Sponsored

what is consensus on waxing brand new stang?

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
is there any kinda paint curing period we need to wait for before applying a wax to it? bought some nu finish or whatever it’s called, orange bottle, to use on my f150 and taco, but could use on stang too. drove aboht 400 miles since monday so she needs a little wash too lol so i’m just curious about if we should wait to wax before any specific time?
Sponsored

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
My son, with 30 years of auto body work, says no wait is necessary. This is for factory paint due to manufacturer "quick" curing using heat lamps and hot boxes. Six months of cure time is recommended for aftermarket paint work due to the lack of quick curing.

Regardless, I still like to wait three months from build date.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My son, with 30 years of auto body work, says no wait is necessary. This is for factory paint due to manufacturer "quick" curing using heat lamps and hot boxes. Six months of cure time is recommended for aftermarket paint work due to the lack of quick curing.

Regardless, I still like to wait three months from build date.
yeah i’m thinking of waiting. i can do a nice day around march or so, early spring. it’s garage kept anyway.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
is there any kinda paint curing period we need to wait for before applying a wax to it? bought some nu finish or whatever it’s called, orange bottle, to use on my f150 and taco, but could use on stang too. drove aboht 400 miles since monday so she needs a little wash too lol so i’m just curious about if we should wait to wax before any specific time?
Like many questions on this forum, you're sure to get a variety of answers. Here's one to start you off. Years ago, it was recommended to wait 60-90 days to let the paint cure. These days, with manufacturers using modern paint and processes, the paint is fully cured before the car leaves the factory. With yours being a month old already it will be fine to wax it as soon as you want. Waxing will provide UV protection in addition to making the paint look its best. Now you have to decide which wax to use, and whether you prefer hand or machine application. Nu Finish is not a wax, it's a sealant, which leads to the question of whether to just wax it or to prep, polish, seal, and then wax it. See the Cosmetic Upkeep section of the forum for endless opinions on this...

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like many questions on this forum, you're sure to get a variety of answers. Here's one to start you off. Years ago, it was recommended to wait 60-90 days to let the paint cure. These days, with manufacturers using modern paint and processes, the paint is fully cured before the car leaves the factory. With yours being a month old already it will be fine to wax it as soon as you want. Waxing will provide UV protection in addition to making the paint look its best. Now you have to decide which wax to use, and whether you prefer hand or machine application. Nu Finish is not a wax, it's a sealant, which leads to the question of whether to just wax it or to prep, polish, seal, and then wax it. See the Cosmetic section of the forum for endless opinions on this...
oh jeez i was under the impression nu finish was like a better than wax option? i know a bunch of people who use that to “wax” their cars and they all swear by it. hmm

Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nu finish sealant is great to protect the paint.

Use a bodyshop grade prep clean first because there may be protective film residue everywhere.
use it as a wax coating? or should i wax too? also what kind of wash? i have this ceramic wash that gives it a nice shine and let’s water bead up, i really like it. armor all maybe. can’t remember the brand but it’s green. i’ve been enjoying it

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Most certainly don't wait to apply a wax or sealant. As mentioned, factory applied paint is cured right off the line. If the car had been re-painted, the type of paint and application dictates a waiting period of 90 days.

I could a go on a very long tangent on which product/s to use other than Nu-Finish but at the risk of overwhelming you, I'm going to keep my suggestions simple. Without trying to offend, your beautiful Mustang deserves better.

You will get exceptional results from something like Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. Long lasting and easy to use is the blurb.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use

And you could also use a quick wax product like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Simple as spray and wipe.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-quik-wax-g17516-152-oz-spray

While there are hundreds and hundreds of different waxes and sealants on the market, these two are easy to use and easy to find in any automotive store.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most certainly don't wait to apply a wax or sealant. As mentioned, factory applied paint is cured right off the line. If the car had been re-painted, the type of paint and application dictates a waiting period of 90 days.

I could a go on a very long tangent on which product/s to use other than Nu-Finish but at the risk of overwhelming you, I'm going to keep my suggestions simple. Without trying to offend, your beautiful Mustang deserves better.

You will get exceptional results from something like Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. Long lasting and easy to use is the blurb.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use

And you could also use a quick wax product like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. Simple as spray and wipe.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-quik-wax-g17516-152-oz-spray

While there are hundreds and hundreds of different waxes and sealants on the market, these two are easy to use and easy to find in any automotive store.
thank you! the meguiers is the company i used for my s197, it was a special black wax for black cars and worked well. and i have seen that ceramic one! okay cool, no worries on offending lol the NuFinish can be used for my Tacoma and my work F150 before i get my new one, it was cheap enough. I’ll have to price out the ceramic one. I’ve got all the microfibers and stuff to wipe it on, and then in between if a bird shits on it or something, i use turtle wax ice detail spray, and i love that stuff, used it for 8 years and always works great in between for spot checking

Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I spent (2) full days washing and polishing my car when it was new. Then my choice was Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating. I don’t regret it for a minute. The gloss is great and everything just rolls off when washing the car. Blow dry with a leaf blower.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
That'scoming from a guy who goes to wand wash, soaks the car in tire & engine cleaner then rinses that sounds like perfection! How long does it last?
They say up to a year.. I sure you would be using their Ceramic 3 in 1 detail spray. That would keep replenishing the protection.

Works nicely for me. I didn’t want a Full Blown Ceramic Coating.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks guys! i ordered the meguiars and it comes tomorrow!
unfortunately found my first rock chip today and haven’t even had the stang a week lol. small one on the drivers side rear quarter panel

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You should get a lot of advice. Some will say you should have already gotten the Paint Protection film and ceramic wrap and other will say what they believe works.

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low_400x.jpg

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
thanks guys! i ordered the meguiars and it comes tomorrow!
unfortunately found my first rock chip today and haven’t even had the stang a week lol. small one on the drivers side rear quarter panel
I’ve been using a regiment of Zaino Brothers products since 1999.
The results speak for themselves.
They’re in Lakewood.
https://www.zainostore.com/
Sponsored