What did you do to your GT350 today?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Take it with a grain of salt. There are no issue’s with starting your car and letting it warm up. I do it with my 350’s every single time, wether it’s in the summer or winter. My diesel trucks and equipment gets warmed up 10-15 minutes at a minimum during the winter before there moved at all. Most of my equipment has low temp sensors on it that actually helps the operator know when the operating temp is up and in an acceptable minimum. I won’t even get in to how good modern lubricants are and how well they protect internal engine components.

Thank you very much for that bit of knowledge gentlemen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Take it with a grain of salt. There are no issue’s with starting your car and letting it warm up. I do it with my 350’s every single time, wether it’s in the summer or winter. My diesel trucks and equipment gets warmed up 10-15 minutes at a minimum during the winter before there moved at all. Most of my equipment has low temp sensors on it that actually helps the operator know when the operating temp is up and in an acceptable minimum. I won’t even get in to how good modern lubricants are and how well they protect internal engine components.
I think the previous gents were talking about the (somewhat) common winter storage procedure where guys will start their engine every week or 2 for 10-15mins and shut it off. This is one of those cases where it's better to just let it sit.

When you start a cold engine, there becomes a buildup of moisture and fuel dilution. When you drive the car, this moisture and fuel will evaporate naturally. But it takes time. It's one of the reasons short trips are regarded as "rough service" and fluid changes are modified to accommodate.

Starting it in the garage for 10mins and shutting it off serves no other purpose than to add water and fuel to your engine's oil and surfaces.

Is it a major problem? That could be a debate. Sort of like oil choice and the relatively low occurrences of oil related engine failures.

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And even if we would debate the pros and cons of starting it up for only a brief time, there is one certain…there is zero harm in letting it sit.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Now we get the debate on the tires flat spotting, the suspension and seals not getting cycled, and……

And even if we would debate the pros and cons of starting it up for only a brief time, there is one certain…there is zero harm in letting it sit.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I read it a different way, but that’s ok. I think some have to much time to pontificate the aspects of a combustion engine. Rarely here will you get any condensation out of a tail pipe. I have no desire to go any where near the rabbit hole on oil brands and types.

I think the previous gents were talking about the (somewhat) common winter storage procedure where guys will start their engine every week or 2 for 10-15mins and shut it off. This is one of those cases where it's better to just let it sit.

When you start a cold engine, there becomes a buildup of moisture and fuel dilution. When you drive the car, this moisture and fuel will evaporate naturally. But it takes time. It's one of the reasons short trips are regarded as "rough service" and fluid changes are modified to accommodate.

Starting it in the garage for 10mins and shutting it off serves no other purpose than to add water and fuel to your engine's oil and surfaces.

Is it a major problem? That could be a debate. Sort of like oil choice and the relatively low occurrences of oil related engine failures.

Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
New shoes (replaced a mixed set of PS4S and Nitto NT555G2 with PSC2 all around)

ABD95FD2-ACA8-47AA-994B-1C4512E50B85.jpeg

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
Why?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Just curious...why you say that?
Pop your oil fill cap off the valve cover and look for any light brown goop - look on the underside of the oil fill cap. If you find any, then the oil has condensation in it that wasn't burned off from the oil not getting hot enough. The best thing you can do is get the oil to full operating temperature - 200F or higher. Burns off combustion condensation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Had to carefully clean 2 feet of snow off, and around my covered car. Winter time is so depressing. :frown:
I actually needed a jacket this morning.
Watching the Rams game with all the windows open in the house.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Yeah I've heard that, but I did it last winter with no issues.
It’s a longevity issue. In the long run it’s not good for your engine. Short term you probably won’t see any issues and since most won’t keep these cars realistically for more than a handful of years it probably won’t matter till the next guy (or even the guy after him).

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It’s a longevity issue. In the long run it’s not good for your engine. Short term you probably won’t see any issues and since most won’t keep these cars realistically for more than a handful of years it probably won’t matter till the next guy (or even the guy after him).
I know what you are saying, I just don't want the battery dying. I've heard horror stories about trickle chargers starting fires. Don't know how true it is, but I just don't wanna risk it.
Sponsored