Sponsored

What is the tread depth to pass on Ford CPO vehicle inspection checklist?

jim17GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm just curious if anyone can answer this question. Maybe someone that works for a Ford Dealer or just knows the ins and outs of the CPO 172 point inspection.

What does the tread depth have to be for a car to pass the tread depth portion of the 172 Point inspection performed by the dealer to be deemed a Certified Pre Owned car?

I have looked all over and can't find a number for Ford, but in GM's certified program, It states ALL 4 tires have to have 50% tread life remaining to pass their 172 point inspection, meaning 5/32nd.

Any help on this would be appreciated. 2 weeks ago I bought a 2017 Mustang GT From a Ford dealer as a Certified Pre Owned car. It has the PP 1 19 inch Black rims. I went to Discount Tire today and the rear tires are at 3/32nd..

I feel they should have replaced these tires before it could be certified. These tires are well below 50% tread life remaining.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The checklist just says “tire tread depth”, it doesn’t guarantee anything specific.

Tires and that type of stuff is in plain view, you should have looked at the car before signing... and why would you trust the seller to do any sort of real inspection, when they have a good financial interest to let things slide? We’re talking about used car dealers here. If you wanted a proper inspection you could have taken it to any mechanic of your choice and paid $100-200 to get a thorough and complete inspection and all the results in writing.

Anyway go complain to the dealer if they are really that bad, but nowhere does it say a CPO car will come with like-new tires.

OP
OP

jim17GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It was a FORD dealer selling a Ford certified pre owned vehicle. It wasn't some tote your note place..

Why would I feel the need to pay someone to check it when they perform a 172 point inspection to certify it? They advertise this CPO as a big deal.

Regardless. I'm not complaining.. just wondering if the CPO certification has a minimum tread depth to pass. That's what I was asking but thanks for sharing your opinion..

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I got mine as a CPO and the rears weren't in great shape. I was told they wont replace them unless they are totally bald, showing dry rot or had something stuck in the tread. They did offer my 2 new tires at a discounted cost, which I didn't take. I read through all the paper work from the inspection and didn't see a mention of tread depth. It was just checked off good.

It ever hurts to ask and the worst thing you get is a no.

OP
OP

jim17GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the comments. This is what I was wondering..

Sponsored