Sponsored

What is it like driving '65 - '73 Mustang and how does it compare to a S550??

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
We had a 1970 Mach 1 for awhile. It would run like hell but it didn't want to stop or turn. Steering was floaty. You felt every bump and heard every creak and rattle. That said, it sounded great, smelled great and looked great. No give in the seatbelt though. Once you were in, you were IN.
Sponsored

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
Back in '74, I bought a partially wrecked '71 Fastback 351C RAM AIR, cheap. It had run off the highway. I replaced the rad support and #2 crossmember. Put car back together on a frame machine.

I quickly found out why it was wrecked.........the drum brakes! This generation Mustang had the GM steering box that was much tighter and an improvment...too big to retrofit to earlier Mustangs.
71 car was more solid than my previous Mustangs. Handled better for sure, but all Mustangs need disc brakes.
The Cleveland was only 270+ hp, but compared to the 289's, it was a real monster for the day.

I had two 65's and a bunch of Fairlanes and Torino GT's, and have another 65 coupe yet, that is upgraded with steering and suspension mods and a healthy 289.

Yes, all of them have shitty steering, crummy seats,(except Fairlanes),and rough ride for all. I love them, but they are not even close to a Fox.
A Fox GT is a semi modern car yet.

I may add a new GT soon, or a Bullitt..been looking.

Bill Hamilton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1, 2014 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ecoboot Mustang Pony Package Convertible
With my 1970 Mach 1, instead of comparing her to your Grandmother, I prefer to think of as her still attractive Mother. Still looks good and has a nice body. Just maybe not as fast or daring as she once was. 😉

Last edited:

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
It's amazing how technology changes within years. The differences from tech from early 2000's to 2021 is astonishing. I just hope they don't abolish gas powered cars all together in the near future.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - When reading about comparisons of old and new generations of cars with regard to handling characteristics, etc, keep in mind that for many of us who had cars from the the '60s, those not so great handling characteristics are part of the nostalgia we experience when driving them and why some of us still have them. I had power steering on my old cars as well as on my current '65 GTO. While I'm still comfortable with drum brakes considering the limited driving I do with it, I would definitly not be without power steering. As someone pointed out, backing into a parking space at car gatherings w/o power steering at my age (79) would be a bear... Bruce

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I had the pleasure of being offered to drive a coworker's late 60's Firebird convertible. He said that I could only drive it in the parking lot because it was SO different from modern cars.

Being 6' 1", I was surprised the seat had no travel. I had my knees up around the steering wheel. The seat just doesn't go back.

Next, the steering was power-assist but , to me, barely. The biggest shock was that it took SEVERAL revolutions just to make a right turn.

Throttle response was so different.

Brakes? well I felt I had to push way too far before they started to grab.

Was this really state of the art back then? How did people drive the car?

The car sounded fantastic but I learn quickly to appreciate the advances we now have even though I feel we have gone too far too.

I would love to hear what it is like to drive an early Mustang and how it compares to a modern S550.

Please post your experiences on these classics.

Thank you.
I had a 65 convertible that I bought cheap in 71 cause my roomate's mother gave him a 65 a buick grand sport. I don't know the engine in that car was tired it had single exhaust and was not really quick at all I also had a 65 impala 283 with 75000 miles on it that was a lot quicker than my mustang. It wasn't a fun experience at all. But I remember a lot of those cars with the 4 barrel were quite quick. The 289 HYPO's were scary fast. When I had my new 67 GTO I would rather run a 390 mustang than a 289 HYPO. If you beat the HYPO you were picking on a small block and when you would lose to one it was embarasssing they were usually fast.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I had a 65 convertible that I bought cheap in 71 cause my roomate's mother gave him a 65 a buick grand sport. I don't know the engine in that car was tired it had single exhaust and was not really quick at all I also had a 65 impala 283 with 75000 miles on it that was a lot quicker than my mustang. It wasn't a fun experience at all. But I remember a lot of those cars with the 4 barrel were quite quick. The 289 HYPO's were scary fast. When I had my new 67 GTO I would rather run a 390 mustang than a 289 HYPO. If you beat the HYPO you were picking on a small block and when you would lose to one it was embarasssing they were usually fast.
You know let's really go back after the mustang, impala, GTO, I bought a 1950 Olds rocket 88. When that car came it was the original Detroit muscle car overhead valves turbohydramatic 4 speed auto you would redline in 1st gear at about 10 mph. This car was quicker than my Impala and my mustang and it was 25 years old when I bought on the original engine and transmission. This was a trip to drive it was quite fast for what it was it was big, tall, and very comfortable. We took it on some road trips and did 75mph all day with no problem. It didn't have power steering it was the stripped down model that you bought back then if you wanted to win the stop light grand prix. It handled terrible the brakes sucked but it was a blast to drive. I really should have kept it and restored it I really loved that car.

