Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
No doubt disabling center is better for music. But wish I knew for sure if any of the numerous sound sources would be impaired by disabling it. I mean some sources don't even exist in some cars and some owners might not be care or use ones they have. 56k+ posts too big a haystack to find any needles in.
I just removed mine. Literally took less than 10 minutes from time I walked outside. Itā€™s very warm and a great time to use a trim tool and not risk breaking tabs. Had windows up and the inside was very warm. Pry the dash trim loose just below the speaker panel and lift it up slightly. Pry the speaker grille loose from front by the dash trim and then work twd the windshield. Remove the two 7mm bolts holding the speaker and unplug it. Secure the plug with gorilla tape and reinstall the speaker or completely remove it. I removed mine but put the 7mm bolts back in so Iā€™ll know where they are as well as the retainer clips. Reverse install the speaker grille and push the tabs back in on the dash above the AC vents.

Now, I donā€™t drive a ton of miles but next time iā€™m out (Monday) Iā€™ll make some calls and see how it does. As for the sound there is definitely separation now and I adjusted the position to be front biased and slightly to the right. Sounds good to me.
Sponsored

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Got the car back yesterday. Finally ditched the Shelby tune and got a custom tune to better account for the catted headers. Better power delivery and much better driveability now šŸ¤™- 93 Octane

Tuned by Majed Tuning at Mohs Motorsport.

IMG_20230419_215400_732.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_115901_Instagram.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just removed mine. Literally took less than 10 minutes from time I walked outside. Itā€™s very warm and a great time to use a trim tool and not risk breaking tabs. Had windows up and the inside was very warm. Pry the dash trim loose just below the speaker panel and lift it up slightly. Pry the speaker grille loose from front by the dash trim and then work twd the windshield. Remove the two 7mm bolts holding the speaker and unplug it. Secure the plug with gorilla tape and reinstall the speaker or completely remove it. I removed mine but put the 7mm bolts back in so Iā€™ll know where they are as well as the retainer clips. Reverse install the speaker grille and push the tabs back in on the dash above the AC vents.

Now, I donā€™t drive a ton of miles but next time iā€™m out (Monday) Iā€™ll make some calls and see how it does. As for the sound there is definitely separation now and I adjusted the position to be front biased and slightly to the right. Sounds good to me.
How to disable is easy.
But the sources you mention are just a few. Navigation is another, Sync prompts another, do CarPlay and/or Android Auto also have their own volume control/memory and possibly speaker affinity? Differences between model years?

Not complaining, just commenting why I'm not disabling the center speaker yet. Maybe if/when some internal document is leaked or crowdsourced like with Forescan (sp?) that lists all the possible sources for any model/year/options and what speakers those are sent to, etc..

update: Just noticed this is the "what did you do..." thread. Thought I was posting in the center speaker thread which probably has a LOT fewer posts to wade thru.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
How to disable is easy.
But the sources you mention are just a few. Navigation is another, Sync prompts another, do CarPlay and/or Android Auto also have their own volume control/memory and possibly speaker affinity? Differences between model years?

Not complaining, just commenting why I'm not disabling the center speaker yet. Maybe if/when some internal document is leaked or crowdsourced like with Forescan (sp?) that lists all the possible sources for any model/year/options and what speakers those are sent to, etc..

update: Just noticed this is the "what did you do..." thread. Thought I was posting in the center speaker thread which probably has a LOT fewer posts to wade thru.
I definitely understand your concerns/questions. I donā€™t use Sync, or Voice Navigation for directions. I use Carplay for everything. I use Google Maps and will see how that changes with the removal, so the only other feature I use the speakers for is for phone calls. I use Siri to make them.

Itā€™s easy enough to reverse so maybe you could be the one to educate others on how the disconnection of the speaker effects all those other utilities since you tend to use them?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
How to disable is easy.

