Sponsored

What is the difference between the 10R80 and 10R60?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does anyone know or have the hardware or software specs on the 10R80 vs 10R60?

I’m asking because the 2020 Explorer ST loaner I’m in has the 10R60.

The 10R60 shifts drastically different than the 10R80 - and in a positive manner. The 10R60 is not slushy, jerky, laggy or clunky when it downshifts. In fact, you can barely tell that it’s downshifting when coming to a stop and there’s no jerkiness. It doesn’t matter what Drive Mode or if the 10R60 is in Auto or Manual trans mode - the shift points and performance is extremely smooth and flawless.

So I was trying to get info as to what makes the 10R60 shift and perform so much different from the 10R80?

Why has there been so many reported issues about the 10R80 on this site regarding harshness in shifts or jerkiness when it downshifts, etc?

We do know many members have found the factory fluid fill on the 10R80 has been low. Members have reported after checking and filling to proper level that shift points have improved, but that there is still some notchiness in the downshifts when in auto or manual trans modes.

I know of the 10R80 TSBs as I started the thread on them and have kept it updated. Even with the 2019’s there still seems to be some reports of 10R80 issues from M6G members.

Is the 10R60 that much different as far as hardware and software parameters?

Anyone?
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Is the 10R60 that much different as far as hardware and software parameters?
Hardparts should be very similar between the two, but soft parts (eg. clutches) should be different since they both have vastly different uses and expectations. Between tuning (which yes would also be different for an SUV vs. performance car) and the clutches there will definitely be a different feel to it. Just tuning alone can make a transmission act like a completely different animal, and the calibrations engineers went soft and smooth on the Explorer given its target audience and intended use vs. the Mustang.