Sponsored

What is reasonable to expect Ford warranty to cover?

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
What's reasonable for a dealer to cover under a warranty? I have a 2019 GT350, still under 2000 miles. I switched to different rims and during that swap we noticed the passenger rear wheel had some thick oil on it. I took to the dealer and they say there is a tear in a boot and it is close to $800 since it is only sold with a shaft as a set. They said a boot normally doesn't just tear so if they tried to get paid back by Ford they would be denied. I bought the car with 5 miles and did nothing. They did point out I had the car shipped in. They want me to pay $800. Do you think them denying the claim is fair?
20200706_210941.jpg
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
You need a new dealer. They know they should try to get that warrantied and should be covered. Not just assume it wont

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They said a boot normally doesn't just tear
That’s what the damn warranty is for. Time to escalate. Service manager, general manager, owner. This is a $60k car. These idiots need to do their jobs.

Sorry, but dealers like this really piss me off.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
That’s what the damn warranty is for. Time to escalate. Service manager, general manager, owner. This is a $60k car. These idiots need to do their jobs.

Sorry, but dealers like this really piss me off.
Or a customer service manager...

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There have been a few sporadic cases of this happening.

It is absolutely warrantable.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
There are how many ford dealers in metro Detroit ? No less than 17 according to Ford's dealer locator. Time to tell the current one ........ AMF

OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
The irony is I was just going to ask these guys some Brono info....

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I wouldn't buy toilet paper from them. There is a dealer like that here in the Dallas, TX area. Sam Pack 5 Star Ford. Happy to sell at an inflated price, low ball your trade. I'd have my car towed elsewhere before I'd let them put air in my tires.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The irony is I was just going to ask these guys some Brono info....
Go see the GM and tell him that but that you no longer trust them to honor their warranties so you're going somewhere else.
That might get their attention.

OP
OP
GT30fan

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Update: I actually pointed out that I was asking around on social media, and now they said they will warranty it. Thank God.

But here is my full history with the dealer thus far.

1) Set an appointment aprx 4 weeks in advance to do the shifter recall. Granted, this was during Covid times, but most of this was by email and all the emails clearly stated why I was setting the appointment, it was 2 things... a mis-aligned rear bumper and the shifter recall

When the date at last arrived, he asked why was I bringing in the car. I was shocked, but I reminded him what was in writing. I left the car and got a call later that the shifter parts aren't in stock and they can't get them as they are back ordered, so it will need to be a few more weeks (another hassle of finding a ride, etc etc). But during that first visit, they did in fact look at the rear bumper and said it wasn't warranty as my car (at this point having maybe 250 miles or something, I received with 5) "had someone in there before so it can't be under warranty, and there was a clip added" . I had no idea what they were talking about, but I let it go since despite them not "fixing" it, they put the bumper back on pretty well and actually, it looked pretty good. They also washed the car (this is the only time they ever had) at the body shop, which I think was a nice classy touch by the body shop division

2) Still waiting for the shifter recall, I did an early oil change with them at just under 1,000 miles. 2 very strange things happened. First, when done there was a part left in the cup holder. I asked what it was and they said it was some kind of bolt that came in the oil change kit, perhaps an adapter that I could of needed if mine had been an older model. Which it is true older ones had a different filter set up, but nothing with a bolt. I might of otherwise tossed it, but I googled the numbers on the plastic bag when I got home, and it was in fact a shifter part! I think they some how put my case number on the bag (had an added piece of like painters tape they wrote numbers on) and no one really dug in to see what it was. Good thing I saved it, I brought it back to them later next visit. However, worse, when I got the car home it was leaking oil all over our newer driveway and garage. I was terrified it had a leak or the oil filter wasn't tight enough, so I took it back. They said it was no big deal, there is no leak it's just that there is a certain amount of oil that leaks out while draining that stays under the car, since there is only a small opening in the aero pan it gets on top of that pan and sits there, but if I was really concerned I could bring it back and they would clean it. Ummmm...yes please. I was really surprised I had to ask. A clean motor (at that point under 1000 miles!) with oil under it I am sure will make for a filthy engine compartment (?), not to mention, again, our driveway and never knowing if it did later leak, is it a worry or not. This is a 60k car mind you

3) I then did the shifter recall (returning the part to them). On this 3rd visit it was pretty straight forward. I always thought the shifter was a little weird to me, I am dying to drive someone else's 350 some day

4) Now this visit, which was, as stated, the rear boot leaking. We set the appointment by an email and of course told them in advance what it was for, and once again, when dropping off, I was asked why I was bringing it in. And again, now I hear it would be a few days but I guess I can understand that as they had to look at the car first, I'm sure. I do worry if they are going to clean up any of the grease the open boot left. My guess is while it's on a hoist they could in 5-10 minutes ......but won't

The car is still there now and I am waiting for the boot to be fixed

Is all this typical?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Its typical for some dealers but not acceptable. I'd move on to another dealer.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They said a boot normally doesn't just tear so if they tried to get paid back by Ford they would be denied. I bought the car with 5 miles and did nothing. They did point out I had the car shipped in. They want me to pay $800. Do you think them denying the claim is fair?
Your dealer is a disgrace to represent Ford. Call Ford Customer Service directly and complain about how that dealer is acting to an obvious warranty issue. CV boots move all the time when when the car is moving, and it could have been nicked at the factory or had a defect. They think someone got under your car and took an Xacto knife to it? ... lol.
Sponsored