Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Ah. I see now. If the springs are the right length though, I don't see how it would be loose enough to cause a bang that you are hearing. There should be a lot of pressure forcing both sides of the spring and isolators against the subframe and chassis.
Ya, there is (pressure). Even with the car jacked up, I can't wiggle it around per-say. The other side really isn't any different and that doesn't make the noise. That's why I think putting a camera under there this even hopefully lets me either see, or hear the issue better. I will have an external mic so hopefully I pick it up. I think the problem is..., the empty trunk amplifies it and I have no idea where it's coming from other than that side of the rear.
Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
[MENTION=25003]wireeater[/MENTION]

I've been reading up on these like crazy, and I keep coming to a "shock mount" issue. Is the gold coupler that the rear shock is mounted to seated correctly? Also, is it a bearing system?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Nope. Only running a 275 in the rear. It's only coming from the RH rear side, or at least it sounds like it. It's been like that since I've installed coil-overs, so quite some time. Just getting to hunting it down because it's actually bothering me now.

I pulled the strut off to make sure it wasn't blown. Checked the strut mount to make sure it wasn't broke. Dropped the RH subframe, reset the spring and adjustable isolator, and re-torqued all the bolts with req. spec. Maybe I still didn't get the isolator seated tight enough and when the car bounces up, when it comes back down on the isolator it is making the sound?
Hmm, sounds like quite the conundrum. However if the isolator isnt tight enough (which your install sounds very thorough) you would hear the thunk at all speeds not just the 25 mph as you described right?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Ya, there is (pressure). Even with the car jacked up, I can't wiggle it around per-say. The other side really isn't any different and that doesn't make the noise. That's why I think putting a camera under there this even hopefully lets me either see, or hear the issue better. I will have an external mic so hopefully I pick it up. I think the problem is..., the empty trunk amplifies it and I have no idea where it's coming from other than that side of the rear.
Good call. I would be interested in checking out the vid and sound clip if you post it up (plan to go coils sometime and would like to know what to look for). TIA.

DFWStangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White GT
Sigh. Still in search of the rear "thunk" sound on the RH side. Pulled the sub frame, suspension out for the second day in the row trying different things and I still hear it. Now I'm wondering if it's the suspension or maybe the exhaust, but I can't see how the exhaust would be hitting the body. All I know is there is a loud thunk-in-the-trunk when hitting bumps going 25+mph. Going to mount a gopro underneath this evening and see if I can't see/hear it better. Otherwise, booty-licious.
Mine had the same noise when going over bumps only on the one side. We figured out that the sub frame bolts weren't completely snug when they were tightened even thought they seemed to be torqued properly.

Sponsored

kenbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic Pro Gold package, a bit of a shoot:

outstanding gloss!! Best thing I ever did as well, CQuartz UK. Did you do it yourself! How long ago?? Awesome pics. What do you use as a detail spray?? I use ECH2O. It takes it to another level of "pop" !!

I had a detailer do it about a week or so ago so still curing! Sucks that I have to park underground at work though... can't stare at it randomly during the day LOL.

I didn't trust myself to apply all those coats! Plus I live in a condo where I'm positive people are parking in the wash bay because i can't find one, so nowhere to actually do it!

ECH20 huh? I always like extra pop! Have to look into that, thanks for the suggestion!!!!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Mine had the same noise when going over bumps only on the one side. We figured out that the sub frame bolts weren't completely snug when they were tightened even thought they seemed to be torqued properly.
I torqued them down to 130lbs yesterday. The first time (Tuesday) I torqued them to 160lbs not sure how much tighter I could even get with them. Maybe I'll hit them one more time just to make sure but damn, I'd hope I wouldn't need them any tighter.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=25003]wireeater[/MENTION]

I've been reading up on these like crazy, and I keep coming to a "shock mount" issue. Is the gold coupler that the rear shock is mounted to seated correctly? Also, is it a bearing system?
Ya. I mean physically inspecting, the shock mount looks fine. There is no sort of play or damage that I can see. I had a few friends that were on air that had them go out and told me to check. I could always switch sides (assuming they can be switched)... that would be easy because they aren't hard to take off and clearly if the sides switched making the sound, then it would be the mount.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Isolator sits above the spring on the rear which allows the adjustment. The BC-BR rears are not a one piece.

E-32-BR-2.jpg
Aftermarket vertical links?

I have clunking at the RR on low speed bumps but it's most noticeable in low speed turns, especially incline/decline turns like a parking lot ramp. Got the car up on Sunday and noticed my RR spring has "unclocked" itself and kind of spitting out the lower isolator but didn't have time to mess with it due to incoming rain. Looked around a little more and thought it may be the steeda vertical link binding. Backed off the bolts a little and the clunk has decreased in sound and frequency. May back them completely off, slide a jack under the control arm and load it, then re-torque the bolts. If I can get to it tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to put some miles on it and confirm if that solves the problem.

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ordered some matte black 5.0 fender emblems.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Ordered some matte black 5.0 fender emblems.
Where did you get them? Im looking for a set too but dont trust the ebay ones

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Where did you get them? Im looking for a set too but dont trust the ebay ones
American Muscle. I have bought numerous things from them and always been satisfied.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Aftermarket vertical links?

I have clunking at the RR on low speed bumps but it's most noticeable in low speed turns, especially incline/decline turns like a parking lot ramp. Got the car up on Sunday and noticed my RR spring has "unclocked" itself and kind of spitting out the lower isolator but didn't have time to mess with it due to incoming rain. Looked around a little more and thought it may be the steeda vertical link binding. Backed off the bolts a little and the clunk has decreased in sound and frequency. May back them completely off, slide a jack under the control arm and load it, then re-torque the bolts. If I can get to it tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to put some miles on it and confirm if that solves the problem.
Mine is less of driveline clunk. It literally sounds like something slapping the bottom of the car. it can be loud.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Got This Installed

Got around to getting it installed.
Love it because its straight from Ford and looks great. :thumbsup:
IMG_5205.JPG