What half shafts did you upgrade to?

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'm starting to build a supporting mods list for a FI build, and wanted to get some advice from people that have already done it. I found a few options (listed cost least to most):

- GT350 half shafts
- DSS 800hp half shafts
- FP 2000hp half shafts

I haven't found a rating anywhere so I'm not sure the GT 350 half shafts will hold the power of the Roush phase 1 kit. I've heard some things about the DSS half shafts being weak and breaking under 800hp, so I find myself wondering if I really should spent $2k on the FP half shafts to really have peace-of-mind. Tell me, what half shafts are you running with your FI build? My use will be 95% street, 5% road course, 0% drag strip.

P.S. yes I searched the forum, all I could really find was a discussion around the GT350 half shafts, but it focused around drag usage.
Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I agree you may not need them based on your intended use. I have gforce renegades in my car. After reading all the DSS issues, I avoid their products.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Doesn't look like you'd need aftermarket half shafts if its a 95% street car with the other 5% being autocross.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to build a supporting mods list for a FI build, and wanted to get some advice from people that have already done it. I found a few options (listed cost least to most):

- GT350 half shafts
- DSS 800hp half shafts
- FP 2000hp half shafts

I haven't found a rating anywhere so I'm not sure the GT 350 half shafts will hold the power of the Roush phase 1 kit. I've heard some things about the DSS half shafts being weak and breaking under 800hp, so I find myself wondering if I really should spent $2k on the FP half shafts to really have peace-of-mind. Tell me, what half shafts are you running with your FI build? My use will be 95% street, 5% road course, 0% drag strip.

P.S. yes I searched the forum, all I could really find was a discussion around the GT350 half shafts, but it focused around drag usage.
Car is a manual I assume?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rileythemustangguy

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Car is a manual I assume?
Sorry yes the car is manual. Interesting to hear a small consensus already that an upgrade may not be warranted. The half-shafts are really only bound to snap on hard launches with drag radials?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Sorry yes the car is manual. Interesting to hear a small consensus already that an upgrade may not be warranted. The half-shafts are really only bound to snap on hard launches with drag radials?
Hard launch with sticky tires. For daily or auto cross really no need. When I did mine the DSS 1400 were on sale so went that route.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have GForce Renegade axles waiting to go in with my whipple setup. But I plan to drag race on a bias-ply, so it was a no brainer. For your use case I agree with what others have said, probably not needed.

OP
OP
rileythemustangguy

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Awesome guys, I appreciate all the responses. Sounds like I'll be fairly safe to run OEM half shafts so long as I'm not launching at every stop light. If ever I start thinking about the strip, I'll look into an upgrade at that point.

Reactions: dps

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I agree you may not need them based on your intended use. I have gforce renegades in my car. After reading all the DSS issues, I avoid their products.
DSS 1400 here with plenty of power on em, plenty of passes and lots of miles. No issues.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You can upgrade to gt350 axles for a little piece of mine but you don’t need anything

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve put 26k miles on since installing a ProCharger, at about 600whp with factory shafts. I launch at just about any traffic light way to often. Redline it all the time and last summer got into going to the strip, did about 35 1/4 mile runs over 3-4 trips. I burned through my current summer performance tires and am thinking I’ll go with some street drag radials this spring. With that I’m seriously considering the 350 shaft for a little more protection. Only suspension mod ive done is cradle lockout. I still get wheel hop rarely, but it happened at the strip a couple times and I gotta think my factory shafts are on borrowed time. Just some food for thought on how tough they really are, course procharger ramp in on power and the fact that my tires spin so damn easy probably plays a big part in them lasting.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wheel-hop will snap axles quick as you like. I asked because manuals are more likely to create it.
I’m running the DSS 800hp axles. I’d avoid them if I had my time over, having rebuilt each of them at least once so far (They snap like twigs on the strip but serve a purpose as a fuse in the driveline).
However, having said that, a friend of mine managed to snap the CV’s in a set of DSS 2000hp axles on a Street tyre.....because wheel-hop.
Stop the car from wheel-hoping and you’ve got a better than average chance of making stock shafts survive, especially on a tyre that doesn’t generate a tonne of grip (compared to a drag radial).

Tatum337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Gforce...enough said. If you didn't know, Gforce makes the Ford ones..

S550AC11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
17 PP GT
I have the G Force Renegade
Sponsored