What is it like driving '65 - '73 Mustang and how does it compare to a S550??

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
"open and light" . . . that gets into something I hadn't even thought about before . . . limousines aside, glass was clear in 1960's cars.

Norm
Yes, and as a result glare from all light sources was worse (day and night), the sun would heat the interior more rapidly, and you could get a sunburn through the glass.

OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX, '01 20AE
I think we were forced to recognize that if our car took a long distance to stop, we incorporated that into our driving and our decision making to keep ourselves safe. Same is true for steering
. . .
At the same time, our doors today look to be 3/4 of a foot thick! why? OK, safety but I still ask why when other cars have the same ratings with thinner doors.
Back in the 1960's people readily accepted more risk than they do today, and were more willing to do their own management of life's risks. It was just a whole different attitude, and not limited to where cars were concerned.

Best I can do to explain this is that we drove with the attitude that, statistics and prom-night crash-scare movies be damned, we weren't going to crash. Today it's everybody from the NHTSA and the CPSC down to those who would sell us insurance against everything constantly telling us that we're supposed to focus more on the possibility of crashing and the rest of the bad things in life actually happening, than on doing what we can individually do to keep them from happening in the first place.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
Yes, and as a result glare from all light sources was worse (day and night), the sun would heat the interior more rapidly, and you could get a sunburn through the glass.
More things we just dealt with and didn't worry about.

Left arms probably got sunburned more often than right arms (courtesy of no A/C in many cars), but then again we were outdoors more than people are today.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
More things we just dealt with and didn't worry about.

Left arms probably got sunburned more often than right arms (courtesy of no A/C in many cars), but then again we were outdoors more than people are today.

Norm
With a family history of skin cancer, "just deal with it" isn't a viable life strategy in my book. Though I suppose people then also "just dealt with" lung cancer too from all the smoking they were doing indoors and out. Just because it was done, doesn't mean it should have been.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
With a family history of skin cancer, "just deal with it" isn't a viable life strategy in my book. Though I suppose people then also "just dealt with" lung cancer too from all the smoking they were doing indoors and out. Just because it was done, doesn't mean it should have been.
We dealt with cars the way they were because that's the way they were. The only way they were. It was either that or stay in the house. I'm not even sure how well the effect of sun exposure on skin cancers was understood back then. I certainly don't remember sunscreens advertised as such back then. Those came later, and only with low SPF numbers at first.

People got sunburned at the beach, not from driving to get there, and those who found out that they were susceptible to being burnt learned to be careful (this includes one of my best friends through public schools, and later on, my gf/wife). Outside of limousines, nobody rode in a car that had tinted windows, and all cars looked "lighter" as a result. Today's car glass that carries at least a little tinting from the factory adds visual mass that just makes them look heavier.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
We dealt with cars the way they were because that's the way they were. The only way they were. It was either that or stay in the house. I'm not even sure how well the effect of sun exposure on skin cancers was understood back then. I certainly don't remember sunscreens advertised as such back then. Those came later, and only with low SPF numbers at first.

People got sunburned at the beach, not from driving to get there, and those who found out that they were susceptible to being burnt learned to be careful (this includes one of my best friends through public schools, and later on, my gf/wife). Outside of limousines, nobody rode in a car that had tinted windows, and all cars looked "lighter" as a result. Today's car glass that carries at least a little tinting from the factory adds visual mass that just makes them look heavier.

Norm
Fair enough, y'all didn't know about lung cancer either. Probably because the tobacco companies didn't want you to know.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough, y'all didn't know about lung cancer either. Probably because the tobacco companies didn't want you to know.
We're getting way off topic, but the concept of being "more willing to do their own management of life's risks" is just as important here as it was (is) for risks associated with driving.

I can't speak for others, but I know I didn't need anybody else using the threat of lung cancer to get me to choose not to smoke.

