JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
What is the benefit of a wider tire?

I've been under the impression the compound of the tire and the tread of the tire determine the grip and the scenarios in how the wheel is beneficial.

The PP1 comes staggered 255... 275.... If I were to run a wider tire in both the front and the rear but kept the same size rim what would be the differences in how the car handles and performs?

If I go with a wider tire does that effect the differential in any way? Do I have to run tire sizes of a certain ratio front to rear? Does anything need to be altered with running a wider tire?

EDIT: Do I need a different size rim to run a wider tire?
Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I would recommend giving this a read https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

Wider tires change the shape of the contact patch to favor more cornering grip and also allow the capability to run for lower air pressures which increases contact patch size... providing more overall grip. This is given that the wider tire is mounted on a properly sized wheel.

The biggest contributor of grip (from solely a tire perspective) is thread compound.