Sponsored

What did you do to your Aussie S550 today..

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Installed these…More story after beer.

Straight up, I have no affiliation with any companies and use products from both of them. "I" see that some like items may be more to my liking/build design/quality than the equivalent from the other company, while additionally some parts from one or another will not fit (clearance issues) with other aftermarket components.

So what you are looking at here first is a new pair of Steeda Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links - Polyurethane Bushings (2015-2021) Part Number: 555 4129

Then a few direct comparison pictures from all angles to the BMR-TCA047 VERTICAL LINK RR LCA DELRIN

(I did not weigh them, but is "feels" the Steeda ones may be a bit heavier.)

Then fitted pics, with a hint to help, and its NOT a pry bar as in a popular fitting video, but works a lot better/easier "I" found.

I put the full Delrin VL's on just over a year ago and performance/wheel hop was improved (more parts to assist in later posts) but OMG the sound was like was like the Titanic hitting an iceberg. Loud tearing metal/squeaking noises on every bump, even small ones.

The original VL's did not come with any grease nor instructions for it. As an early adopter I was also not aware of potentially some of the NVH Delrin parts can cause. (Then after buying and fitting I saw some videos and posts start to appear of the same noises I was hearing. Subsequently they now say to use some suspension grease, but now also recommend to use Delrin/Delrin VL's for drag cars vs everyday/occasional track day cars. The full Delrin bearing just has ZERO give so other components take some of the loads. For full track cars go the full spherical bearing versions with Delrin bushings. These do give at some angles unlike the full Delrin/Delrin only versions, so are better for cornering race type setups.

For more "compliant" street cars, the Polyurethane versions are fine and still a massive improvement on the OEM rubber versions.

Recommended by all suspension manufacturers is that one new (better) part may make a difference, but may also cause premature wear on other rubber OEM components. Look at doing a few of the main ones at the same time with new poly' or other bushings, but check and confirm which parts may or may not add to NVH, and not just with the manufacturers, but research Mustang groups too for some independent advice.

NOT a suspension guru, but its not rocket science either. It just makes sense.

Oh, and then went for a drive for over an hour. Smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse, except for that beautiful engine and exhaust 🥰

6D744598-64DC-4609-8D08-EAEF3ACB90B0.jpeg

9501C7CD-1D81-4E59-9DD0-C6C5B966D509.jpeg

01491078-B669-4870-96C1-2E0D7FD7515F.jpeg

B4556CE0-5104-4026-9E63-CEB2F594CBF2.jpeg

EC5F40BC-171B-4AA7-A76C-C4B02CED2A08.jpeg

C766F105-1250-4CA1-A53B-BEC103DDE90E.jpeg

B506B814-C7EE-4036-8E16-ECCEC552F16D.jpeg

70CAE335-FE1F-4B6A-BA70-FE430AFE9C99.jpeg

B1051DD1-3416-49FD-99B6-9958A76A343A.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Straight up, I have no affiliation with any companies and use products from both of them. "I" see that some like items may be more to my liking/build design/quality than the equivalent from the other company, while additionally some parts from one or another will not fit (clearance issues) with other aftermarket components.

So what you are looking at here first is a new pair of Steeda Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links - Polyurethane Bushings (2015-2021) Part Number: 555 4129

Then a few direct comparison pictures from all angles to the BMR-TCA047 VERTICAL LINK RR LCA DELRIN

Then fitted pics, with a hint to help, and its NOT a pry bar as in a popular fitting video, but works a lot better/easier "I" found.

I put the full Delrin VL's on just over a year ago and performance/wheel hop was improved (more parts to assist in later posts) but OMG the sound was like was like the Titanic hitting an iceberg. Loud tearing metal/squeaking noises on every bump, even small ones.

The original VL's did not come with any grease nor instructions for it. As an early adopter I was also not aware of potentially some of the NVH Delrin parts can cause. (Then after buying and fitting I saw some videos and posts start to appear of the same noises I was hearing. Subsequently they now say to use some suspension grease, but now also recommend to use Delrin/Delrin VL's for drag cars vs everyday/occasional track day cars. The full Delrin bearing just has ZERO give so other components take some of the loads. For full track cars go the full spherical bearing versions with Delrin bushings. These do give at some angles unlike the full Delrin/Delrin only versions, so are better for cornering race type setups.

For more "compliant" street cars, the Polyurethane versions are fine and still a massive improvement on the OEM rubber versions.

Recommended by all suspension manufacturers is that one new (better) part may make a difference, but may also cause premature wear on other rubber OEM components. Look at doing a few of the main ones at the same time with new poly' or other bushings, but check and confirm which parts may or may not add to NVH, and not just with the manufacturers, but research Mustang groups too for some independent advice.

Oh, and then went for a drive for over an hour. Smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse, except for that beautiful engine and exhaust 🥰

So to sum up, confirming the Steeda links are quiet & smooth, no increase in NVH and you are happy?

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
@Bulutt
"So to sum up, confirming the Steeda links are quiet & smooth, no increase in NVH and you are happy?"

Yes. (Caveat the Polyurethane ones. From what I read i believe both companies make poly, and all Delrin, and one also makes the previous as well as Delrin & spherical, and spherical-spherical)

I did a 1.5 hr drive the other day and all was fine. I have a long drive setup for Monday with some hills driving and throw in some quick start/stop stuff.

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
@Bulutt
"So to sum up, confirming the Steeda links are quiet & smooth, no increase in NVH and you are happy?"

Yes. (Caveat the Polyurethane ones. From what I read i believe both companies make poly, and all Delrin, and one also makes the previous as well as Delrin & spherical, and spherical-spherical)

I did a 1.5 hr drive the other day and all was fine. I have a long drive setup for Monday with some hills driving and throw in some quick start/stop stuff.
So is it all in the bushes that these get their performance characteristics. There is nothing structurally different about the link itself?

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
So is it all in the bushes that these get their performance characteristics. There is nothing structurally different about the link itself?
The bushes make the big difference but let me get the pic of an OEM one, and you’ll see the difference. Just thin pressed steel. The BMR and Steeda versions are both a lot stronger and have no flex in their individual alloy designs.

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible

Nice looking kit.
It just a thought but with that top eye/bush in shear you should surely use a washer larger than the size of the bush to prevent it popping off if it should fail? Same principal as using safety retaining washers on rod ends and spherical bearing on a race car, there is a good explanation on Pegasus here - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00014

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@TasGT good observation, some of the pics on the web appear to show such a washer. Maybe they're working on the basis that the bottom one is semi captive in the lower arm and the minimal angle of deflection with a non spherical will stop the top bushing walking out completely? Not sure if that would work with a spherical but if it's a race car then more frequent inspections are possibly intended as mitigation.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
I have fitted the full Steeda stop the hop kit with LCA bearings and front control arm bearing. sub frame brace and K frame, strut tower braces. I've used Pedders coil over kit and sway bars and the part that made NVH was the diff insert bushes. Only notice it when driving slow so doesnt worry me. The difference this has made to the car is amazing she handles so good I really like getting around the hills. The traction and drive I get and the grip and feedback in corners is great. It's a different car. Highly recommend.
Sponsored