Sponsored

what is a 1996 1-owner Mustang SVT Cobra worth?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
To answer OP's question, BAT will bring more, but on the private market I'd bet $20-30k these days.

Mystic paint was exclusive to that car and that year.
Sponsored

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
appreciate the feedback. Went to see it this morning. It's so clean you could eat off it. There are some battle scars (paint chips) on the hood, and all the bushings and suspension need to be tossed and replaced. Unless you just want a garage ornament. The driver's seat was mush but I think that's just how they made them back then instead of firm foam.

seller is clearly hoping for a BAT-like windfall after probably scoring it pretty cheap from the 1st owner old guy who didn't want to move it to his new home.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
appreciate the feedback. Went to see it this morning. It's so clean you could eat off it. There are some battle scars (paint chips) on the hood, and all the bushings and suspension need to be tossed and replaced. Unless you just want a garage ornament. The driver's seat was mush but I think that's just how they made them back then instead of firm foam.

seller is clearly hoping for a BAT-like windfall after probably scoring it pretty cheap from the 1st owner old guy who didn't want to move it to his new home.
All the 1994-98 SN95 front seats were not all that great for support. The SN95 leather of the time period was absolutely horrible and those seats (especially driver) will show lots of wear/tear even if they were properly maintained. It was just poor quality leather used by Ford.

The 1996 Cobra Mystic paint was licensed and produced by BASF. IIRC, it was essentially the same or similar color shift used in the security on $100 US bills. The only way to get the exact formula for a repaint or wreck repair was the VIN has to be supplied and proof of ownership provided for genuine BASF paint. Yes there is Mystic paint formulas available but they are not exact to the genuine BASF formula.

1996 Cobras if in a hotter region or climate had a recall for the cooling system, which involved deletion of the factory honeycomb grille, replacement of the radiator, A/C condenser and a few other associated parts. This was a Ford issued TSB where all parts were replaced under warranty (at the time when vehicle was new). Not every 96 Cobra had to have the cooling system upgraded per the TSB, but quite a few in the hotter regions did. Only quick way to tell is by the honeycomb grille delete (but not 100% definitive, as anyone can do a grille delete like the 94/95 Cobras) only checking OASIS is definitive way.

1996 was also the first year the Lincoln MK VIII was revised and put into the SN95 Cobra. The only real issues with the DOHC was the sporadic failure of the IMRC system (which is a common plague all the way through to the S550's).

1996 Cobras were also first year of the T45 trans into the Mustang (and Cobra). IMO, it's a junk trans and was the wrong choice to pop behind a DOHC that had capability of redlining out to 7,500 RPM's. Almost every 1996-1998 Cobra owner I've known (including myself with my prior 1996 Cobra) had eventual issues with the trans wanting to spontaneously pop out of 2nd gear or grinding into 3rd on quick shifts (even with upgraded aftermarket shifters). It just wasn't an ideal trans behind that engine. Most SVT Cobra owners upgraded to a TREMEC, which is still a popular upgrade today.

All SVT Cobras will have the Ford SVT Certificate showing the build date, VIN and vehicle Build #. The Cert can also be procured through Ford Performance with proof of ownership if the original is missing.

As far as value, 1996 Mystics today are rare, they did have a low production count. So if finding one in good overall condition, expect to pay on average $30k-$40k+. Condition is everything, even those with higher miles, if they are in great overall shape.

I will add - all the SVT DOHC's sound awesome with LT's and they will definitely drive a hell of a lot better with 4.30 rear diff gearing as opposed to the craptastic 3.08's. I did both mods to my prior 96 and it was an extremely fun vehicle to own.

If you have the ability to scoop it up - definitely do so, they're only increasing in value as the years pass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the in-depth. Car listing got picked up by Ford Authority so eyeballs increased by a good amount. Seller will probably get his wish.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the in-depth. Car listing got picked up by Ford Authority so eyeballs increased by a good amount. Seller will probably get his wish.
Anytime, glad to help.

Here’s the image of my prior 96 Cobra (Laser Red w/black leather); I think this photo was from 1999. It was SVT Build #3970 if anyone has it… I also had suspension goodies on it, so it’s sitting at a nice stance (as opposed to the freaking Ford 4x4 stock ride height).
IMG_1030.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Anytime, glad to help.

Here’s the image of my prior 96 Cobra (Laser Red w/black leather); I think this photo was from 1999. It was SVT Build #3970 if anyone has it… I also had suspension goodies on it, so it’s sitting at a nice stance (as opposed to the freaking Ford 4x4 stock ride height).
IMG_1030.jpeg
Was never a fan of those years, looks like they tried to take the fox body and a probe and mash them together. A friend had one, it ran good, and with the 4.3's gears was fun, but it seemed all the pony cars went to a rounder is better body lines in the late 90's early 2000's.

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone else was doing it. So Ford just copycat

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If you have the ability to scoop it up - definitely do so, they're only increasing in value as the years pass.
Truth.

All the more special Mustangs are creeping up in value for a nice specimen. As far as SN95s, I had been looking at '94-'95 Cobra coupes and '03-'04 Mach 1s to fill the last stall in my shop. Then I drove a 2004 Mach and apparently somewhere along the line I forgot about how terrible these cars really were. Foxes too. We get spoiled with the newer cars for sure.

I just couldn't bring myself to pop for any of the Foxes or SN95s on my list at the current asking prices to have a third fair-weather car gathering dust and ordered up a new Jeep instead to plug the empty spot. Something fun I can drive daily (rain or shine) to lessen the wear and tear on the other DDs.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Was never a fan of those years, looks like they tried to take the fox body and a probe and mash them together. A friend had one, it ran good, and with the 4.3's gears was fun, but it seemed all the pony cars went to a rounder is better body lines in the late 90's early 2000's.

It IS a fox body, afterall.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A guy I know always used to call them Mustang 3s.
Sponsored