Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
5 Modest Mods

IMG_5694.jpg

It's spot the mods, time. Okay, don't bother as it's easy:

The three Speaker Covers come from ExoticPonyMods, and are excellent - perfect fit, look OEM and top drawer in quality. Really brightens the black plastic areas.

The Door vent covers are another thing: they don't really fit, as you can see, and are over priced for what they are. But I kind of like them - they're still better than the black plastic tat that's there originally, and even though they 'rest' on rather than cover the vents, their standing proud and blingy is nice in itself (though I'd replace them in a shot if ExoticPonyMods made ones that actually fit snuggly).

But the most satisfying mod is probably the GT starter button sticker: it looks fine, and though it looks a bit tacky, so does the original button, and at least this has a better colour scheme and has GT on it. And it costs nought.

John
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ecoboost intercoolers... FUCKING FINALLY

Ive been raving on about getting a proper one of these for a while, a reputable brand with large cooling surfaces and big end tanks to flood the engine with nice cold air. This is due to the stock one being nine cooling rows of pure shite and generally is running 40c above ambient temp (see image of graph)

I opted for the ETS Intercooler. There are other brands that are exceptionally good as well which include levels, speed factory and map (however cobb and wagner do good turbos for stock block/turbo applications).

Ive gone with ets as its also rated for bhp way above what im pushing meaning itll be never under any stress and outperform my car.

You will need to look out for "stock size" intercoolers. These are branded intercoolers with minimal gain and frankly a waste of money. This applies to the mishimoto ebm ic. However there are others like this so watch out for them if you're aiming for power and safety of the vehicle.

After a gentle run this morning to work ive logged a difference of -30 to the charge temps (number varies by ic) and only ran +9 to the outside temp (10c) - see pic of the cobb gauges.

The install was fairly simple and doesnt mount to the hood latch and the lower support brace is still mountable. However the end tanks are large so some plastic shrounding is required to be cut. It doesnt come with instructions but its fairly self explanitory,and the stock clamps are a bit of a farce. Theyre required to be hand tight with a flathead and then super tightened with a 7mm socket otherwise you will be boost leak (it sounds like a whistling noise). If you get this even on the stock ebm, stay off boost and look into this immediately.

Without further adieu heres the pictures, and my frashly tinted headlights that i also did(not bad for a first try but far from perfect)

Theres also a comparison picture between stock and ets.

Thank you to [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] for getting me the ic so quickly (regardless of map and ets being slow sending it!) And Fortis Auto for the wrap support As i've wrapped my lights :D

ETS fits on with crashbar and support bar (under the IC)

Comparing stock (9 cooling rows) vs ETS (24 cooling rows)

Wrapped the side reflectors, not bad for a first go, would have liked them more curved but hey ho.

Rocking the TUne+ base tune

Comparing CAT vs Ambient temp: 17.89 ambient vs 57.1 charge temp. Difference of about 40 celcius. (STOCK IC)

ets ic:
Ambient temp - 11c vs Charge temp 18.9c. Difference of 8c

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Good work Manders...look forward to seeing some real life numbers when you get them, I know a lot of research has gone in to this!

Got any photos of the light tints on the car?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Good work Manders...look forward to seeing some real life numbers when you get them, I know a lot of research has gone in to this!

Got any photos of the light tints on the car?
No but i can pop outside and get you a load as i'm working from home, they actually look quite neat on the car:lol:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Yeah crossing my fingers you achieve 400HP, which if it shows 400HP on a maha dyno is a REAL 400HP, especially is on Alans dyno as it is remarkably accurate.

With 400HP you will be quicker than a stock V8 I reckon due to less weight, we know a UK V8 weighs in around 1700-1750kg, am guessing the EB is around upto 50kg lighter which will help a touch.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah crossing my fingers you achieve 400HP, which if it shows 400HP on a maha dyno is a REAL 400HP, especially is on Alans dyno as it is remarkably accurate.

With 400HP you will be quicker than a stock V8 I reckon due to less weight, we know a UK V8 weighs in around 1700-1750kg, am guessing the EB is around upto 50kg lighter which will help a touch.
If i make 400bhp at the crank i'd be very very very surprised. With the Downpipe/WGA i'll guess around the 360-380 mark (Although, it's a total guess at the moment). To really pull the most power out of the car i'm gonna need ethanol. But realistically speaking, I don't want to drop E85 into the car, a big turbo or a built block on the car without each of the other two from them three, as i don't want to push block to it's peak.

As for VS the V8, less weight in general (although i think as the IC is way heavier than stock (ill get the actual weights shortly) it's offset the weight reduction of my wheels lol) on the car, but also a shitload more torque. :lol: . I'm more looking at that usable power area seeing how much power i'm going to be running with and torque curve etc...

I haven't managed to dyno with alan yet (pre mods) but i'll run it out at tegiwa in nov with you and see what it does, at the moment i'm still on base IC only tune. With DP and WGA i'm going to log a few times and once it's finalised should be ready for dyno.

Going to see Alan on wednesday to help with the DP and WGA install, as to be honest, i can't be arsed to crawl around my floor to do it :lol::lol:. It'll all be ON for Nemesis meet, however it wont be dialled in, so don't expect me pushing the car much more than just to datalog it.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If i make 400bhp at the crank i'd be very very very surprised. With the Downpipe/WGA i'll guess around the 360-380 mark (Although, it's a total guess at the moment). To really pull the most power out of the car i'm gonna need ethanol. But realistically speaking, I don't want to drop E85 into the car, a big turbo or a built block on the car without each of the other two from them three, as i don't want to push block to it's peak.

As for VS the V8, less weight in general (although i think as the IC is way heavier than stock (ill get the actual weights shortly) it's offset the weight reduction of my wheels lol) on the car, but also a shitload more torque. :lol: . I'm more looking at that usable power area seeing how much power i'm going to be running with and torque curve etc...

I haven't managed to dyno with alan yet (pre mods) but i'll run it out at tegiwa in nov with you and see what it does, at the moment i'm still on base IC only tune. With DP and WGA i'm going to log a few times and once it's finalised should be ready for dyno.

Going to see Alan on wednesday to help with the DP and WGA install, as to be honest, i can't be arsed to crawl around my floor to do it :lol::lol:. It'll all be ON for Nemesis meet, however it wont be dialled in, so don't expect me pushing the car much more than just to datalog it.

Well no idea on your car but my EVO X life went as follows:

- Stock on maha: 354BHP (Mitsubishi claimed 360PS)
- Full de-cat exhaust: 378HP
- Forged intercooler: 415HP

That was it, no remap as the 360 has adaptions on ECU enabled to learn and adjust itself, but in short turbo cars love a free flowing exhaust and a bigger intercooler and intercoolers are awesome because they also make everything run cooler which is only ever good for the engine even though your making more power/boost. :)

Was not bad for a little twist and pist 2.0l as I called it, but it was a mighty quick car and the best British B road car handling wise I've ever owned, the way it could go down a road even in the snow was amazing, used to love finding snow covered roads in the hills because with the EVO I could drive it at 60-70mph on snow covered roads and survive to tell the tale, never ever experienced a car like it for the amount of grip it could achieve on essentially a super slippy surface of course with winter tyres on. I used to run it in Summer with Advan AD08 semi slicks and winter with Michelin Alpin Sport winter tyres. Do kind of miss that car as no matter the conditions, power you could use always and so advanced for the time because a car like the Focus RS when I drove one all I could think yeah this is great, but my EVO was better but Ford got the hot hatch right, the Focus RS might not beat the new Civic or Golf GTi Clubsport on a laptime, but on British wet road the Focus RS is gonna destroy its competition, I was just hoping it was gonna be as good as my EVO was which it was not.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Well no idea on your car but my EVO X life went as follows:

- Stock on maha: 354BHP (Mitsubishi claimed 360PS)
- Full de-cat exhaust: 378HP
- Forged intercooler: 415HP

That was it, no remap as the 360 has adaptions on ECU enabled to learn and adjust itself, but in short turbo cars love a free flowing exhaust and a bigger intercooler and intercoolers are awesome because they also make everything run cooler which is only ever good for the engine even though your making more power/boost. :)
I honestly couldn't agree more, i'm not decatting it's getting a 200cel HFC because MOT's are a thing, but decat vs HFC isn't worth much in terms of power.
you've made +61 from those. Which for me would be around 370bhp. (as stock is 310). However the car makes way below stock, depending on fuel which is pretty shite. Think mine from looking at US guys numbers should be making around 280-290 (Depending on fuel etc), so maybe 350 on those calculations is a bit more accurate.

Time will tell, less than a month to get everything on, dialed in, and ready to rock and roll. :thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly couldn't agree more, i'm not decatting it's getting a 200cel HFC because MOT's are a thing, but decat vs HFC isn't worth much in terms of power.
you've made +61 from those. Which for me would be around 370bhp. (as stock is 310). However the car makes way below stock, depending on fuel which is pretty shite. Think mine from looking at US guys numbers should be making around 280-290 (Depending on fuel etc), so maybe 350 on those calculations is a bit more accurate.

Time will tell, less than a month to get everything on, dialed in, and ready to rock and roll. :thumbsup:

Ah yes I forgot about the Mustang 2.3's not making book figures, they are more about 285-295HP stock aint they?

A bit off to be honest, my guess is some kind of flow issues maybe on cylinder heads limiting power or the stock ECU tune is set on the very safe side and pulls timing even when mildly warm, always a good thing on a turbo car anyway because you've got a lot less room for error when it comes to fuelling and timing compared to NA.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ah yes I forgot about the Mustang 2.3's not making book figures, they are more about 285-295HP stock aint they?

A bit off to be honest, my guess is some kind of flow issues maybe on cylinder heads limiting power or the stock ECU tune is set on the very safe side and pulls timing even when mildly warm, always a good thing on a turbo car anyway because you've got a lot less room for error when it comes to fuelling and timing compared to NA.
Usually down to the stock intercooler being fucking shite that it pulls so much power off it, you're looking at something in the region of +40c to charge temps with a stock IC, and then looking at even one run being below book figures by about 20ish (It's about 250-285 depending on fuel, i think i should see the 285 side due to better fuel options to the US, as the 250ish side is for the weaker 87 oct's.

If i do mental maths and add up what i've got and dial it all in i should be at 400, but we all know man maths isn't accurate and just marketing voodoo bullshit (+10 for this, +15 for that etc etc lol).

If i get over 350 crank i'll be happy :). 370 and i'm laughing.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Steve, FYI I got 315 whp with my cp-e DeltaCore FMIC, MBRP Race exhausts (I don't think they add any power, maybe a couple of hps) and a 100 RON tune from Adam. No downpipe. This translates more or less to 370 hp to the crank (or even more, assuming that it is an auto). During 3rd gear pulls for datalogging, CATs are 8-10 C max above ambient (ambient temp being around 25 C).

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Steve, FYI I got 315 whp with my cp-e DeltaCore FMIC, MBRP Race exhausts (I don't think they add any power, maybe a couple of hps) and a 100 RON tune from Adam. No downpipe. This translates more or less to 370 hp to the crank (or even more, assuming that it is an auto). During 3rd gear pulls for datalogging, CATs are 8-10 C max above ambient (ambient temp being around 25 C).
Ay but it does very much depend on the dyno you're on, how accurate it is etc, I believe Maha is around 12% engine correctness onto the wheels.... 315 to 370 seems like a 15%(ish) increase, so bear that in mind when I post the figures.

If I do go over 370 then i'll be incredibly happy, but I don't expect it.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
There is indeed about 15% drivetrain loss for the manual and somewhere between 15-20% for the auto. Also, when you finalize the tune with Adam, if you ask him he will give you an estimation of whp.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There is indeed about 15% drivetrain loss for the manual and somewhere between 15-20% for the auto. Also, when you finalize the tune with Adam, if you ask him he will give you an estimation of whp.
Well will have to wait and see that then :p! Finalizing tune probably wont be until mid/late this month depending how many revisions etc.

IC is currently boost leaking and we can't find where the fecking leak is from.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to your numbers Steve.

Check the charge pipe. That's where the problem usually is. I had mine installed at the dealership as they are quite good and mod friendly. They checked everything thoroughly before they gave the car back to me. And also now they cannot deny warranty if something happens, as they did the installation!
Sponsored