Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
We screwed up yesterday trying to replace the rear rotors and brake pads. We couldn't compress the caliper enough to make the new brake pads fit. I was using this tool to compress but it wouldn't go in and also there was fluid leaking from piston seals. Any ideas on how to fix it or do i need a new caliper?
20200324_154431.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0012.jpg
brakepistoncompress.JPG
Jesus, who painted the caliper?! I bet the paint is going into the seal and causing it to leak past.

I used the same tool the other week, not sure how you're not able to push the piston back in, just place the plate on the tool on the inside of the caliper and twist the knob.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
We screwed up yesterday trying to replace the rear rotors and brake pads. We couldn't compress the caliper enough to make the new brake pads fit. I was using this tool to compress but it wouldn't go in and also there was fluid leaking from piston seals. Any ideas on how to fix it or do i need a new caliper?
20200324_154431.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0012.jpg
brakepistoncompress.JPG
I donā€™t know mustangs, but Iā€™ve had similar types of callipers on other cars.

The piston needs winding back in whist pressure is applied. Iā€™ve use a two pin push bike bottom bracket spanner to get some purchase in the shapes on the piston face - c clip pliers would also work.

I canā€™t comment on your leakage, but it doesnā€™t sound good. Trying to be positive, has the piston been pushed out too far and fluid has breached the seal ?

Hope you get it sorted :like:

WD :like:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Jesus, who painted the caliper?! I bet the paint is going into the seal and causing it to leak past.

I used the same tool the other week, not sure how you're not able to push the piston back in, just place the plate on the tool on the inside of the caliper and twist the knob.
A shop painted it a year and half ago. I don't paint has gotten into the seal.

I donā€™t know mustangs, but Iā€™ve had similar types of callipers on other cars.

The piston needs winding back in whist pressure is applied. Iā€™ve use a two pin push bike bottom bracket spanner to gett some purchase in the shape on the piston face - c clip pliers would also work.

I canā€™t comment on your leakage, but it doesnā€™t sound good. Trying to be positive, has the piston been pushed out too far and fluid has breached the seal ?

Hope you get it sorted :like:

I just saw the LMR video and i think we screwed up pretty bad. Turns out there's a special tool to both turn and compress it. We probably squeezed the piston too hard and ruined it. I know it's dumb we pressed the brake once during this causing the piston to be pushed out too far and hence the fluid leak. I'll order a new set of calipers

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
So long as the seals havenā€™t been damaged and you donā€™t drag crap back into them they ā€˜shouldā€™ be OK with some careful reassembly.

Press a bit (with the tool you have) turn a bit with the c clip pliers (keep repeating) and you can compress them OK. I donā€™t think you would have damaged anything - I think that mechanism is designed to compensate for brake pad wear and handbrake adjustment, I should imagine itā€™s pretty tough (at least as tough as the thread on the tool you have been applying pressure with).

Sponsored

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Installed FP half shafts! Getting ready for that transbrake launch! Virus go away, so the local track can open!

Stone pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT/CS
Looks good. Do you have any more pictures or info?
Took a general measurement. 32 side to side x 22 in the center front to back apx 20 on the sides frt to back overall. Card board template to fit. Then fit some thin cabinet veneer from the template. Used some thin metal to created the bend of the two pieces. Ordered some of the trunk liner material, black, maybe grey would have been the better match. Spray adhesive the material to the veneer. I remover the back seat and lifted the package tray and used a few screws to attach to the front lip of pack tray metal structure behind the seat back. I used velcro and tucked the back part under the trunk seal. Then just tucked the side in the existing trunk trim. I also added some pillow stuffing, not sure if it will help speaker operation or not. I'm old and deaf, lol. That wasn't the important part for me.
20200322_132920.jpg
20200322_142429.jpg
20200324_120635.jpg

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
20200324_154431.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20200324-WA0012.jpg
brakepistoncompress.JPG
You have to "screw in" the piston. you must twist the piston in at the same time compress on the piston so that it will compress.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoostā„¢, Vert, MagneRideĀ® PP
Vehicle Showcase
installed an X-Force Varex exhaust and Steeda jacking rails
45791A18-750A-4767-B1EE-32E333010055.jpeg
Looks as if X-Force Varex gets the award for nice-looking stuff you can't see without crawling.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoostā„¢, Vert, MagneRideĀ® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't like the unfinished look under the package tray in the trunk. So I fixed it.
20200322_133114.jpg
Very nice work. That's one of the places you could go without seeing for the life of the car. I use a couple of those ovalish holes as anchors for a bungee cord. A partially-dismantled Carabiner Hook makes for a handy hanging stabilizer for those horrible one-use plastic shopping bags the stores and restaurants force on you in their attempts to destroy the world.