What has owning a mustang taught you?

Twister_Orange_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Premium
2 months ago I posted about how ownership of a 2021 gt premium was inspiring me to learn about vehicles and building confidence to do my own maintenance. I've since been quite busy.

• Learned about wheel fitments and bought aftermarket wheels/tires [19x10/11 SVE SP2]
  • Learned how to jack the car up and swapped the wheels myself [Steeda jacking rails as well]
  • Learned even more about paint correction and ceramic coated my twister orange paint
  • Researched exhaust systems and how they influence performance [installed Steeda H-Pipe myself]
  • Painted brake calipers a color no one expected and learned how brakes work and how to (un)install them.
  • Got help from dad and installed lowering springs. Learned how it influences handling and stance.
I'm getting dangerously close to the engine bay, but for now am trying my hardest not to touch it on a car only 6 months old and 3k miles. So tell me, what has owning a mustang taught you? What did you think you had a good understanding of but then working on your s550 opened up even more learning opportunities?

Here are some pictures!

20220401_133958.jpg
20220401_134026.jpg
20220401_133808.jpg
20220401_133729.jpg
IMG_20220408_005336_318.jpg
IMG_20220325_133450_542.jpg
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Less than owning a 1953 Buick Super Series 50 2 dr. hard-top convertible.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Before I bought the Mustang I was always into cars but never bothered improved my driving in fact I got my drivers licence when I was 24yo. I watch Formula 1 since I was 6 yo around the time when Senna died in 1994. So I always wanted to drive on a race track. I bought the Mustang because I wanted a cool car but when I got it I start tracking it. As almost all guys who tried that I learned that Mustang is a drivers car but it's not a car to be driven hard and tracking is not it's strong side for sure. A lot of things broke for 3 years on track and I strongly evaluate if I want to continue braking stuff especially with how hard finding parts has been for the past 2 years (I live in small country in Europe). I though learned and improved my driving a lot dropping 10 seconds off my times in 3 years and I'm much more confident in driving the Mustang (though always with respect). I learned that the Mustang is a better cruiser than a race car and is a fantastic car for crossing continents (though I didn't do a very long road trip with it yet). And I learned a lot about how the car works (reading through service manual really helps you understand). I learned that having a flashy car is not always a good thing.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Wish I could contribute, but I been changing brakes since I was 15. Installed hydraulics on a Monte at same age & pulled my 1st tranny off a Cutlass before having a lisence. Ive always seen cars as big as toys & have had a thing for taking things apart to see how they work. But what I do plan on learning is more about suspensions & proper alignments so some day in the future when things get better with the economy, take a try at a road course. Sweet pic by the way.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
For me, owning Mustangs has taught me that they are money pits and it’s hard to resist modifying them. I’m currently on my 9th Mustang since 1996 and every one of them has been modified to some degree. My 2019 Bullitt has received the most mods though (suspension, drivetrain, engine bolt-ons, exhaust and much more). I am seriously thinking of trying my hand at doing my own alignments using the string method. I think that would be another good skill for me to have.

Last edited:

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I've learned modding is enjoyable, gets expensive if you get out of hand, and you're unlikely to recoup much of the initial "investment" in resale.

But it is fun!

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Best mod is a driver education course.
Been to BMW advanced driver training, and BMW winter driving training, as well as a motorcycle refresher over the last 15 years. Every one taught new skills. The BMW courses go on to higher levels of track driving. We have a track not too far from me, and they provide several levels of courses. I plan to take one this summer. I feel the skills learned have helped me avoid a couple accidents over the time. Cheap in comparison to the potential loss, money and health. I also feel those skills tend to fade without refreshing, and you go back to old habits - hence its not a one and done. Every few years one should re-invest.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
460hp is more than enough for normal driving. The coyote is amazing.
...yea, that. ^^^^
However, you should drive a Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi; 485 hp.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I hope to take possession of my first ever this Summer.

Due to the current ordering/production environment, I have learned...patience.

Last edited:

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I learned about wheel fitment, spring rates, exhausts that don't drone, and availability of mods. I learned I like the car a lot on twisty roads. I think 460 hp is plenty. I would only be interested in a lot more hp in an AWD vehicle.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I learned (actually I knew this all a long) that the "need for speed" is not curable. Been driving sport cars most of my life. On my second Mustang now.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That I don’t have enough money.
That 460hp just leaves you wanting more.
That it’s acceptable for your car to spend more time on jack stands than on the street.
That my wife can be jealous of a car.
Sponsored