What is too many miles on '15 - '21 S550 Mustang GT

Bytegrinder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 5.0
I'm currently in the market for buying a used S550 Mustang GT. This will be my first time ever owning a mustang and I would like to know or have an idea of what would be considered too many miles? Or how long y'all's have mustangs have lasted? Also, what would be the sweet spot mileage wise since it wouldn't be brand new.

Thanks, guys!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Quite sure I read someone here has 100k already on gt. I know there's EcoBoost over 100k too comparatively. Id imagine GT's being NA would outlive a EB, but I could be wrong. just figure turbos running boost has to be a little harder on the small engine longterm.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
My personal rule of thumb is 10,000 km (6,000 miles) or under per year for any used vehicle I've bought.

Condition of the interior and paint will also tell you a lot.

Detailed service history is useful as well.

Good Luck!

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Mileage is not an indicator of anything. Maintenance (records) and general care (inspection) of the vehicle more important imo.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
16.23 miles

In all seriousness though I've bought two used GT. One had 7k one had 13k. To each their own but I think majority of mustang owners baby their shit. Present company on this forum excluded. Haha

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
16.23 miles

In all seriousness though I've bought two used GT. One had 7k one had 13k. To each their own but I think majority of mustang owners baby their shit. Present company on this forum excluded. Haha
I baby my shit as in red headed step child baby.

These cars were designed to drive the piss out of them. Don't keep that pussy tight for the next dude lol.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When I was younger anything over 12k miles per year was considered to be excessive. But back then cars seldom made it much past 100k miles.
With modern cars 250k - 250k miles is not unusual. Two of my previous 3 daily exceeded 250k with one still on the road over 300k. The Edge in my drive has 186k on it and if you didn't look at the odometer you'd never know.
With a Mustang, especially a GT, I'd be far more concerned about maintenance and how close to stock it has remained. These cars are so often modified and I can't say that I often trust the work done nor how the car is treated afterwards.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I'm currently in the market for buying a used S550 Mustang GT. This will be my first time ever owning a mustang and I would like to know or have an idea of what would be considered too many miles? Or how long y'all's have mustangs have lasted? Also, what would be the sweet spot mileage wise since it wouldn't be brand new.

Thanks, guys!
My 2cents is this. considering that there are many with AC problems and some folks with MT82 problems (my '15 and '17 MT82 (both on EB) were fine, 3rd gear nibble in winter, but otherwise, just fine), maybe find a car that is still within 3/36 warranty so you can get the ESP from flood ford (or anyone else).

I saw on this forum that 6MT on '18 have aluminum forks which sometimes can fail? I was shopping for '18 GT, but ended up finding a '19 GT with even more specs for comparable price to a an '18. It is way under the 3/36, so I have already taken it into my Ford dealer and they replaced front strut bearings, driver's visor (failed homelink), and battery under warranty. I will probably get ESP before the end of this spring.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It is not the miles that matter...I have seen many low mileage vehicles that are in terrible condition that were destroyed by lack of maintenance and general care. I would much rather have a vehicle that the previous owner loved on and performed necessary maintenance. Case in point...Got a friend who bought a 2016 GT350 with 152K miles! It was a one owner car that was a daily driver, 110mi/day, owned by an elderly guy that loved performance cars. He had documented 20 oil changes in that period of ownership or roughly an oil change every 7500 miles. Engine was spotless inside the filler neck btw. He has owned it now for several months with no issues.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You'll have to start with sharing what sort of Mustang you want, and what your budget is.

Miles will be further down the list of concerns after those two determining factors.

Want a base EB car with a budget of $25K? You can get a new car.

Want a loaded GT Premium with a budget of $25K? You're gonna have a bad day.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
I have a 17 GT and I average 3000 miles per year. But I live in a cold weather climate where I don't drive it in the winter. My choice though.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I'll chime in with others here and say that maintenance is key, not necessarily miles. Highway vs. city vs. track miles are very different things.

In my area, 15,000 miles a year isn't uncommon, and I generally do around 20-22,000 miles with my commute. This car is my daily driver, and in that sense it isn't precious. I bought this car to drive and enjoy, and it will be thoroughly 'seasoned' for the next owner, whenever their turn comes around.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well to some, anything beyond 1-8 delivery miles and then thereā€™s the crew that donā€™t drive them in the winter either ... so by the time it is driven, thatā€™s another 5-25 miles before itā€™s stored again...

So Iā€™d say any 2015-2020 S550 with approximately 40mi on it is not worth buying.

:crackup:

</sarcasm>

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
For a mustang I will never get anything over 10k miles a year and will not buy any mustang over 50k miles. I rather save up and get a new one to my liking.
I recalled there is a guy on here was selling his 2017 gt that had a whipple with very low miles like under 2k miles for like thirty some thousand. He babied that car. I think he took the ad off. If I have not wanting a 2020 with an a10 I would have bought his.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I draw the line at 50k miles for any used car, unless it is a very exceptional deal. But, that is just my personal risk tolerance. Yours may vary.
Sponsored