Sponsored

What feature of the S550 are you least impressed with?

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Build 07/2018 Mustang GT 6spM (Magnetic)
There are many, many features of my S550 GT that I'm very impressed with: The design, it's road presence, the power, the aural symphony you play using your right foot together with that beautiful 6spd gerabox, to name a few. However there is one thing that doesn't impress me at all, the S550's woefully inadequate high beam headlights.

I live in a regional area so nearly all of my kilometres are done on 'country' roads (100-110km/h), sometimes at night, and sometimes in the rain. I find the increased concentration level needed in these conditions (Roos) hour after hour, much above 80km/h can be exhausting. I often find myself glancing at the dash to see if that tell-tale blue light is on, it is and I give a little sigh. The number of times I've forgotten to 'dip' my lights for an on coming car occurs frequently because the vast majority don't 'flash' me as a reminder assuming I'm already using my low beam. Proof on how poor they are. The best I can do at this point is to 'photoshop' on some additional lighting.

So what (if anything) are yoy least impressed with on your S550?

2022-11-13_13-31-43 (Lr8).jpg

2022-11-13_13-32-23 (Lr8).jpg

2022-11-13_13-32-23 (Lr8)-2.jpg
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I adore my Mustang! I walk out into the garage and still can't believe it's mine.

The good bits -

-The styling, a perfect blend of aggression and beauty.
-The naturally aspirated engine
-The performance
-The sound
-The way it makes me feel when driving it.

There is, like all products, room for improvement. WARNING: Rant Time!

-Exterior build quality! Some cars are acceptable, some are appallingly bad. It's the variability that sucks, misaligned body panels are the result of plain laziness during both the design and manufacturing phases. No excuses for this, if Hyundai or Toyota can make a basic hatchback with aligned body panels, why can't one of the oldest companies in the industry.

-Interior material quality. Once upon a time, a Mustang had a cheap interior because it was a cheap car. Now, the Mustang is getting more and more expensive, and not just in Australia. An interior filled with hard, scratchy and flimsy plastics are becoming hard to accept.

-Cutting the cost of every single component in the car down to the last cent. The result of which is poor quality, be that on the interior, the exterior or the chassis and engine. For example, the MT-82 manual gearbox is used in these cars because it's made cheaply in China. It's a gearbox built to a price and is only just suitable for the power these cars make. As a result, the quality of them is variable, some are them are good, some are shockingly noisy or graunchy. The Tremec used elsewhere in the lineup should and would be more suitable, stronger and more durable for a car driven with vigor. But, the dollars and cents prevail and as a result, we end up with a fragile component.

All of that flies in the face of Ford's mantra of "quality is job 1".

OP
OP
OzMustang S550

OzMustang S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
Build 07/2018 Mustang GT 6spM (Magnetic)
I adore my Mustang! I walk out into the garage and still can't believe it's mine.

The good bits -

-The styling, a perfect blend of aggression and beauty.
-The naturally aspirated engine
-The performance
-The sound
-The way it makes me feel when driving it.

There is, like all products, room for improvement. WARNING: Rant Time!

-Exterior build quality! Some cars are acceptable, some are appallingly bad. It's the variability that sucks, misaligned body panels are the result of plain laziness during both the design and manufacturing phases. No excuses for this, if Hyundai or Toyota can make a basic hatchback with aligned body panels, why can't one of the oldest companies in the industry.

-Interior material quality. Once upon a time, a Mustang had a cheap interior because it was a cheap car. Now, the Mustang is getting more and more expensive, and not just in Australia. An interior filled with hard, scratchy and flimsy plastics are becoming hard to accept.

-Cutting the cost of every single component in the car down to the last cent. The result of which is poor quality, be that on the interior, the exterior or the chassis and engine. For example, the MT-82 manual gearbox is used in these cars because it's made cheaply in China. It's a gearbox built to a price and is only just suitable for the power these cars make. As a result, the quality of them is variable, some are them are good, some are shockingly noisy or graunchy. The Tremec used elsewhere in the lineup should and would be more suitable, stronger and more durable for a car driven with vigor. But, the dollars and cents prevail and as a result, we end up with a fragile component.

All of that flies in the face of Ford's mantra of "quality is job 1".
In terms of body panel alignment and paint mine must have been built by shift that gave a damn, but I definitely hear what your saying. Another oversight, a locking fuel filler.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Hill assist feature. Turned off that stupid thing one day after I brought the car home.
Line lock comes in close second. Maybe if I had some cheapo tires on it I would use it but I'm not unnecessarily burning up those expensive MPS4 tires.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Cheap interior - it all looks great but spend some time in there and it is not a premium feel. Rear deck plate is just cheap and nasty, it is the feature of the 7th gen I like the best. Clear coat is not thick enough.

This isnt so much a gripe as the weight of the mustang is part of its charm, but imagine if it was aluminium. So much improvement to handling, probs acceleration as well.

But then what I am probably saying is "wouldn't this car be great if it was made by (say) Jaguar or Aston", which is true, but then we wouldnt be buying them for $70K, it'd essentially be a c63 and priced accordingly.

Edit. there is one aspect that really annoys me. the reverse camera shuts off as soon as you take it out of reverse, rather than leaving it on until after you have set off forward. If you reverse out on to a street, then it means you have a second or two where you are without the camera image before you go.

Last edited:

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hate hill assist.. permanently turned it off on my WRX when I got it and same thing when the day I got the Mustang.. I also hate the collision assist with a passion... other than that, haven't foud anything else I dislike.. I enjoy the car.

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Edit. there is one aspect that really annoys me. the reverse camera shuts off as soon as you take it out of reverse, rather than leaving it on until after you have set off forward. If you reverse out on to a street, then it means you have a second or two where you are without the camera image before you go.
I just stumbled on to this yesterday going through the menu system on my 2022. Maybe this is a setting that would help you?

"Rear Camera Delay"
05F9221F-DE51-4197-B955-E106DCC6E8EF.jpeg

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
It would have been easy to make the front seats slide forward when the back is tilted forward to make it easier for rear passengers to enter/exit.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
I pretty well like everything on my mustang,but programmable memory seating positions for driver and passenger and a factory supercharger would have been a nice option.

Sponsored

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
Agree on the high beams. I was not far from our house going down a hill, high beams on and when started up the hill there was a deer standing in the road. We avoided each other, I was only doing 35 MPH because any faster I would overdrive my lights.

The paint ! It chips easy, I don’t know much about painting a vehicle. I have a black 20 EB with light gray primer and a silver bullet 21 GT with black primer ??

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
How far behind we are on Sync and Map updates in Australia. Also another vote for the headlights.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
RR 17 GT MT82 & Brown 16 F350 Lariat Dually
It would have been easy to make the front seats slide forward when the back is tilted forward to make it easier for rear passengers to enter/exit.
Wait, wait! you have passengers in the back seat? Not trying to be factious or mean but do they have legs? When I get my seat set, there is maybe two inches between my seat back and the back seat base, have been considering doing a rear seat delete.

my only complaint is that the shoulder strap is not adjustable so it rides lower, I hate the belt rubbing right at my neck on my shirts and I do have the belt run through the loop on the seat back, if I didn't have it there it would hit me right in the side of the neck. I am not short being 6-2 with a 34 inch inseam, so my seat is most all the way back and I still have plenty of bend in my clutch leg when clutch is on the floor.

Oh and DRU842, I just updated my Sync, current version for 2017 is 3.0.20204 and I updated maps also, but don't remember that version.

Last edited:

TTT12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
MY22.25 High Performance Mustang
Should have a front facing parking camera, better still a full 360 aerial camera view. European, Jap, Korean and even Chinese cars now leave it for dead with technology, fit and finish.
Was kinda annoyed at his too. The MG we have on order for the wife has 360 camera. Don't have our Mustang yet.
Sponsored