Sponsored

What did you do to your GT350 today?

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Technically not TODAY, but.........

I couldn't believe all the bugs in the pleats of the filter after only about 1200 miles, so added an Outerwears pre-filter.

I had always used them in off-road stuff and they made a huge difference keeping the bigger debris out while still allowing good airflow. I looked on their website to order one, but couldn't find one listed for the GT350. A couple emails and measurements later and they sent me one that fits great. No way for the bugs to get all jammed up in the pleats now!
CC3481F8-EA77-4B4D-B44F-E06A67C782FB.jpeg
11695796-261C-4A6A-AE50-7099F45D9179_1_201_a.jpeg
FE5A8CCA-9C51-4766-8AA9-DDF0FF1A0C07_1_201_a.jpeg
380D1939-7298-4250-B9A0-5F90C1CC1E2A_1_201_a.jpeg

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Swapping out my signature wheels for the OEM CF with cup 2's... getting ready for last track day of the season on Monday... pics to follow :like:

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Signing up for a track day with SCDA.. 375.. expensive.
Getting point by from an all track setup Lotus .. priceless.

Palmer_10_21_2020.jpg

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

I couldn't believe all the bugs in the pleats of the filter after only about 1200 miles, so added an Outerwears pre-filter.

I had always used them in off-road stuff and they made a huge difference keeping the bigger debris out while still allowing good airflow. I looked on their website to order one, but couldn't find one listed for the GT350. A couple emails and measurements later and they sent me one that fits great. No way for the bugs to get all jammed up in the pleats now!
I am sorry but nothing that could ever, by any chance, even remotely decrease airflow will live on my air filter... I mean the purpose of the air filter is to .... filter air. You are installing a device for the purpose of filtering the air for, ergh, the air filter? .... WHY? Even if you don't lose HP, which I doubt, why? Just change the filter every year.
It is just marketing, don't believe all the BS fed to you ... I suppose I am more skeptical, being born and raised in a communist country..... I believe half of what I am being told, and check out and ensure I find the reasoning for the other half... yes it is that bad over there. :)
No offense, just my 2 cents (phrase I learned on the internet, not really sure what it means:))

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I am sorry but nothing that could ever, by any chance, even remotely decrease airflow will live on my air filter... .... WHY?
I get what you are saying, but you kinda answered your own question there. I think you missed the part about the pleats being half filled with bugs after only about 1200 miles. Now, total disclaimer.....I haven't done any scientific air flow studies of bugs.....but I'm thinking air doesn't flow THROUGH bugs very well, so as your pleats get filled with bugs, you WOULD more than "even remotely decrease airflow "if you allowed them to "live on your air filter."

Another disclaimer.....I daily drive my car (more or less, I have a truck too) and I live in the Coastal Southeast where we have LOTS of bugs, especially around dusk and for the next hour or two, which happens to be when I'm coming home from work. Actually, during love bug season, it really doesn't matter WHAT time of day it happens to be! (Do they even have Love Bugs in MA? If not, Google them and look at the images of the front end of vehicles.....no, seriously, do it!) If I allowed the bugs to build up for a year.....well, I'm sure you get the picture. So if you lived in my shoes, because of your desire to not have anything on your filter that would decrease airflow, you'd be cleaning your filter every 2 weeks or so - probably more? Sure, it doesn't take that long and some people don't have anything better to do. I'm not one of those people!

I'd agree, though, that for those of you that barely drive your cars or only take them to the track in the middle of a perfect day when the bugs aren't active, or maybe live in an area that doesn't have so many bugs, a pre-filter may be totally useless, but they really DO serve a purpose for some.

However, having said all of that, if you find some credible source that has done flow studies and shown a decrease in airflow due to an Outerwears, DO let me know and I'll reconsider. I think, though, that you'll just find people on the internet with opinions but no data to support their opinions! :wink:

This is the only thing I could find and it DID come from Outerwears website, so take it for what it's worth....

1603346720756.png

Sponsored

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350 whipple charged, 1972 Camaro SS pro touring
I get what you are saying, but you kinda answered your own question there. I think you missed the part about the pleats being half filled with bugs after only about 1200 miles. Now, total disclaimer.....I haven't done any scientific air flow studies of bugs.....but I'm thinking air doesn't flow THROUGH bugs very well, so as your pleats get filled with bugs, you WOULD more than "even remotely decrease airflow "if you allowed them to "live on your air filter."

Another disclaimer.....I daily drive my car (more or less, I have a truck too) and I live in the Coastal Southeast where we have LOTS of bugs, especially around dusk and for the next hour or two, which happens to be when I'm coming home from work. Actually, during love bug season, it really doesn't matter WHAT time of day it happens to be! (Do they even have Love Bugs in MA? If not, Google them and look at the images of the front end of vehicles.....no, seriously, do it!) If I allowed the bugs to build up for a year.....well, I'm sure you get the picture. So if you lived in my shoes, because of your desire to not have anything on your filter that would decrease airflow, you'd be cleaning your filter every 2 weeks or so - probably more? Sure, it doesn't take that long and some people don't have anything better to do. I'm not one of those people!

I'd agree, though, that for those of you that barely drive your cars or only take them to the track in the middle of a perfect day when the bugs aren't active, or maybe live in an area that doesn't have so many bugs, a pre-filter may be totally useless, but they really DO serve a purpose for some.

However, having said all of that, if you find some credible source that has done flow studies and shown a decrease in airflow due to an Outerwears, DO let me know and I'll reconsider. I think, though, that you'll just find people on the internet with opinions but no data to support their opinions! :wink:

This is the only thing I could find and it DID come from Outerwears website, so take it for what it's worth....

1603346720756.png
I totally agree! Much cheaper and easier to just clean outerwears, then replacing the filter. Been using outerwears in combination with k&n filters for yrs on offroad toys and diesel truck! Getting three times the life outta the washable filters by not having debris buried in the pleats. Could you share the part # that they gave you for our cars? I'd love to get one for mine

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
Went to local dealer to visit the parts department... got a parking spot near some nice new vehicles:

2020-09-28 15.31.58.jpg

2020-09-28 15.31.09.jpg

2020-09-28 15.30.53.jpg

Shelby Truck list... $110,000.00.
(770 Hp)
I just can't see the draw to the Shelby trucks, simply awful. Hate they carry the Shelby name.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)

I have never lived in a bug infested climate, never will.
That said, we do get bugs sometimes and my solution would be to have two cleanable filters. Changing them out is pretty quick and easy. While one is drying the other is being used. You could change out daily if needed.
I immediately ordered a cleanable filter and keep the stock filter on as the cleanable one is drying.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have never lived in a bug infested climate, never will.
That said, we do get bugs sometimes and my solution would be to have two cleanable filters. Changing them out is pretty quick and easy. While one is drying the other is being used. You could change out daily if needed.
I immediately ordered a cleanable filter and keep the stock filter on as the cleanable one is drying.
That makes sense too. I'll be honest, it's whatever makes us sleep better at night. We all have different goals and not all of us mentally need to hear that we're getting every horsepower we can get. It's like saying, you fill up with 91 because you don't need the extra "10 horsepower" that 93 offers. Spin it however you want, it's whatever makes you sleep better at night.