What did you do to your UK S550 Mustang Today

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Many thanks for taking such a close look. You may well be right. I unfortunately have yet to learn how to tell/understand things like this. Should I take some more photos tomorrow when it's light again, or is it so easy to tell when you know these things just based on the photo above?

I noticed after my last (fourth in total) trackday some weeks ago that my front tires started to look really bad. I thought I'd post some photos to ask for advice on whether it's just due to me having "stock" alignment (I have no camber plates yet), which I understand will wear out the tires really quick on the track, and something I guess I cannot do much about until I have camber plates, or something worse. Unfortunately did not get around to it yet.
If post track day probably because of that - did you raise the tyre pressures prior to track work ?

By the way, be careful of aftermarket dust caps if they are aluminium - they can get stuck to the steel valve stem because of galvanic reaction.
Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
If post track day probably because of that - did you raise the tyre pressures prior to track work ?
No, I've not seen raising it recommended (would lead to less grip and more sliding around, no?). I've kept them at the same pressure as I use for daily driving, around 32 psi as per spec, and on the track it raises to about 38 psi according to the tpms. Thought perhaps I might lower them rather than raise, but will ask in the hpde/track group here.

By the way, be careful of aftermarket dust caps if they are aluminium - they can get stuck to the steel valve stem because of galvanic reaction.
Well, that sucks. Did not think about that, but after reading up a bit on it, I see others (non-Mustang) have got that problem and had to replace the valve stems due to it, so thanks for that.

Already I've taken off my blue monster lug nuts (seems they can't be torqued to spec (150 ft lbs)), and now I guess I will need to take of these caps too. :-/

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
No, I've not seen raising it recommended (would lead to less grip and more sliding around, no?). I've kept them at the same pressure as I use for daily driving, around 32 psi as per spec, and on the track it raises to about 38 psi according to the tpms. Thought perhaps I might lower them rather than raise, but will ask in the hpde/track group here.
Found another thread here where it was discussed:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tires-pressures-for-the-track.136659/post-2810590

Above is for the GT500, but I'm guessing plain Mustang GT will not be too different.

From the above thread it seems around 36-38 hot is a good range. The above post quotes 28 psi as cold when starting, becoming 36-38 when hot, but I guess that's for people who drive better and harder than me. For me, starting at around 30-31 psi cold (according to the tpms) ends up as 36-38 on the track, so I'm thinking perhaps this is ok at my level. Think I've seen 39 psi once or twice, but I only check occasionally, so perhaps I will need to lower the cold psi a bit as I improve to keep it in the 36-38 range.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
assuming your track days are on tracks with corners then yeah your tyres will be toast.

easiest way to tell is look at the surface square on you should see tread edge to edge instead what you're seeing in that picture is the outside thread blocks are completely worn smooth so I'm guessing a track with corners :) in which case i'm surprised they lasted 4 track days I typically put a fresh set on for every track day.

Either way you need new front tyres i'd say if you post up a picture of the actual tyre surface (the bit that meets the road square on it'll be easy enough to tell)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Well, that sucks. Did not think about that, but after reading up a bit on it, I see others (non-Mustang) have got that problem and had to replace the valve stems due to it, so thanks for that.

Already I've taken off my blue monster lug nuts (seems they can't be torqued to spec (150 ft lbs)), and now I guess I will need to take of these caps too. :-/
I think they may be OK if you use a bit of Vaseline or similar and make sure you remove them once a month or so to stop them fusing.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah unless they are left damp with winter salted road mess, they should be fine with a bit of copper grease / anti seize on the thread :like:

WD :like:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
assuming your track days are on tracks with corners then yeah your tyres will be toast.

easiest way to tell is look at the surface square on you should see tread edge to edge instead what you're seeing in that picture is the outside thread blocks are completely worn smooth so I'm guessing a track with corners :) in which case i'm surprised they lasted 4 track days I typically put a fresh set on for every track day.

Either way you need new front tyres i'd say if you post up a picture of the actual tyre surface (the bit that meets the road square on it'll be easy enough to tell)
If I have to put on new tires for each trackday money will quickly put a stop to more trackdays, so guess I'm lucky to not be at level yet.

I took some more photos today:

I'm going to try and order Vorshlag camber plates so I can align things a bit better for track.

Assuming I manage to install that myself (I don't have a mechanic/garage I'm comfortable with working on my Mustang ), I'm hoping that, and a set of separate rims with longer lasting and less expensive tires than the stock Michelin PS4S, will help me keep the cost down a bit in the longer run.

I'm thinking a bit about ordering something like this wheel, one rim only first, and see if it will fit over the front Brembos, with a spacer I guess: "https://www.rodiautosport.es/llanta...ace.html?search_query=19x11+et40&results=2336". Alternatively, if anyone have any tips on sourcing "Mustang verified" wheels like the ones from APEX or SVE, or others, I'd be most glad to hear it. It looks like forwarding via Stackry will cost me around an extra USD 250 + tax per wheel, compared to the USA prices, making it really expensive.

20210117_151458.jpg

20210117_151503.jpg

20210117_155729.jpg

20210117_155746.jpg

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
top wheel looks ok bottom wheel is shafted is it a clockwise track by any chance mostly right turns ?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I think they may be OK if you use a bit of Vaseline or similar and make sure you remove them once a month or so to stop them fusing.
Mmm, I hope so. Will read a bit more about it. The tires hold the air quite well, but about once a month or so I top up some air to keep them at about 32 psi.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
top wheel looks ok bottom wheel is shafted is it a clockwise track by any chance mostly right turns ?
Yeah, clockwise and about 50% more right turns than left turns, including most of the big and long turns being to the right. I do a swap between the tires on the front from trackday to trackday, and the same on the back, but with a total of only four car trackdays in my life, I think my last trackday was my best/hardest, and the first time I started timing myself (yay for digitial dash and the built-in track apps).

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
@Drake Muscle Cars Is the clear section in the spoiler for looks, visibility or performance ?
All three I reckon, adjustable so theoretically adding more or less downforce, clear so you can still see out the rear of the car and come on, let’s be honest it’s the best looking spoiler for the S550:like:
Sponsored