Sponsored

What did you do to your Aussie S550 today..

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@TeeCee hey Tony IMHO it's probably worth doing dampers while you're at it particularly since the front struts need to come out to do the springs. Unless you're doing it yourself it's not a cheap job.

Beyond what you've bought already you might want to consider at least doing the rear dampers, they're pretty hopeless in rebound and it'll be worse with uprated springs. Other things I found good are the RLCA (Nolathane or Spherical), a rear cradle lock (BMR CB005 or Steeda Stop the Hop kit ), Steeda locating dowelsand Rear Upper Shock Mounts (BMR, Steeda or other).

(Unashamed plug: I have a set of Steeda RLCA bearings that I swapped for Nolathane units to see if there was a difference. There wasn't so I'm not putting them in again)
Sponsored

Last edited:

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
^^^^ This ^^^^
@TeeCee I just had the rear end out and the "fun" of getting the cradle allgned after putting in the alignment inserts and lockouts, I'd not want to undo it again. Not that I need to now. You don't need to it this way either depending on what you changing. As discussed, besides the rear shocks there are two other fairly inexpensive items worth changing in the rear that will help too. The LCA bearings and the Toe bearings. LCA bearing can be BMR (various)/Steeda/Nolathane (least expensive and works fine) and the Ford Performance M-5A460-M, Bearing, Knuckle to Toe Link.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5A460-M
This last part was one of the first parts FP made for the S550, and is included in many of their kits.

Unless you have access to a 20 ton press (14 ish Ton needed for LCA from some videos I''ve seen and Toe bearing a lot less) doing these at home is likely not possible.

I you like I can PM you with all of my research links and youtube links for S550 suspension and parts fitting (various vendors). There are some enlightening videos, and one in particular that I think cuts through a lot of the hype.

Like anything with an S550, there are a LOT of options and you can get carried away, (guilty) but you don't need too in order to make a decent difference.

TeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks KermiStang - So far I have purchased:
  • Ford Performance 2015-2022 Mustang Street Lowering Spring Kit - M-5300-XA
  • Ford Performance 2015-2022 Mustang Track Sway Bar Kit - M-5490-G
  • Ford Performance 2015-2022 Mustang Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing Assembly - M-5A460-M
  • 385mm Coil Spring Compressor Kit
  • ToolPRO Ball Joint Separator (For Toe Link Bearing R&R)

Looks like a BUSY weekend ahead!

TeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
@TeeCee hey Tony IMHO it's probably worth doing dampers while you're at it particularly since the front struts need to come out to do the springs. Unless you're doing it yourself it's not a cheap job.

Beyond what you've bought already you might want to consider at least doing the rear dampers, they're pretty hopeless in rebound and it'll be worse with uprated springs. Other things I found good are the RLCA (Nolathane or Spherical), a rear cradle lock (BMR CB005 or Steeda Stop the Hop kit ), Steeda locating dowelsand Rear Upper Shock Mounts (BMR, Steeda or other).

(Unashamed plug: I have a set of Steeda RLCA bearings that I swapped for Nolathane units to see if there was a difference. There wasn't so I'm not putting them in again)
GT550 - Looks like ground clearance is going to be an issue with the FP lowering springs - I currently have 101mm ground clearance from the front of the Borla 3 inch Resonator - Lowering it by 1 inch (25.4mm) is going to put it below the 100mm legal clearance - Makes you wonder how the Shelby GT350's go with lowering springs considering the below:
“One of the Mustang’s only drawbacks is its ground clearance. The average ground clearance for the Mustang is 5.3 inches.(134.62mm) The Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 has an even lower ground clearance. It’s only 4 inches (101.6mm) in the center of the car, and 4.5 inches (114.3mm) in the front of the car.

A lot of Mustang owners consider a rolled curb the bane of their existence.”

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Finally got to stretch the Mustangs legs and spend a fantastic day in Victor Harbor with my daughter. The brown Mustang looks splendid in the sun 🤣 @DFB5.0 turn away for its dirty state is too much to bear..... It pains me too

My excuse....we have been six months into renovations and for the past month evey available under cover carparking is full to the brim with house shit......hopefully soon the Stang will get clean and sleep well again out of the weather 🤣👍
20220721_141802.jpg

20220721_141823.jpg

Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Finally got to stretch the Mustangs legs and spend a fantastic day in Victor Harbor with my daughter. The brown Mustang looks splendid in the sun 🤣 @DFB5.0 turn away for its dirty state is too much to bear..... It pains me too

My excuse....we have been six months into renovations and for the past month evey available under cover carparking is full to the brim with house shit......hopefully soon the Stang will get clean and sleep well again out of the weather 🤣👍
20220721_141802.jpg

20220721_141823.jpg
So long as you understand that all that dirt reduces the top speed significantly due to increased wind resistance..😂😂

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Ha ha ha yes something like this out front and car in shed 🤣🤣🤣. I like your thinking 👍
Screenshot_20220722-201130_Google.jpg

TeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ford Performance 'Track Sway Bar' kit arrived today - That Front bar at 37mm is Huge! - Also received the Ford Performance M-5A460-M Knuckle to Toes Link Bearing Assembly (Thanks for the recommendation GT550) - Can these be installed 'at home' with a standard ball joint separator?

Bars.jpg

Bushes.jpg

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I had to look this up, the last time I washed the Mustang was 70 days ago. Various things, both inside and outside of the garage have had my attention during that time. Now that I have cleared a backlog of customer cars and garage improvements, I wanted to spend some time on my favorite car to detail.

Lashings of the delicious Koch Chemie GSF spiked the air with its delightful scent.

IMG-4453.jpg

This car has a base layer of Gyeon Q2 Wax, topped with NV Nova Jet. It felt appropriate to give the new Boost v2 and whirl on the Mustang's paint, door jambs and wheels.

IMG-4456.jpg

It's certainly a great product, perhaps not as easy to use as Megs HCD or OG Drying Aid, but I like it a lot.

Meanwhile, the trailing continues on finding a tire dressing to suit these PS4S's. Last time it was NV Onyx, today it was Koch Chemie PSS.

IMG-4469.jpg

IMG-4470.jpg

I think Perl is still the winner with these tyres, although I love how PSS lays down.

I also took delivery of two new buckets and gamma seals today. I remember reading a post on Autogeek by Mike Phillips stating you should always have a "clean dirty bucket". Now that might sound a bit strange, however the concept being you should have a clean bucket to place your used or dirty towels in as you work around the car. In other words, a laundry basket.

Me being me, I went with a large black 20lt bucket fitted with a red gamma seal lid and rolling on my old bucket dolly............... with some Ford branding, naturally. :D

IMG-4458.jpg

IMG-4461.jpg

I also added a smaller 15lt bucket into the mix to house all the clean towels I will use on a detail.

IMG-4465.jpg

IMG-4467.jpg

Was so nice to work on the Mustang in the sunshine today, was like catching up with an old friend.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a small rhino tub ('obviously' in lime green lol) that acts as my laundry basket :

1660031053964.png

I just keep it in the corner of the garage and throw my used cloths / pads / applicators in it - when it's about half full I take it in the house and put a wash on :like:

I also have a larger pink one that I will use for clean stuff when I am working around the car - I put the buffer in it too so nothing gets contaminated (including my hands) from placing it on / picking it up of the floor :like:

WD :like:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Ford Performance 'Track Sway Bar' kit arrived today - That Front bar at 37mm is Huge! - Also received the Ford Performance M-5A460-M Knuckle to Toes Link Bearing Assembly (Thanks for the recommendation GT550) - Can these be installed 'at home' with a standard ball joint separator?

Bars.jpg

Bushes.jpg
Just saw this, they're a press-in part

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
when it's about half full I take it in the house and put a wash on
Interesting. I once read that towels should be washed as soon as possible after using them in order to preserve their effectiveness/performance rather then letting any product 'set'. I find it a pain to wash them after doing only one car using say 4 towels and an applicator but I can see their point.

(What's that noise? I hear the unmistakable sound of @DFB5.0 circling :giggle:. Well...hopefully anyway.)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I once read that towels should be washed as soon as possible after using them in order to preserve their effectiveness/performance rather then letting any product 'set'. I find it a pain to wash them after doing only one car using say 4 towels and an applicator but I can see their point.

(What's that noise? I hear the unmistakable sound of @DFB5.0 circling :giggle:. Well...hopefully anyway.)
Yeah that's interesting, I hadn't considered that.

My experience is mostly with traditional waxes and polishes, more recently consumer type hybrid ceramics.

I heard that proper ceramics go one step further and render cloths single usage ... 😲

WD :like:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@WD Pro (sorry Quote button not working again) I think the hybrid ceramic or quick detailer type was what they were mostly referring to given the longevity of the product and the towel being fibres into which it can soak etc.

Proper ceramic application with a towel :shock::crackup: not to mention texture in the finish
Sponsored