What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The 240lbs was just there for about 10min drive from the store. Now I have only half, i.e. 120lbs.

That's considered a lot for the suspension to handle? It's like having a younger teenager in the back seat, except this is evenly distributed over the wheels.

I have good performance winter wheels, but I thought the rear was so light that sometimes they don't get enough traction...
Am def wanting to learn if I'm doing this wrong!
240 lbs all the time will wear things in the rear suspension faster. But I get it's really 120 lbs.

Keep in mind the physics; the more weight back there, the higher the likelihood over-steer will occur, and the more severe it will be. It's a pendulum effect.

And these cars already have substantial weight over the rear wheels.

Really, the best bet for better traction is tires.

But....it's your car, and this is all just my opinions/preferences.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind the physics; the more weight back there, the higher the likelihood over-steer will occur, and the more severe it will be. It's a pendulum effect.
you're assuming (rather bigly) that the tires are already at their lateral limits of friction and that the extra mechanical grip imparted by another 150-200lbs of weight doesn't also translate in the lateral direction. Sure if it was a big 200lb ball rolling around freely banging from side to side the shock imparted by the weight slamming into the stops might disrupt the mechanical grip and cause the rear to let go.

200 lbs extra weight is only a sag of 0.6" measured at the wheel anyway.
200/175 /2 = 0.57

But in the general case you're blowing this totally out of proportion. If I throw a fat guy into my trunk because he owes me money and we're on our way to the Bronx river to throw him to the fishes, I can't imaging I'll be driving any different on the way there than when I have some skinny low-life on his way to the same demise. :)

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
you're assuming (rather bigly) that the tires are already at their lateral limits of friction and that the extra mechanical grip imparted by another 150-200lbs of weight doesn't also translate in the lateral direction. Sure if it was a big 200lb ball rolling around freely banging from side to side the shock imparted by the weight slamming into the stops might disrupt the mechanical grip and cause the rear to let go.

200/175 /2 = 0.57

But in the general case you're blowing this totally out of proportion. If I throw a fat guy into my trunk because he owes me money and we're on our way to the Bronx river to throw him to the fishes, I can't imaging I'll be driving any different on the way there than when I have some skinny low-life on his way to the same demise. :)
Let's be objective about this.

The weight WILL aid in straight-ahead traction, it will help get you going. The weight will also cause the back end to slide around more. So it's a double edged sword.

It's just physics, it can't be argued with. More weight equals more of a pendulum effect. An object in motion tends to stay in motion, and that extra weight increases the chances the back end will step out. And when it does, it will be harder to control.

We're talking about winter roads with snow and ice, where the smallest things make larger differences. So we're already talking about being at the limit of mechanical grip to the road.

From 25+ years of Michigan winter driving, it's the tires. Adding weight in the trunk is a 1/2 measure with draw-backs.

So...yes, driving back to the Machus Red Fox after depositing Hoffa in the Rouge river, on a snow & ice covered Telegraph Rd., that missing 200lbs will hurt you getting going, but help should the rear decide to swap ends with the front end. :cwl: :cwl:

ETA; call it the "Porsche 911 effect". Once that ass-end is lost, she's comin' all the way around!!!

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

200/175 /2 = 0.57

I did read that the S550 is popular with NJ mobsters as it can haul a big body in the trunk easily. :lipssealed:

Let's be objective about this.

The weight WILL aid in straight-ahead traction, it will help get you going. The weight will also cause the back end to slide around more. So it's a double edged sword.

It's just physics, it can't be argued with. More weight equals more of a pendulum effect. An object in motion tends to stay in motion, and that extra weight increases the chances the back end will step out. And when it does, it will be harder to control.

We're talking about winter roads with snow and ice, where the smallest things make larger differences. So we're already talking about being at the limit of mechanical grip to the road.

From 25+ years of Michigan winter driving, it's the tires. Adding weight in the trunk is a 1/2 measure with draw-backs.

So...yes, driving back to the Machus Red Fox after depositing Hoffa in the Rouge river, on a snow & ice covered Telegraph Rd., that missing 200lbs will hurt you getting going, but help should the rear decide to swap ends with the front end. :cwl: :cwl:

ETA; call it the "Porsche 911 effect". Once that ass-end is lost, she's comin' all the way around!!!
Holy s*it did I start a storm here didn't I....

First off, I have dedicated winter tires on right now. I am not trying to be stupid and improve traction of summer tires in winter.
I have Sotozzero 3 tires, which were highly rated (C&D had the 2s on their winter Bullitt and loved them), I just got the next gen of them after good reviews and recommendation of people at TireRack.
The tires are great, but there were a couple of turns they were spinning on me more than I'd like. They have a ton of thread as they've been on for only about 6,000 miles between this and last year's winter.

