Sponsored

What is it like driving '65 - '73 Mustang and how does it compare to a S550??

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fair enough, y'all didn't know about lung cancer either. Probably because the tobacco companies didn't want you to know.
We're getting way off topic, but the concept of being "more willing to do their own management of life's risks" is just as important here as it was (is) for risks associated with driving.

I can't speak for others, but I know I didn't need anybody else using the threat of lung cancer to get me to choose not to smoke.

Norm
Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
My '65 was a 289, 2+2 with a top loader 4 speed manual. It didn't have power brakes, power steering or a/c. It drove hard compared to my '72. Both of those cars had drum brakes & when they got wet, stopping was sometimes interesting. My '72 had power brakes, steering & a/c, with a C-6 automatic. It handled good for it's day. My '83 would be the next step up & it was fun to drive, being that it was smaller than the '72. It has the T-10 5 speed manual & a 5.0 with the factory Holly 4bbl. Compared to my '15, well let's say the '65 was night & day, miles apart.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The 64 1/2 to 73 generations driving characteristics compared to a new model is similar to comparing a lever-action typewriter to your laptop. There is a satisfying mechanical feel to the older stuff, but it's not nearly as fast or efficient and the effect of any errors are magnified.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
as my sig says i have a 66.
what most have said is true here so i wont repeat.
thing is, i cannot drive the 66 like i do the Boss or '15. no way will it handle the speed and cornering.
its more of a "cruise" car....so you have to KNOW the limits and understand the lack of technology in this era car....
AND...
you actually have to drive it! pay attention to what you are doing and not on your cellphone!
these cars REQUIRE you to drive them....they dont do it for you.....

the fools who wreck their newer gen mustangs into crowds or in ditches acting the fool will never be able to drive one of these older cars...
they would kill themselves first time....

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Solid steel dashboards, non-collapsible steering columns, a thud and either moaning or dead silence after a wreck were the definition of airbags back then...

:devil:
Followed by a one syllable word begging with the letter F when you look out of your cracked windshield and see nothing but blue, which used to be your hood. Not that I speak from experience or anything... :crying:

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My '83 would be the next step up & it was fun to drive, being that it was smaller than the '72. It has the T-5 5 speed manual & a 5.0 with the factory Holly 4bbl.
Sorry, that was bugging me.

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I have a 68 (look in my garage) and a 2020 gt.

The best way to put it, is that you are always "driving" while in the 68. There is no rack and pinion steering so the car goes wherever the hell it wants to go. Suspension is non-existent, braking from 60 takes about a football field to stop, and you better know how to adjust points etc, and be mechanically inclined because these older cars require you to touch them at least every 3 months. They smell of vinyl, gasoline, exhaust and there is zero sound insulation. The wipers are useless, it's hotter than hell inside them, and the windows don't seal worth a shit. In other words, they are a fucking blast to own! I adore mine.

The 2020 is start, floor it, hang on.
I also have a 68 coupe and this opinion is right on the nose. You have to be a much more "active" and cautious driver when operating that vehicle. The car itself is not safe by modern standards, so if you get hit, it's going to cause some serious damage to you. The brakes suck so you cannot stop on a dime and the steering box, even when new, will have a lot of play in it so it kind of 'wanders' around as you go down the road.

A resto mod, i'm sure is on another level, but as they sit from the factory like mine is, there is a night and day difference between a modern car and a 60's muscle car.

The smells and sounds though more than make up for it. :)

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I also have a 68 coupe and this opinion is right on the nose. You have to be a much more "active" and cautious driver when operating that vehicle. The car itself is not safe by modern standards, so if you get hit, it's going to cause some serious damage to you. The brakes suck so you cannot stop on a dime and the steering box, even when new, will have a lot of play in it so it kind of 'wanders' around as you go down the road.

A resto mod, i'm sure is on another level, but as they sit from the factory like mine is, there is a night and day difference between a modern car and a 60's muscle car.

The smells and sounds though more than make up for it. :)
I just wish that everyone else would recognize that my 40+ year old car or truck does not handle/stop as well as their new honda. Got cut off this morning, luckily it didn't amount to anything, but dude, if you cut me off like that when I'm in a 34 year old bronco and the person in front of you has to hit their brakes, I'm coming through your back window, doesn't matter. And at least that has power brakes and disc fronts. there's still no anti-lock feature, it will lock up in a heartbeat and slide.

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I just wish that everyone else would recognize that my 40+ year old car or truck does not handle/stop as well as their new honda. Got cut off this morning, luckily it didn't amount to anything, but dude, if you cut me off like that when I'm in a 34 year old bronco and the person in front of you has to hit their brakes, I'm coming through your back window, doesn't matter. And at least that has power brakes and disc fronts. there's still no anti-lock feature, it will lock up in a heartbeat and slide.
Yeah, I very rarely drive the 68, and when I do it's short distances. I never pull out in front of anyone or ride anyone's ass. Makes me wonder how people drove back when the car was new. Were they as aggressive?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Yeah, I very rarely drive the 68, and when I do it's short distances. I never pull out in front of anyone or ride anyone's ass. Makes me wonder how people drove back when the car was new. Were they as aggressive?
Even from my memories of driving 20 years ago, people where not near as aggressive, because handling and braking were not nearly as forgiving. except for sports cars. guys in camaros, mustangs, firebirds drove like everyone does today, tailgating, cutting through traffic, etc. but the minivans and trucks always gave decent room and a wide birth. I'd imagine that decades before that people gave a bit more room to each other as cars got progressively worse the further back you go.

but now with an 8klb truck being able to outhandle, outrun, and outbrake a sports car of 40 years ago, everyone drives like they're in the indy 500.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
More things we just dealt with and didn't worry about.

Left arms probably got sunburned more often than right arms (courtesy of no A/C in many cars), but then again we were outdoors more than people are today.

Norm
Now that you mention it, I do miss being able to put my left arm up on the top of the door.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Now that you mention it, I do miss being able to put my left arm up on the top of the door.
One of my favorite things about old cars.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Live axle rear suspension. Complete and utter garbage. Truly terrible engineering for a performance car. The only thing that would be worse, is to also have FRONT live axle suspension too.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Are new Mustangs safer? Some of you may have no idea. Pre '67 cars had single hydraulic circuit brakes, all metal/glass in the interior (some but not much plastic), and solid steering columns. As in, a 3 foot long steel rod that would go through you like a javelin in a front end crash. Sometimes driving the '66 C2 scares the daylights out of me.

Check this out if you want some perspective.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They ruined such a beautiful car... :frown:
Couldn't they crash that Malibu into a piece of crap that wouldn't have been missed, like a Prius or something?
Yes, we know '59 cars were completely unsafe, there's no need to destroy them on purpose just to make a point. :frown:
Sponsored