Sponsored

What is it like driving '65 - '73 Mustang and how does it compare to a S550??

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just about anything with semi-trailing arms or pure trailing arms. Systems that make a transverse leaf spring also serve as one of the lateral links.

Norm
Gotcha.

I'm still amazed at old torsion bar/trailing arm suspensions, like on the 944. But damn if those cars weren't considered great handling cars in their day. Now they have helper coil-overs for the rear of those cars, sounds like they really improve them.
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I love the 67-68 fastback look for sure. But, it would take easily double the $$ (and then some) I paid for my 18 pp1 A10 to restore/restomod it to perform/ride/handle as well. Plus the time/labor involved... Then you would be to scared to drive it. jmo.

Vanillasludge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The musty smell of a 50 year old interior, a painted dash with all that chrome, the creaks, pumping the gas before starting it. the huge sloppy steering wheel, hearing a carb suck air. some of the charms of old cars.
Every time I start getting nostalgic for an old car I stick my head into one and the ptsd brought on by that musty smell snaps me back to my senses.

Old cars are nice to think about but a gigantic letdown to daily drive. I’ve survived two single-master-cylinder brake failures and I’m not sure I have that much luck left.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Old cars are nice to think about but a gigantic letdown to daily drive. I’ve survived two single-master-cylinder brake failures and I’m not sure I have that much luck left.
That's a really easy thing to fix.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Gotcha.

I'm still amazed at old torsion bar/trailing arm suspensions, like on the 944. But damn if those cars weren't considered great handling cars in their day. Now they have helper coil-overs for the rear of those cars, sounds like they really improve them.
The 944 actually handles quite well. It handles better than a modern Mustang in my opinion. It does suck really badly in other ways, but as far as handling it's pretty good.

Of course it helps that it weighs 700 lbs less than a new Mustang, has 50/50 weight balance and it's much lower to the ground. Yes the angle of this photo makes the 944 look a little smaller than it really is. It has a back seat and a 6'4" guy like me fits no problem with plenty of headroom for a helmet. In terms of absolute grip it's not as good as the GT350, but you get a great feel for the road and nothing scary happens at the limits of traction in a corner, even with bumps etc. mid corner. In fact it's amazingly stable.

IMG_2161.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
After reading some of the latest comments in this thread, the thing that sticks out to me is the advancement in technology. Also some of the features in today's cars were considered exotic or from a foreign car back in the 60's and 70's. 480hp was considered a lot back then and going aftermarket would get you close in some instances. My 72 did well for what it was back then and actually handled pretty good. We learned how to drive those cars just like today: pushing the envelope or deciding, in some cases, when to back off before something bad happened.

Ackbar00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT / 1969 Mustang 302
This one is easy to answer.

My 2020 GT is like this:

radial-arm-saw.jpg

My 1969 Coupe:

hand-saw.png

Sometime, you just feel like putting in the work and driving the car. Sometimes, you just wanna press the loud pedal and go fast with no drama.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
It's quite a change. After driving the '66 for years as daily, I bought my first "new" car ('18 FiST). That was nice, not having to deal with vapor lock, aftermarket a/c retrofit, no power brakes/steering, sloppy shifter, poor ergonomics for my 5' 11" fluffy frame, no insulation, no good sound system (only two rear speakers), and a loud exhaust.

Compared to the S550, it's like night and day. Still fun to drive the old cars around though, especially with how light they are and the power that can be made (or swapped). Weighed mine in at 2700 lbs full tank.

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
Had a 67 Fastback with a 390, Holley four-barrel and a four-speed tran. Basically it was the Bullitt car a year before the movie came out. Mine was Canary Yellow with a badge on the front fenders that said High Country, whatever that meant. But driving it? Straight forward speed... absolutely f.....kn great! The rest? You had to do everything you could to control the beast. No brakes, solid rear axle with absolutely no weight on it so the rear would be jumping all over the place. Put air shocks on it, beefed up the rear leaf springs, but that rear just didn't want to stay on the ground. Had disc brakes on front but drums on the rear. You could get hard-pedal real quick. If you saw the movie Bullitt, you saw McQueen miss that turn and slam on the brakes. The car just kept sliding forward until he's able to jam it in reverse. They kept the scene in the movie, even though McQueen was upset about overshooting the turn. That is how they drove though, all power and no brakes.

djdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoVert
I recently drove a 65 convertible, it was like a horse & buggy compared to my 19 convertible.

I use to drive the old ones 90 mph all over California

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I compare it to dancing...

Driving a new performance car is like dancing with a girl in her 20's, driving an old performance car is like dancing with your grandma.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I sold my '65 Fastback in October to buy my new (to me) Mustang. So far, I can't imagine going back to that car. As many others have mentioned - it is a chore to drive. I had installed a ton of upgraded components and it still wasn't great. My car had power steering which was nice but very sloppy. The brakes were my biggest gripe - took forever and a lot of leg to stop the car even with upgraded front pads and front disc brakes. I did install shoulder belts in the front and air conditioning and that helped. It was a 289 A-code but I always wanted to put something more powerful in it. Now I have way more power and comfort! The old car got a ton of attention from strangers though - just such an iconic vehicle 👍🏻

8borerifle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Mustang
I took a ride in my friends 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 427/425 4 speed convertible last summer ( he sadly passed from Covid 2 months ago). He had just put $100.00 of racing fuel in it and we went for a ride with the top down. Would love to own the car, red with red interior. Power was not all that impressive. I'm guessing low to mid 14's. When he hit the brakes the car pulled hard to the right. Ride was kind of bouncy and you could tell it didn't handle well. I have a 2015 Premium PP auto Ecoboost with FP tune and CVS intercooler. No comparison between the two. 2015 is faster and and an amazingly better car. I drove a ton of the old muscle cars (I'm 73 years old) and restored a 1967 Jaguar XKE roadster. My Mustang would destroy the Jag in every way except for the thumbs up I get when driving it. No, I don't want to own a 60's muscle car again!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I fit in the older cars better. The airbags put the steering wheel too far away, I hate having my arms extended while driving. So I end up putting the seat too far forward which makes my legs fold over.

That said the old cars are raw, you have to drive them, I like that. A nose heavy big block muscle car is a blast to drive, as long as you know how to use the throttle and brake.

I prefer manual steering on the older cars, the power units back then were too disconnected from the road.

If I had a 1970 Road Runner I would add new big disk brakes and upgrade the front A arms and springs. The rear is pretty well set up for launching, just remove the clamp on the front of the leaf spring.

I'd daily it

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I have a 67 that I have had for about 20 years. I put disc brakes on all 4 wheels and it has a stroked 347 in it with comparable hp as my '17 GT. They drive nothing alike. I enjoy driving the 67 mostly for nostalgia reasons but it requires so much attention. It rattles, shakes, the steering is vague and despite the disc brakes and the HP the acceleration is slow. Two different animals.
Sponsored