Norm

mindo389

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th Anniversary & 1983 Mustang GT 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
My '65 was a 289, 2+2 with a top loader 4 speed manual. It didn't have power brakes, power steering or a/c. It drove hard compared to my '72. Both of those cars had drum brakes & when they got wet, stopping was sometimes interesting. My '72 had power brakes, steering & a/c, with a C-6 automatic. It handled good for it's day. My '83 would be the next step up & it was fun to drive, being that it was smaller than the '72. It has the T-10 5 speed manual & a 5.0 with the factory Holly 4bbl. Compared to my '15, well let's say the '65 was night & day, miles apart.

TeeLew

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The 64 1/2 to 73 generations driving characteristics compared to a new model is similar to comparing a lever-action typewriter to your laptop. There is a satisfying mechanical feel to the older stuff, but it's not nearly as fast or efficient and the effect of any errors are magnified.

SINBUSTER007

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
as my sig says i have a 66.
what most have said is true here so i wont repeat.
thing is, i cannot drive the 66 like i do the Boss or '15. no way will it handle the speed and cornering.
its more of a "cruise" car....so you have to KNOW the limits and understand the lack of technology in this era car....
AND...
you actually have to drive it! pay attention to what you are doing and not on your cellphone!
these cars REQUIRE you to drive them....they dont do it for you.....

the fools who wreck their newer gen mustangs into crowds or in ditches acting the fool will never be able to drive one of these older cars...
they would kill themselves first time....

3rdRGR

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2
Solid steel dashboards, non-collapsible steering columns, a thud and either moaning or dead silence after a wreck were the definition of airbags back then...

:devil:
Followed by a one syllable word begging with the letter F when you look out of your cracked windshield and see nothing but blue, which used to be your hood. Not that I speak from experience or anything... :crying:

TeeLew

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My '83 would be the next step up & it was fun to drive, being that it was smaller than the '72. It has the T-5 5 speed manual & a 5.0 with the factory Holly 4bbl.
Sorry, that was bugging me.

BigChief

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 17 Ecoboost
I have a 68 (look in my garage) and a 2020 gt.

The best way to put it, is that you are always "driving" while in the 68. There is no rack and pinion steering so the car goes wherever the hell it wants to go. Suspension is non-existent, braking from 60 takes about a football field to stop, and you better know how to adjust points etc, and be mechanically inclined because these older cars require you to touch them at least every 3 months. They smell of vinyl, gasoline, exhaust and there is zero sound insulation. The wipers are useless, it's hotter than hell inside them, and the windows don't seal worth a shit. In other words, they are a fucking blast to own! I adore mine.

The 2020 is start, floor it, hang on.
I also have a 68 coupe and this opinion is right on the nose. You have to be a much more "active" and cautious driver when operating that vehicle. The car itself is not safe by modern standards, so if you get hit, it's going to cause some serious damage to you. The brakes suck so you cannot stop on a dime and the steering box, even when new, will have a lot of play in it so it kind of 'wanders' around as you go down the road.

A resto mod, i'm sure is on another level, but as they sit from the factory like mine is, there is a night and day difference between a modern car and a 60's muscle car.

The smells and sounds though more than make up for it. :)

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
I also have a 68 coupe and this opinion is right on the nose. You have to be a much more "active" and cautious driver when operating that vehicle. The car itself is not safe by modern standards, so if you get hit, it's going to cause some serious damage to you. The brakes suck so you cannot stop on a dime and the steering box, even when new, will have a lot of play in it so it kind of 'wanders' around as you go down the road.

A resto mod, i'm sure is on another level, but as they sit from the factory like mine is, there is a night and day difference between a modern car and a 60's muscle car.

The smells and sounds though more than make up for it. :)
I just wish that everyone else would recognize that my 40+ year old car or truck does not handle/stop as well as their new honda. Got cut off this morning, luckily it didn't amount to anything, but dude, if you cut me off like that when I'm in a 34 year old bronco and the person in front of you has to hit their brakes, I'm coming through your back window, doesn't matter. And at least that has power brakes and disc fronts. there's still no anti-lock feature, it will lock up in a heartbeat and slide.

213 - Auto Mafia Racing