There isn't a single sound that is exclusive to the dash center channel. All front speakers play back with Nav and Sync. The head unit has FRONT Left & Right plus REAR Left & Right signals. Any sound coming from the dash speaker is simply a down-mix done in the DSP amp. So have no concerns removing the dash speaker. All features remain functional and your stereo will sound better.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There isn't a single sound that is exclusive to the dash center channel. All front speakers play back with Nav and Sync. The head unit has FRONT Left & Right plus REAR Left & Right signals. Any sound coming from the dash speaker is simply a down-mix done in the DSP amp. So have no concerns removing the dash speaker. All features remain functional and your stereo will sound better.
That's enough for me to give it a try. Thanks. šŸ‘

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Itā€™s easy enough to reverse so maybe you could be the one to educate others on how the disconnection of the speaker effects all those other utilities since you tend to use them?
The problem with that plan is my advice is notoriously unreliable. :wink:

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Yesterday morning I decided to take a drive in the Moosetang from Lenoir City down 321/95/72/129 to Chilhowee and then I took the Foothills Parkway up to Townsend. In Townsend I stopped in the Smokey Mountain National Park visitors center to purchase an annual Smokey Mountain National Park parking pass (it's new this year and required if you plan to park for more than 15 minutes anywhere in the park). Then I drove up Little River Gorge Rd (beautiful drive as all the foliage is Bright Green!) to Wear Cove Gap Rd and up to Wears Valley. From Wears Valley I took Hwy 321 all the way back to Lenoir City.
20230420_100805.jpg

20230420_100912.jpg

Last edited:

RowdyRam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
22 GT DMG 6M Coupe
Yesterday I decided to take a drive in the morning. I drove the Moosetang from Lenoir City down 321/95/72/129 to Chilhowee and then I took the Foothills Parkway up to Townsend. In Townsend I stopped in the Smokey Mountain National Park visitors center to purchase an annual Smokey Mountain National Park parking pass (it's new this year and required if you plan to park for more than 15 minutes anywhere in the park). Then I drove up Little River Gorge Rd (beautiful drive as all the foliage is Bright Green!) to Wear Cove Gap Rd and up to Wears Valley. From Wears Valley I took Hwy 321 all the way back to Lenoir City.
My old stomping grounds. Man we used to run those roads all the time. Brings back memories reading your post. I grew up in Oak Ridge/Claxton/Kingston.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The center speaker prevents you from hearing left-right stereo separation. Also, it isnā€™t a real high quality speaker.
If it was not a royal pain, I'd try a quality speaker and see if that helped when using the "surround" setting. just to see. seems light rock and classical music the surround setting don't sound bad, just that speaker seems like a clock radio speaker.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Yesterday morning I decided to take a drive in the Moosetang from Lenoir City down 321/95/72/129 to Chilhowee and then I took the Foothills Parkway up to Townsend. In Townsend I stopped in the Smokey Mountain National Park visitors center to purchase an annual Smokey Mountain National Park parking pass (it's new this year and required if you plan to park for more than 15 minutes anywhere in the park). Then I drove up Little River Gorge Rd (beautiful drive as all the foliage is Bright Green!) to Wear Cove Gap Rd and up to Wears Valley. From Wears Valley I took Hwy 321 all the way back to Lenoir City.
20230420_100805.jpg

20230420_100912.jpg
very nice, shot.

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Took it to Ford for an oil change... hope they don't damage anything... I've instructed them NOT to wash it. Just change the oil, flush the fuel system, check the alignment and give it back. (and make sure it gets the full 10 quarts that Ford didn't do when I bought it)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Took it to Ford for an oil change... hope they don't damage anything... I've instructed them NOT to wash it. Just change the oil, flush the fuel system, check the alignment and give it back. (and make sure it gets the full 10 quarts that Ford didn't do when I bought it)
I got one of these and just leave it behind the shifter for the rare occasions I go to the dealer lol
https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Accessories-M12/Do-Not-Wash-Rear-View-Mirror-Hang-Tag-P897/

Why do you want them to flush the fuel system? That's a worthless service 99% of the time

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I got one of these and just leave it behind the shifter for the rare occasions I go to the dealer lol
https://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Accessories-M12/Do-Not-Wash-Rear-View-Mirror-Hang-Tag-P897/

Why do you want them to flush the fuel system? That's a worthless service 99% of the time
I will get one of these for the future.

The fuel system flush is for piece of mind for me, it's a 2019 with 11K so I assume it's spent quite a bit of it's life sitting around and apparently its suggested at 15k... it's not something I'll be doing very often that's for sure.
Sponsored

Last edited: