What did you do to your GT350 today?

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
@BadHabit2Break Couple weird things about your post...12.8 volts is the only indication that got you suspicious? No lights or any other indications? After/during a long road trip like that, I'd think the system would have plenty of time to charge and 12.8 may not be low/bad. Just thinking out loud on that one.

Also, he said "probably" dying? As in they didn't actually test it?

Let it sit for a while and see if it's back in the 13+ range. May be a false alarm.
No lights or anything. I was watching the gauges, and it started at 13.9v and slowly fell to the 12.8v as I kept going.

SA was making a suggestion only, as it has not been looked at by the mechanic.

Car was actually sitting all night before the drive from Mobile, AL to Tallahassee, FL. The voltage just kept falling as I drove it farther.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No lights or anything. I was watching the gauges, and it started at 13.9v and slowly fell to the 12.8v as I kept going.

SA was making a suggestion only, as it has not been looked at by the mechanic.

Car was actually sitting all night before the drive from Mobile, AL to Tallahassee, FL. The voltage just kept falling as I drove it farther.
The charging system is a "smart system", much like a Battery Tender that will chop back charging voltage as the battery becomes fully charged, which could happen on a long drive.

Also, the charging voltage on the dash typically reads ~0.5 volts less than the voltage directly across the battery terminals.

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Drove my GT350 from Houston to Jacksonville, FL. Got and hour outside of Tallahassee, FL and voltage literally had fallen to 12.8v. Found a Ford Dealer in Tallahasee and pulled in. SA said that yeah, the alternator probably is dyeing. It will be a couple of weeks before they can look at it. He suggested making the trip to Jacksonville, FL (3 hours away) and go to a dealer there as they might be able to get it faster. I said no, as my luck, I would end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and waiting four hours for a tow truck. No thanks, just keep it here and fix it.

Car has 3400 miles on it.
This wonā€™t help you but....DAMN!
Dealerships in my area havenā€™t fallen into this mindset....yet. They put travelers from out of town on the priority list. I work in the service industry with the dealerships. I bust my ass to get people back on the road who are traveling. Iā€™ve done emergency work on Thanksgiving AND Christmas just to help people get back on the road.
I cannot fathom blowing off a traveler for TWO WEEKS!!!

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
The charging system is a "smart system", much like a Battery Tender that will chop back charging voltage as the battery becomes fully charged, which could happen on a long drive.

Also, the charging voltage on the dash typically reads ~0.5 volts less than the voltage directly across the battery terminals.
I had a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee that did the same thing. Alternator was replaced and the issue was resolved

I have never seen a charging system sit at 12.3v in traffic and stop lights.

I just didn't want to end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I had a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee that did the same thing. Alternator was replaced and the issue was resolved

I have never seen a charging system sit at 12.3v in traffic and stop lights.

I just didn't want to end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere
Thought you said 12.8 was the low reading. But yeah, can't hurt to have it checked out, but if the Tech thinks this charging system works like some old fashsioned system I wouldn't have much trust in their diagnosis.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Thought you said 12.8 was the low reading. But yeah, can't hurt to have it checked out, but if the Tech thinks this charging system works like some old fashsioned system I wouldn't have much trust in their diagnosis.
Best case scenario is $130 and they can't duplicate the issue.

Worst case, they replace the alternator and maybe the battery.

whitestang5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did a fluid swap on the rear axle and trans today, couple of notes
-That clip on the rear cooler hose, could use a new one every time my preference
-Rear was spot on at 1.9 mils with a bottle of friction modifier
-Drained about 60oz out of the rear
-Trans took 2.5 quarts cycle cooler and all and thatā€™s exactly what I got out

5299DBF7-34D8-476F-A74A-3250B0640ED5.jpeg

9E79A447-1788-4CF1-AFDA-0582761B4ABD.jpeg

1DAB5BDF-3C5C-4CF7-9BD1-4C67E484EE17.jpeg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys & Gals,

Our latest video on the Steeda GT350 has dropped - GT350 Mustang: X-Pipe or H-Pipe? YOU Decide!

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Did a fluid swap on the rear axle and trans today, couple of notes
-That clip on the rear cooler hose, could use a new one every time my preference
-Rear was spot on at 1.9 mils with a bottle of friction modifier
-Drained about 60oz out of the rear
-Trans took 2.5 quarts cycle cooler and all and thatā€™s exactly what I got out

5299DBF7-34D8-476F-A74A-3250B0640ED5.jpeg

9E79A447-1788-4CF1-AFDA-0582761B4ABD.jpeg

1DAB5BDF-3C5C-4CF7-9BD1-4C67E484EE17.jpeg
Nice work.
Any reason in particular to address these fluids

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Update:. Dealership called this morning. Alternator is going out and needs to be replaced. Issue now is that they say the part is on back order except one in Texas. They are going to get it and install it. Shipping will take 4 days.

Alternator $800
Shipping $65 expedited
Labor $350
Diag fee $150

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Update:. Dealership called this morning. Alternator is going out and needs to be replaced. Issue now is that they say the part is on back order except one in Texas. They are going to get it and install it. Shipping will take 4 days.

Alternator $800
Shipping $65 expedited
Labor $350
Diag fee $150
The Diag fee should be waived. The reason for it, I was told, is that people bring a vehicle in to get diagnosed then take it to their low dollar shade tree mechanic or fix the issue themselves with autozone parts. My dealership has always waived it if I elected to have them fix the problem.

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Alternator $800
Shipping $65 expedited
Labor $350
Diag fee $150
Alternator replacement is covered under Basic, Extra and Premium Ford ESP's if you happen to have one and fall into any of those categories.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Alternator $800
Shipping $65 expedited
Labor $350
Diag fee $150
You're getting wrecked on the alternator price. For that cost, I'd install myself unless it's being done under warranty:

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-alternator-gr3z10346l?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9YWx0ZXJuYXRvciZsPTMmbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2UmYT1mb3JkJm89bXVzdGFuZyZ5PTIwMTcmdD1zaGVsYnktZ3QzNTAmZT01LTJsLXY4LWdhcw==

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You're getting wrecked on the alternator price. For that cost, I'd install myself unless it's being done under warranty: ....
He could always buy the alternator and bring it to them. Wouldn't be any different than buying his own oil and having them do the job. Just a longer downtime. May be worth considering....

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
No tools to do the repair.
No extended warranty as I did not qualify for the ESP per Ford's site.

If I was home, I could do everything myself....joys of road trip traveling.

I will ask if they can wave the diag fee as they are doing the repair.
Sponsored