Sponsored

What did you do to your UK S550 Mustang Today

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Back in to Ford today. They ruled out the brake pads as the source of the noise and are now pointing at the drivshaft.

i’ll pursue this issue in a different section now, but for anyone interested i did take a video which highlights the noise really well.

And the new thread;

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/new-drivetrain-noise-creaking-on-takeoff.158924/
That is exactly the same sound i got when ford replaced the wheel bearing the first time but did it wrong, something to do with a shimmy or something in the wheel bearing kit. Did you mention wheel bearing because i think its that for sure.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
what happens if you leave the handbrake on slightly just to take up the tension on the pads but still overcome it easily with some clutch. Does it still clunk?
tried that this morning, still have the clicking sound.

@WD Pro - yep, had a good ol read of that thread lol

thrust washer was mentioned, but a large number of folks have had success replacing the axle nut

given it only produces the noise with a shift in weight (moving back/forwards, or downshifting) it makes sense that it would be an incorrectly torqued nut somewhere.

find it hard to believe that the driveshaft would be faulty, so i intend to rule out the easier bits first

@snake bite - yea they checked the hub in general but not sure about the washer mentioned, may see if i can get hold of that too. I believe that’s another part that ford has “upgraded” since the early s550’s

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
check the bushes in the lower control arm but also the bush at the top of the damper

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I think you might be onto something.

I am sure I recall reading on here a noise generated by incorrect / missing fitment of what looked to be an insignificant washer / shim on the bearing / half shaft assembly.

edit : @Kristian87 - might also be worth checking this thread out : https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-those-axle-to-spindle-retaining-nuts.78909/ :like:

WD :like:
Yeah I just checked my notes and the shim they referred to was the called the thrust washer. The issue was when they replaced the wheel bearing the first time they didn't replace the thrust washer which caused the clunk sound. When I took it back they had to order another wheel bearing replacement including a new thrust washer after which time it was fixed. I too spent a lot of time thinking it was the brake pad moving about in the rear caliper but couldn't for the life of me think why considering it was fine before they "fixed" it. In the end I recorded it and also could easily replicate it by putting it in sport mode and accelerating hard then buttoning off. I took it back to the dealer and said it has something to do with you replacing the wheel bearing because it was fine before.....what do you know they checked again and found out I was right...oh and fixed it again. So technically the have replaced it 3 times on LHR, failed at 30000km (fixed twice) and again at 45000km

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Yeah I just checked my notes and the shim they referred to was the called the thrust washer. The issue was when they replaced the wheel bearing the first time they didn't replace the thrust washer which caused the clunk sound. When I took it back they had to order another wheel bearing replacement including a new thrust washer after which time it was fixed. I too spent a lot of time thinking it was the brake pad moving about in the rear caliper but couldn't for the life of me think why considering it was fine before they "fixed" it. In the end I recorded it and also could easily replicate it by putting it in sport mode and accelerating hard then buttoning off. I took it back to the dealer and said it has something to do with you replacing the wheel bearing because it was fine before.....what do you know they checked again and found out I was right...oh and fixed it again. So technically the have replaced it 3 times on LHR, failed at 30000km (fixed twice) and again at 45000km
this is all reassuring thanks!

i’ve taken the approach of the simple/cheap bits first. Sadly, the success/failure of this next step will likely determine if i take the stang up to Scotland or not. I have confidence in what the dealership is saying about it not being detrimental, but for me personally I know i’ll stress about it a lot on my road trip to the point where it will spoil the fun. The missus has a nice new comfy Audi Q2 anyway, so that’s a decent plan b!

found the part numbers and have asked ford to supply/fit. Including a more thorough checking of all the bushings and torque specs.

Nut - 2216529 / CCPZ-3B477-G
Washer - 2095786 / FR3Z-7G273-A

Will keep you all posted!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Already bombarding this thread. One more wont hurt

GT is 4 years old today - built 05/05/2017:party:

if i wasn’t frantically sorting these issues, i’d be treating it to a nice mod, perhaps painted calipers. That will have to wait :frown:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Fitted new wheels and tyres last week
Had the standard wheels with 25mm spacers and loved the stance so well happy with how these look 👍

F124EF2C-DBB0-4EE2-BFFD-0258E6F0903B.jpeg

9B5A662A-6539-48C2-A38D-ACE6FC871E12.jpeg
very nice, whats the wheels / specs and whats the suspension you are running?

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Fitted new wheels and tyres last week
Had the standard wheels with 25mm spacers and loved the stance so well happy with how these look 👍

F124EF2C-DBB0-4EE2-BFFD-0258E6F0903B.jpeg

9B5A662A-6539-48C2-A38D-ACE6FC871E12.jpeg
What are they? They looking amazing! I keep looking at wheels but never sure on the sizes or offsets.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The colour combo and subtle mods work really well together, I wish I could keep mine that shiny.

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2017 Tundra Pro
Cheers 👍
Project 6GR 20x10 front and 20x11 rear and Eibach lowering springs.
Hey
I am trying to figure out what lower springs to install on my 21 GT performance pack.
Want to drop it down atleast an inch but don’t want to effect ride quality as this is 99 percent a street car. Did this Eibach change the ride ???
Thanks

Wizzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What are they? They looking amazing! I keep looking at wheels but never sure on the sizes or offsets.
Thanks very much 👍
I spent loads of time looking at different wheels but must admit I‘m so happy with these and no regrets at all
Project 6GR 20” 10” wide front and 11” rear

Wizzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The colour combo and subtle mods work really well together, I wish I could keep mine that shiny.
Cheers 👍 Very happy with how it’s turned out with all the mods! I do enjoy the whole detailing side of things and love the Magnetic in the sun when nicely polished
Sponsored