ti-dé

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
André
Vehicle(s)
mustang california special 2016 mustang coupe 1966
I have a mustang 66 that I restored and had painted in a body shop.I made a clone of a mustang gt and put a scoop of shelby on the hood.when I drive it is pleasant and full of people greets me and shows the thumb in the air,but it's an old car and nothing comparable to my mustang california specail 2016
st-mathieu de beloeil  20 aout 2016 012.jpg

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
With my 1970 Mach 1, instead of comparing her to your Grandmother, I prefer to think of as her still attractive Mother. Still looks good and has a nice body. Just maybe not as fast or daring as she once was. 😉
Sexy moms/grandmas are cool, Bill. I like your thinking...

Sponsored

Bill Hamilton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1, 2014 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ecoboot Mustang Pony Package Convertible
Sexy moms/grandmas are cool, Bill. I like your thinking...
Sadly, I'm of the age now that when I see an attractive looking young woman, my thoughts are more like, "Wow! I'll bet her mother's a Fox!" (LOL)

And I'm a grandfather who drives a 1970 Mach 1 and a 2014 Shelby GT500. But when I ride with grandma, we take her 2019 Ecoboost Mustang Convertible. :wink:

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Sadly, I'm of the age now that when I see an attractive looking young woman, my thoughts are more like, "Wow! I'll bet her mother's a Fox!" (LOL)

And I'm a grandfather who drives a 1970 Mach 1 and a 2014 Shelby GT500. But when I ride with grandma, we take her 2019 Ecoboost Mustang Convertible. :wink:
I hear you about seeing attractive young women and wondering about their Mom!
BTW-You've got more Mustangs than my local Ford dealer, and much more collectible....

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Someone earlier said it best. It’s like you’re in a parade every time you start her up. The emotion it brings out of you and others makes up for the stone age technology. Even that has its charm, the metal on metal slam of the doors and the raw sound of an old carb “cam in block” V8 exhaust note.

31F0A6DE-02DA-4579-81B3-B7E473EAD3D6.jpeg
010E2F86-2688-4044-9C42-83CE93221F3A.jpeg
E3C3B563-BDC8-4A0B-B599-2A7C37EB226F.jpeg

jrodrigo621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2020 shelby gt500 2016 green 5.0
Obviously its way different, I have 7 muscle cars & its a love/hate cause all the maintenance that you need to do almost every single time you use the car!

It is a little bit different when you have a modified muscle car regarding suspension, fuel inyection engine & disc brakes.

I have almost every car stock except my 67 gt500 that i build with a 5.0 cobra engine & a paxton supercharger, some wilwood disc brakes & customize suspension setup.

With the stock ones, one day the fuel gauge can be broken, the next ride will be transmision issues, blow gasket, fuel pump, and the list goes on but you get used to it and it becomes rutinary to be fixing different issues with the car, but hey ITS WORTH IT!

Every time I drive one of them, smile ear to ear!

Besides, everyone nowadays can buy a new sport, muscle or super car!

If you dont like the steering, get some leather gloves and drive like steve mcqueen
Sponsored