What does everyone think of the new 400Z?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just curious what others think of the new Nissan 400Z proto? Overall, I like it a lot - there's a few minor design updates I'd prefer to see, but in general, the proto looks really good IMO. I grew up loving the Z32 1989+ twin turbo 300ZX so I like the nod back to it from the rear end. That said, I realize the actual prototype is just new sheetmetal, front/rear fascias, interior, and engine over the existing 370Z (same "hard points" on the car, and same roof), but I think it looks really good. Someone on Jalopnik did a quick photoshop and revised the front air grille to be slightly hexagonal shaped, and it improved the car 2 fold.

I'm thinking based on photos I like the new Z better than the BMW/Toyota Supra (which doesn't photograph very well, and definitely looks better in person), but I'd like to see the new Z in person when they eventually are released. Honestly, I think they should call it a 300ZX twin turbo if that's what size engine it will have (3.0 liters).

1601061921765.png

https://www.motortrend.com/news/nissan-z-proto-first-look-review-400z-preview/#:~:text=The Nissan Z Proto is a close-to-production, retro-flavored,horsepower in the 400Z. The Nissan 370Z

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Just my opinion, but I'm not feeling the new design. I'd pick a supra over this. But this market is not even a possibility for me, as I need a back seat.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Vehicle Showcase
my housemate had a 350 twice (engine blew up) and I've driven it a few times. The seat bolsters were too tight and the clutch feel was lousy. I much prefer the 5.0 GT.

I wish car companies would quit with the Camaro slab-side look. More canopy damn it!
The ass looks hideous. I don't know anyone who thought the ZX300 was something to emulate.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
I used to love Nissan. They suck now. I wouldn't buy anything from the brand that wasn't 20 years old. That 400z is just like the 370z. Scratch off the name, dig around the bin for existing parts, and call it a new car. I'd rather buy a 240SX and put the cost difference into a full out Tokyo Drift build.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the reskin here isn’t moving the needle for me. Seems like a good two seater sports car would be a slam dunk, but they’re not making a very strong case for it. Why is this slightly ugly car worth getting excited about?

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I personally think it’s too bland. No real personality to it. The side is completely round not a single hard body line. The front needs to be reworked. Maybe add some form of heat extractor vent or something. And the grille just doesn’t look right but I guess if they added some scoops/vents to help aerodynamics or fog lights/accent lights on both side of the grille it would balance it out. Personally I think they could have done better maybe even gone bigger and made it a 4 seater to improve sales.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Na, dont like the nose at all.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Just my opinion, but I'm not feeling the new design. I'd pick a supra over this. But this market is not even a possibility for me, as I need a back seat.
I'm the opposite, I prefer this to the over-styled Supra with unresolved curves everywhere.

Just shame the Nissan is not an inline six...

Won't get me out of the Mustang 'tho!

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT / CS
I think current 370Z fans will love it and non fans will continue to say meh.

No doubt that Nissan as a whole has been declining for many years now and I do not see it changing anytime soon.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Anyone else see Pikachu?
Great, now I can't unsee it.
I'm the opposite, I prefer this to the over-styled Supra with unresolved curves everywhere.

Just shame the Nissan is not an inline six...

Won't get me out of the Mustang 'tho!
I'd love any auto manufacturer to put out a new staight-6 sports car. No BMW, I still don't want you.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
If it was in the price range of the 370z..it would be smart. They should undercut the supra.

If its more at supra prices..which it seems it will be..there are better cars for the price.

It needs to be an affordable enthusiasts car just like prior iterations of the z..not something that most people cant afford. Shame too, i love the z's. My second car was a 350z.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I like it, won't buy one though. The only thing I think needs changing is the rear, it doesn't suit the rest of the car.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I feel like they did a great job with the back and sides, then got to the front and forgot what they were doing, so they were just like "Make it look like a parrot fish for now, and we'll figure it out later."

JR

104 - Cervini's Auto Designs - 1