Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
I purchased the Avalon King kit yesterday to coat the car and wheels for my 20 Bullitt. I will need some direction on all of the prep that is recommended as I don't appear to have any issues with the existing finish.
There's plenty of videos made by Avalon's King on youtube telling you how to prep car's and wheel's.
Sponsored

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
Did you take the wheels off to clean and coat?
Yes I remove The wheels because I whant to do The inside of The wheels,simple The wheels Need to be super clean,after you have to mix rubbing alcool in a spray bottle(avalonking instruction web site) whit a microfiber cloth wash The wheels whit The rubbing alcool And you are ready to put The ceramic coating! I put 2 coat avalonking say Max 3 coat.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
How long did it take? Did you use jack stands or a lift? Mine has been sitting in my basement since November. I'm a fair weather mechanic. Temps in the 60's this week supposedly so maybe I'll do it.
Took me a solid 4.5-5 hours over three days. Second shifter job I've ever done and the first on a car made post '69. If I knew all the tricks and what would and wouldn't work before hand, I could easily have knocked it out in 3. I completed everything with the front of the car on ramps and the back on jack stands.

I did not drop the drive shaft but the 10mm side bolt hung me up trying to break loose and get out. It wasn't until I unbolted the exhaust clamps near/under the transmission did everything drop about 1.5-2 inches. bolt slid out no issues. Also, the top bolt of the linkage was a PITA to pull out. For some reason, it was super tight and took me about 20 minutes to find a position where I could pull it up and out.

Pulling the shifter out was also a bit of a process. Since the DS was in the way, I had to have my wife hold it steady while I worked on breaking the bottom assembly from the top.

That said, once the stock unit was out, I had the MGW linkage, shifter, bracket, exhaust and crossmember frame bolted back up in less than an hour. The driver side bracket of the MGW piece that bolts to the transmission gave me a fight since I couldn't hold the top bolt and keep it from spinning while tightening; just no room for my hand. I put a swivel head on the socket (10mm?) and dropped it onto that top bolt then tightened the bottom nut. The swivel head at a 90 degree made contact with the firewall and held the top bolt steady as I tightened the nut and lock nut.

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
Know you weren't asking me but time can vary a lot. Most was fast and easy. But the horizontal bolt on top of the trans would not come out or go back in with the trans in place; too close to the tunnel. Apparently some will and some won't. Managed to lower the trans with a prybar to get the bolt out but no way to get it back in by myself on jack stands. On a lift you can hang your entire weight on the trans to pull it down to where the tunnel is wider. Laying on the floor you just have part of your upper body weight. Wasn't enough for me. And no way to get the pry bar in the same spot with the MGW shifter installed. Finally had to get someone to push down from inside the car while I pulled down from below with one hand and jammed the bolt in with the other. Moral: just because some have more clearance or could pull down on a lift, don't count on being that lucky.
That bolt did give me some issue. It was super tight in the stock unit. Fortunately, it went in with no drama to the MGW linkage. It wasn't until I Unbolted the exhaust clamps did I have enough room to work with that top bolt and the 10mm side bolt. Come to think of it, wasn't until I read your install thread where I saw someone mention doing that and luckily it worked for me.

Sponsored

Sigman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Mustang MT82
Pulled the #8 fuse from the passenger kick panel fuse block.

Sponsored

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
if you saw how those wieners are made you'd gladly gut and clean those fish with a dull butter knife and rusty nail.
That's why they call them mystery missiles

Sides that took the Mustang out of her winter home and took her for a nice spin and then gave her a bath

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
if you saw how those wieners are made you'd gladly gut and clean those fish with a dull butter knife and rusty nail.
I worked in a Ballparks Franks Plant! The rusty nail and butter knife is better!
Sponsored