Sponsored

What is this component above my glove box

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Hi everyone- I am new to this Forum. I recently got a 2017 GT Premium PP. The car is absolutely awesome although like others have found the speakers are terrible.
Anyway as I was poking around getting to know my car I found this box above the glove box. It has some video and audio outputs and an antenna on it. I suspect that it is part of the infotainment system but it was just laying on the tray above the glove box and that doesn't seem like a standard thing to do. Anyone know what his is? Is it supposed to be here or the the PO put it there? Also there was a jumper cable sitting next to it (in my fingers on the left side of the picture). Anyone know what this is for? Thanks in advance for your help with the mystery.
Copy%20of%2020180709_183144_zps9859l8gf.jpg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That is something that was added aftermarket by the previous owner. That box is supposed to hold the owner's manual.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that it's something for an aftermarket radio. But who knows...

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Definitely not OE. The blue-tipped coaxial cable at the side is likely the original coax to (or from) the APIM...which has been disconnected to allow the new box to be added.

And what is the new box? Hmm. Perhaps a GPS module, a camera module or possibly one of those devices that bypasses the screen-interaction-disabled-while-car-is-in-motion. It would be informative to see the printing (model # maybe?) and the labels on the inputs/outputs.

As an aside...I'd think that set-up rattles like crazy unless it is affixed and it's just hard to see in the pic. But even the un-used cable ends must rattle, no?

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Yeah, something "aftermarket"... probably radio.

Look for some type of serial / model # on it & google that #.

I'm guessing its something to enable back up camera or aftermarket stereo amplifier, for more power/speakers.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
An electronic crossover to supply an amplifier with lowered frequencies and turn on functions

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
It's the government tracking you, Hide your kids, hide your wife!

But in all seriousness, it might have been put there my aliens.

Well..... or maybe it a highly top secret device smuggled out of the ford factory that was meant for an international spy to over throw the plan to take over the dark side of the moon.

Honestly, i have no clue, i was just pulled out of the matrix.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'd head straight back to the place you bought it from and tell them that's some BULL CRAP!

OP
OP

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Here are some more pics of the mystery device:
20180710_111841-2016x980_zpsklxf4aox.jpg

20180710_111827-2016x980_zpsdi3zzjjh.jpg

20180710_111847-2016x980_zpsyf1bd2fy.jpg

20180710_111901-980x2016_zpsksvjluip.jpg

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
edit: nvm..... yea looks audio related lol

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Mulitimedia interface thingy???

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Low-voltage differential signaling
Low-voltage differential signaling, or LVDS, also known as TIA/EIA-644, is a technical standard that specifies electrical characteristics of a differential, serial communications protocol. LVDS operates at low power and can run at very high speeds using inexpensive twisted-pair copper cables. LVDS is a physical layer specification only; many data communication standards and applications use it and add a data link layer as defined in the OSI model on top of it.

LVDS
Low-voltage differential signaling (LVDS)
Year created 1994
Speed 655 Mbit/s (rates up to 1-3 Gbit/s possible)

Basic LVDS circuit operation showing current flowing in a loop back to the driver and the resulting lower radiated emission (EMI) due to field coupling within the differential pair
LVDS was introduced in 1994, and has become popular in products such as LCD-TVs, automotive infotainment systems, industrial cameras and machine vision, notebook and tablet computers, and communications systems. The typical applications are high-speed video, graphics, video camera data transfers, and general purpose computer buses

Can anyone explain this in relation to the mystery box?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
What screen do you have in your Stang? The OEM premium screen or is it a tomtop or something similar?

Other people's stereo messes are generally a nightmare since you don't know what they did or what they did it for.

Possibly an interface to stream video into the cars av system?

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
i'm thinking it's a low voltage security camera setup control box that is run on 12V. maybe a bumper cam. i highly doubt that is for the back up cam. some one was trying to push some serious resolution, not to mention this has some weird DVR (digital video recorder) option. yeah is this car used? this would not in a new car.
Sponsored