not exactly track frequency, but often enough.
Ford had plenty of GT350 owner use less than 135 and they trashed their studs on track. Hot track tire forces are enough grip to create serious amounts of torque on the brakes (yup, and across the wheel/brake/hub sandwich). The only thing keeping the sandwich from rotating against each other even 0.001mm is:
clamping load x coefficient of friction.

ANY rotation will cause bending loads and fatigue damage or failure. Bolts should be pure tension only.

Always torque to design spec.
Never allow any lube, wd-40, anything to get on hub, brake, wheel mating surfaces.
Clean stud and nuts with VOC type brake cleaner (acetone basically) that evaporates clean.
HFC brake cleaner never use on hot parts to avoid creating HFC degrading to HF (hydrofluoric acid theoretically can cause special case of corrosion)

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The wheel manufacturer gave me a set of lug nuts and said the torque spec was 105ft/lbs.
The torque spec is driven by the stud, not the wheel and/or lug nut. The wheel manufacturer gave you a generic number based on historical values, not anything specific to what you have installed. Maybe you're lucky to be fine with 2/3rds of the required clamping force, but I personally wouldn't try.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The torque spec is driven by the stud, not the wheel and/or lug nut. The wheel manufacturer gave you a generic number based on historical values, not anything specific to what you have installed. Maybe you're lucky to be fine with 2/3rds of the required clamping force, but I personally wouldn't try.
I’ve been using it with no issue for over a year now, and although I don’t disagree with determining torque being based on the bolt, this thread exists because it’s controversial at best.

Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I torque to Ford spec on both my mustang and F-150, 150 ft.lbs. Wouldn’t even consider any other torque value. Have used the manufacturers torque spec for every lug nut I have ever torqued on every vehicle I have ever owned, and any friends vehicle I have ever worked on, never an issue.

Doug

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Direct from their website
83D82B73-C75C-43AD-A483-B487FB2F4080.jpeg

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
The factory spec is fine. Even at 150 ft/lbs the seat will not gall as long as it stays clean and the lug isn’t installed with an air impact. I’ve used 130 ft/lbs before and it does work, but again the factory spec works as it should and doesn’t damage the lug, wheel, or stud as long as you do your part properly. Some people want to grease/oil the seat to try and “save” it but that’s one of the worst things you can do with ball and seat style lug nuts. Dry application 100% of the time.

If the 150 ft/lbs spec scares you, you should see the torque spec on my 1991 Ford F800 with budd pattern wheels lol. 450-500 ft/lbs on all 10 lugs

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
~1.5-2 second being impacted by my milwaukee high torque
Sponsored