Sponsored

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first aftermarket boosted car, any other forced induction car I've owned came that way from the factory.

So for those who haven't supercharged their car yet, but are thinking about it, here is what I've learned in the first few days of owning one. If I'm wrong on any of this, please feel free to correct me.

Car is a 2021 Mustang GT 6spd. Mods are: Stainless Works longtube headers, gibson xpipe and NXT catback. Pedders Coilovers, Barton Hybrid 3 shifter, Brembo Big Brake Kit Upgrade, & 20 x 11 rims on the back with 335/25 r20 CONTINENTAL EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS
(I had a Beefcake special Vortech V3 JT Trim installed with BV57 BOV upgrade)

#1 Get your OPG changed at the same time. I had the OEM OPG in my hand and it dropped it by mistake. I was actually going to throw it up in the air, but I dropped it while walking outside my garage. It it the floor while still in a ziplock bag and broke. I know that has very little to do with what it's designed to do, so take it for what it's worth.

#2 City MGP doesn't change. As long as you keep it below 4k RPM, it's 100% normal. I'm getting 18mph with mostly city driving

#3 If you want to hear the supercharger, don't get the quiet gear set. There is 0 whine from the blower. If you want to hear the blower, get the heritage gearset. (I didn't get the loud gears because I was warned it ""might"" interfere with the knock sensors.

#4 I have the Mondo BV57 BOV, which is HUGE and looks great. But once it's installed, you really can't see it, which is a shame because it is pretty. But it sounds awesome and it's really loud. If you are familiar with hearing high pitch BOV's this will sound very different. It makes a very loud WOOOSH sound. I guess I was expecting something similar to what I was used to, which is turbo bov sounds, and this is not that. I personally like this better. Sounds more raw and less cute.

#5 The supercharger doesn't make any noise if you have the quiet gear set, but you hear the air from the supercharge and BOV a lot over 3.5k RPM. It sounds great and will turn a lot of heads. If you go WOT and shift over 7k RPMS, you'll get hard....for real.

#6 If you don't plan on going to the drag strip, then YOU DO NOT NEED a drag pack. I have larger tires on the back at 335/25 R20, and they hold together fine in 2nd & 3rd gears. If you take off in first, you have to roll into 1st and you need to be on a good surface. But as long as you don't plan on going WOT from a dig, having a decent tire of decent size will work just fine for 1st & 2nd gear majority of the time. If you do a lit runs for a dig, then a drag pack is worth it. But it's not something you MUST have if you get a blower.

#7 If you have a 6spd you'll need to pay more attention to your RPMS, as they tend to go by a lot faster now. lol

#8 Oil changes will be more complicated. You now have to change the oil in your supercharger. And at least for me, I have to disconnect a few intake hoses up front before I can reach the dip stick on the blower. The supercharger has a drain hose that is snaked down to the bottom close to where you normally drain your oil. I haven't changed it yet, but I imagine it will add another 30 minutes to the the oil change.

#9 Also the intercooler is a lot bigger in person, it's massive and takes up a lot of space. The kit itself is really heavy, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but all that metal is really heavy.

#10 It's 100% worth it, 10 out of 10 would do it again. I don't see how I'll ever go back to a N/A V8 car. This is honestly too much fun. The power, the feeling, the sound will get you every time. If you like your N/A car, you'll like it even more boosted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
#7 If you have a 6spd you'll need to pay more attention to your PRMS, as they tend to go by a lot faster now. lol
Thanks for the writeup, I enjoyed reading it. What is PRMS?

OP
OP
TheShit

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
any sound clips of the quiet gear would be great.

CUL8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT vert. PP1, 401A, AE, 6spd, ESS G2/G3
Thanks for the write up!! I'm putting an ESS on my 20 Vert... the 3.73's and 6spd will def make the RPM's go by a lot faster :)

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats!

chuckhammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT, Carbonized Gray, MT82, base, no options.
Very cool and thanks for sharing.

What did the full kit weigh?
Which injectors did you go with?
Who is your tuner?
Tuned via dyno or data logging on the street?
Anything you would have done differently?

Sponsored

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I had seen this thread before I spent my Procharger fund money on this...
but I can start saving again...
20230504_131719.jpg
Don't forget about ESS as an option also. Same mount location as Procharger but lighter.

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, I also looked at ESS, but haven't decided as to which I would use, then the decision became irrelevant...for now anyway, did you do the installation or have it done?

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I also looked at ESS, but haven't decided as to which I would use, then the decision became irrelevant...for now anyway, did you do the installation or have it done?
Had it done but shop/others said its not complicated. I didn't want to do bumper removal. I looked at all options & wanted a fun street car. Not chasing dyno #'s. Its alot more fun to drive now. Can't go wrong with any of the options out. FBO E85 cars are insane now.

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
After my first procharger install on my 6gen Camaro I’m 100% sold on the centri blowers. They’re much easier to install and take off when needed, they sound better than the new roots style units that have near ZERO whine, and that PSHHHHh off throttle is just orgasmic. I also like that the coyotes can get pretty up there in rpm and really spin those nuggets up. It’s also my opinion that cooling a centri is much easier with a cooling sprayer on the inter cooler and water/meth near the TB. Sadly the MT82 is not well known for taking the extra abuse well past stock power but I’d agree that it’s the better option for the driving fun factor.

I’m currently throwing around the extremely stupid idea of building a centri blown mt82 track toy to take to road courses once I can plan out how I’ll keep a setup like that cooled off.

Glad to hear it went well!!

I know there are large schools of folks that say the “church of OPG” is strong but in most cases if you’re keeping your RPMs in check it’s more of a precaution than a prerequisite. “My buddy’s brothers cousin sayS…” I don’t care. I trust Lund’s Alex Flores way before anyone’s personal anecdote. They tune the cars all damn day and he’s quoted saying OPGs aren’t a must, they’re a nice to have if you’re pushing the rpms to cause the harmonics that make them come apart. That being said the car I’m looking to purchase has billet opg’s and crank sprocket so I guess I’ll never know what might have been hah.
Sponsored