I simply put the bags in there for increased traction. I'm 260lbs, had 240 in the back and 30lbs on the passenger floor, so I had 530lbs in there altogether, that was a 12min drive during which it was dry and I drove like a grandpa.
Now I have the 120 in the trunk and drive by myself 90% of the time.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Holy s*it did I start a storm here didn't I....

First off, I have dedicated winter tires on right now. I have Sotozzero 3 tires, which were highly rated (C&D had the 2s on their winter Bullitt and loved them), I just got the next gen of them after good reviews and recommendation of people at TireRack.
The tires are great, but there were a couple of turns they were spinning on me more than I'd like. They have a ton of thread as they've been on for only about 6,000 miles between this and last year's winter.

I simply put the bags in there for increased traction. I'm 260lbs, had 240 in the back and 30lbs on the passenger floor, so I had 530lbs in there altogether.
Now I have the 120 in the trunk and drive by myself 90% of the time.
Nooooo....no poop storm.

Nice to hear you've got the snow tires on. They look like you could scale the Alps with them.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
One other issue with the weight in the back. You realize that if you do have an accident when you hit that ditch and stop suddenly, that weight will continue momentum forward and through the back seats? Not much is going to stop 120 lbs of flying weight from coming through the seat back and aimed right at you.

I grew up in Michigan and drove through a lot of snow storms. And when I got my license RWD was the norm - 4x4 was rare and FWD even rarer (maybe the Olds Toronado and that was it). Never drove with weight in the trunk and never had a problem. I drove my 2006, with supercharger, on a commute from Port Huron to downtown Detroit daily (>50 miles each way) through some big snow and ice storms.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
One other issue with the weight in the back. You realize that if you do have an accident when you hit that ditch and stop suddenly, that weight will continue momentum forward and through the back seats? Not much is going to stop 120 lbs of flying weight from coming through the seat back and aimed right at you.

I grew up in Michigan and drove through a lot of snow storms. And when I got my license RWD was the norm - 4x4 was rare and FWD even rarer (maybe the Olds Toronado and that was it). Never drove with weight in the trunk and never had a problem. I drove my 2006, with supercharger, on a commute from Port Huron to downtown Detroit daily (>50 miles each way) through some big snow and ice storms.
I remember....Michigan winters in my Honda Prelude. Finding a snow-covered, empty parking lot......and doing reverse doughnuts.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Right, I realize inertia is a thing and that weight would need to come to an abrupt stop somewhere. I guess I thought that the seat latches and the anchor points mount to the same sheetmetal, so I was hoping the latch would be as strong, but that's probably not the case.

I also realized I got the AA spare, so probably good 50lbs over stock in there already. Maybe I ought to take the sand out, consensus seems to be just to trust the winter tires.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Right, I realize inertia is a thing and that weight would need to come to an abrupt stop somewhere. I guess I thought that the seat latches and the anchor points mount to the same sheetmetal, so I was hoping the latch would be as strong, but that's probably not the case.

I also realized I got the AA spare, so probably good 50lbs over stock in there already. Maybe I ought to take the sand out, consensus seems to be just to trust the winter tires.
An experiment? Go sliding that ass-end around like a cheap hoo........

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Ripped around north Marin and south Sonoma counties this morning. Car ran great in the brisk air and I been trying to wipe the stupid grin off my face ever since.:)

djpayne2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco Premium
What cleaner/brand did you used to clean the engine bay?
Chemical Guys Waterless. Brand new so not really dirty just cleaning up some water spots and dust.

djpayne2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco Premium
Sure! I’m in Indiana and the total for the XPEL was $2475 out the door.
I'm in Rhode Island and for the same work with Xpel I was quoted about the same price. It did include full ceramic coat.

TrackMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Wrapped the dash matte black
A1A1EFCB-C7FB-4160-B62B-CE3147F087FA.jpeg

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Conv and 2019 GT Premium Coupe
Wrapped the dash matte black
A1A1EFCB-C7FB-4160-B62B-CE3147F087FA.jpeg
That came out good. Old school look. You did it yourself? I started experimenting with wrap last year. It's a great product to keep your car changing and fresh or different. I just wrapped a PP1 nickel luster wheel last night but it was a pain in the @$$. I pealed it off today. Too many overlaps. But it was fun to see the look. Took about 3hours. No way I was going to do 3 more.

20220117_133347.jpg

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT 2021 Premium T. Orange - Manual
Washed my car again, shocker..

16 - CJ Pony Parts - 2