Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the comments and help. Steeda strut fitment take 2. Took a bit longer due to coffee and cake! 😁

So I took the nuts off - defintely on too tight.

Too-Tight.jpg

Raided my dad's supply of washers and we worked out what we needed in order to level off the inner most studs. They all just needed a 2mm washer, one though needed x2 2mm washers.

Washers-Underneath.jpg

Doubled the washers up on top as recommended, cut away the edge of the larger washer to make way for the weld. Steeda really should supply wider washers to begin with. The ones supplied just cover the holes.

Washers-On-Top.jpg

Sitting much better now compared to yesterday on both sides (no floating gap).

Sitting-Flush.jpg

Sitting-Flush2.jpg

Then torqued them down. Much better feel through the torque wrench, you could feel them nipping up and going tight, whereas yesterday I could have just kept on going.

Finished.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Happy with that. 👍
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What is preventing the 2 surfaces from seating without the spacers?

That is very odd.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yeah I recall having to go through all this re-engineering of the situation. Ideally, the thick standoff washers supplied by Steeda would be identical thickness as the Ford cowl brace. Either you have to find washer(s) that match the cowl brace thickness, or add washer(s) on top of the cowl brace (and underneath the Steeda brace). IOW all the elevations have to match. What a hassle, especially when you start off thinking the install will go quick and easy.

Having said all this, the Steeda brace is nicely made, looks good, and performs well.

WoodburnGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Went drag racing yesterday with my son. Car went a best of 12.5 @115mph. Next week it gets kooks headers, and E85 dyno tune.

90EDA62B-FFE8-40BB-A22E-E47737621D32.jpeg

62CDA9E2-0B86-4415-9F38-CBC6D7ADD0A4.jpeg

CF32ECBB-FA87-4440-B9A3-6D63CE3C3A07.jpeg

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What is preventing the 2 surfaces from seating without the spacers?

That is very odd.
The fact that he has the cowl reinforcement. The cowl reinforcement is leveled for the ford brace, whereas the steeda brace is designed to drop straight onto the bare shock towers which have a bit of an angle normally. At least that's how I understood it.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Drove it to work to catch up on some things. Work on a want to be Mustang . I think a 5.0 will fit .
20220424_065040.jpg
20220424_065040.jpg
20220424_065032.jpg

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
This was me. :) I installed the Steeda strut brace and those are the aftermarket nuts it came with. The nuts have the white plastic inside. Steeda say 35lbft for the torque and I'm going to redo the fitment today.
Ok, those are Nylok nuts, designed to provide equal joint robustness to a standard (taller) nut with a much higher torque requirement. The plastic is Nylon. Notice that there are no threads sticking up after full assembly. Normally, a minimum of two exposed threads is the rule. With a standard nut/bolt joint the torque is determined by how many ft/lbs are needed to stretch the bolt. Stretching the bolt is what results in clamping power, which prevents loosening of the joint. The Nylok approach is equal in performance by preventing loosening caused by vibration. All at much lower torque values. Hope this helps... Let's hope Steeda engineers did the proper testing to confirm a solid joint over time considering the high amount of vibration in the engine compartment.

Jerry

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Well, it was yesterday, but put these puppies on. Did the Springs last year, should have done it all. Nice improvement.

IMG_20220423_092629893.jpg

IMG_20220423_092606307.jpg

5speed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18GT
Whats the active suspension like and how does it compare to stock ? I have some that will be installed thursday. Im hoping you say rides better than stock at slower speeds and when you load the suspension it stiffens nicely
Well, it was yesterday, but put these puppies on. Did the Springs last year, should have done it all. Nice improvement.

IMG_20220423_092629893.jpg

IMG_20220423_092606307.jpg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, those are Nylok nuts, designed to provide equal joint robustness to a standard (taller) nut with a much higher torque requirement. The plastic is Nylon. Notice that there are no threads sticking up after full assembly. Normally, a minimum of two exposed threads is the rule. With a standard nut/bolt joint the torque is determined by how many ft/lbs are needed to stretch the bolt. Stretching the bolt is what results in clamping power, which prevents loosening of the joint. The Nylok approach is equal in performance by preventing loosening caused by vibration. All at much lower torque values. Hope this helps... Let's hope Steeda engineers did the proper testing to confirm a solid joint over time considering the high amount of vibration in the engine compartment.

Jerry
Ford also use nyloc’s in that area, but of slightly different heights depending if they are on the body studs or not :

1650813680230.jpeg

Fords spec for the body studs :

1650813974523.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Jerry
Thanks! Yeah I'd have been happier with a few threads poking through but what I'll do is drive it a few times and then check the torque again and see if they are holding fast or not. :)

Ford also use nyloc’s in that area, but of slightly different heights depending if they are on the body studs or not :

1650813680230.jpeg

Fords spec for the body studs :

1650813974523.jpeg

WD :like:
Interesting Ford say 41 lbft whereas Steeda say 35 lbft. Not too worried... as I did them up to 45 lbft (60 Nm). 😋

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Whats the active suspension like and how does it compare to stock ? I have some that will be installed thursday. Im hoping you say rides better than stock at slower speeds and when you load the suspension it stiffens nicely
Only 50 miles or so, as I still need a proper alignment, but ride and response is improved. The Upper bearing of the strut mount built into the camber plates is much smoother than the OEM. So much so that normal steering mode feels like comfort. Will likely change when camber is dialed in, but it was noticeable. Much smoother, much less pitching on rough roads, and tight response. Biggest change was in the rear which is more comfortable.

**One caveat is that the shop that did the Sport spring install last summer did NOT trim the bump stops, so some of the pitching was likely due to being on the bump stops early. These prebuilt Steeda units with upper mount and camber plates are outstanding.

I did notice that the Steeda shocks say made in Holland. Is that Intrax, Koni , SAF?

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I added the Ford Performance GT500 spoiler. Also added the Soler Performance Throttle Body & controller to compliment my Ford Performance Tune. Haven't used the controller yet I'm still getting used to the throttle body. Well worth the money and really made the car more fun to drive, if that was even possible! Quicker throttle response, more zesty, and feels more powerful. Who knows, on the dyno I could've lost power, but feels much stronger overall. YMMV!

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
Thanks! Yeah I'd have been happier with a few threads poking through but what I'll do is drive it a few times and then check the torque again and see if they are holding fast or not. :)

Interesting Ford say 41 lbft whereas Steeda say 35 lbft. Not too worried... as I did them up to 45 lbft (60 Nm). 😋
Use a Sharpie and put a line across somewhere... My bet is you are ok, unless you go off roading! :)
Sponsored