Sponsored

What Happens When You Add a Lighter Set of Wheels to Your Mustang - Dyno Results Inside!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the latest from Team Steeda. When it comes to improving your S550's performance ... do it with a lighter wheel upgrade!

Check our selection of wheels here - https://www.steeda.com/2015-2019-mustang-wheels-and-tires

Let us know if we can help assist with your tire & wheel upgrade today!

TJ
Sponsored

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It's also worth noting that the effect of the front wheels was ignored, because they were stationary sorting the test. The actual gain would be twice what you measured on the dyno.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It's also worth noting that the effect of the front wheels was ignored, because they were stationary sorting the test. The actual gain would be twice what you measured on the dyno.
Probably not exactly, the rear wheels are what are powered. The front are just there pushing along and if they are lighter should definitely handle and accelerate better, but the rear is where the weight is fighting you putting power down.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Probably not exactly, the rear wheels are what are powered. The front are just there pushing along and if they are lighter should definitely handle and accelerate better, but the rear is where the weight is fighting you putting power down.
Wheelspin aside, why would the fronts spin at a different rate than the rears? If they're spinning at the same rate, why would they have a different amount of kinetic energy?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Wheelspin aside, why would the fronts spin at a different rate than the rears? If they're spinning at the same rate, why would they have a different amount of kinetic energy?
Because one is attached to the drive train and the other is just along for the ride.

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The car will accelerate slightly faster due to the loss of weight but it did not gain any hp.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Because one is attached to the drive train and the other is just along for the ride.
I don't suppose there's any chance you'll just trust me on this one?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The car will accelerate slightly faster due to the loss of weight but it did not gain any hp.
Of course not. The demonstration was to show the effect of rotational kinetic energy on acceleration in terms which we all relate, power. This is actually a very good way at looking at the difference as long as the acceleration rates are reasonable.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I think you’re both right. It just depends on the context.

If the dyno was a treadmill that took into account all four sources of rotating mass TeeLaw would be right. The engine would have to accelerate all four wheels so losing the mass from the whole rotating system could be measured and assuming each wheel lost the same amount of mass, the improvement would be double what Steeda measured.
If we’re strictly looking at how much power is reaching the road after going through all components of the drivetrain, we’re deliberately ignoring other “energy sinks” outside of the drivetrain itself...so in that sense, I agree with Negare.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
As I said lighter wheels are always nice but most of the work done by the engine is done accelerating 4000 lbs and not the relatively small rotating mass. The power to weight ratio increases by 0.001 hp/lb.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
As I said lighter wheels are always nice but most of the work done by the engine is done accelerating 4000 lbs and not the relatively small rotating mass. The power to weight ratio increases by 0.001 hp/lb.
The point is that the relatively small rotating mass has an exaggerated effect because it's being both translated linearly and rotationally. The dyno may be overstating the effect if the angular (rotational) acceleration is greater than when on the track.

Further, on track the car stores rotational kinetic energy in all 4 wheels. On the dyno it's only 2, so that's why the effect needs to be doubled.
unnamed.gif

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I think you’re both right. It just depends on the context.
I'm either right or wrong. Thermodynamics is objective.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I agree there is just as much work going into spinning up the front wheels as the rear wheels. It doesn't matter if the car is FWD, RWD, AWD, or being pushed by a locomotive and driven by Marty McFly.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Well then you’re wrong because you don’t seem to understand Nagare’s point.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Whatever...
Sponsored