Sponsored

What did you do to your Aussie S550 today..

ian b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
GT Manual Deep Impact Blue
Thanks Wolfgang!....appreciate the feedback !!( usually hard to generate any sort of response ( - or + )

on this " Aussie" forum !!
better responses and discussion on the S550 facebook groups and certain derivative groups
Sponsored

s550mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT MY17
Did a wheel deep clean today and found how little care Ford take when preparing our cars. On collection of the car 2 years ago I had chip on the rim so Bayford replaced it...great but they fit a rim from a mustang fresh off the boat that was covered in under seal. They detailed it but they didn't even bother to clean the inside of the rim.

Anyone else has this problem?

0AC8B703-B524-4DA4-8623-637EC967CDC5.jpeg
3091192F-E92B-42DF-ABDB-14E87973C357.jpeg
538B665C-7214-4592-BD72-E64CEA7DB033.jpeg
ADA6C402-62AC-42AF-B317-99D5B888B12C.jpeg
6CB6B68B-89E1-4580-9ABD-CAD1D414E470.jpeg
88D065EE-3405-4FB1-9D44-BE0D76B43EAC.jpeg
93E35C4B-9463-4C7A-9071-B0C4D1D0E5C3.jpeg

LowKey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 2019 Mustang GT - 2013 XR6 Turbo - 2017 i30 SR-P.
Without going back through the whole thread, does anyone have pics of side scoops they've added? Toying with a few different options at the moment.

Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Applied Ceramic coating. Done the interior also. Not the best pics.
20190701_160716.jpg
20190701_160730.jpg
Harry @TehEno, could I please ask what ceramic coating you use?

Does it resist the car getting dirty to some extent?

Make washing easier?

Any other benefits?

Thanks in advance.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@Friend of Dorothy Hey Chris, if it helps I had mine done with Crystal Serum and also had Suntek clear film applied to areas that typically get hammered (whole front bar and lights, leading edge of bonnet and roof, doors and door cups, mirror housing, wheel arches etc). It was done by OzzyCozzi in Sydney (they're the Australian agents) but no doubt they'd supply to Melbourne. IIRC it was about 2.5k but I'd do it again every time and would definitely do both, 3 years and 21k km and not a stone chip in sight on that licorice soft paint. Did I mention I hate stone chips? Getting them removed is well upwards of 2k and only lasts as long as it takes the next stone to set a heading for your car.

Ceramic doesn't resist dirt and alone is susceptible to stone chips, but it makes the car very easy to clean as dirt doesn't adhere and also the shine is stupidly persistent. Bowdens has a new detailing product - sorry name escapes me - designed to work with increasingly popular ceramic coated cars and essentially after the first application it's wash, dry, drive and reapply in 12 months. Some folks seem to think the ceramic itself wears off over time but that's not my experience, if it does then I'd say intuitively it's not very good.

The only criticism of the clear film I've heard is that sometimes you can see the edge of a sheet if not doing the whole panel - say the front half of the bonnet if you're looking from the back half forward - and having whole panels or indeed the whole car done can get pricey. Sometimes I detect it on my black car but mostly not so for me it's not an issue.

My humble advice is to keep it in the garage, do some research, and then proceed immediately to your chosen detailer. There are stones watching...:devil:

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @GT 550, I am always open to opinions of others. There seems to be a couple of mobile services that use Crystal Serum, at a quick investigation so far.

I used Polish Angel High Gloss on my previous Grabber Blue Mustang, and mostly used a waterless wash to keep it clean (it was not a daily driver). I only ever washed it three or four times at most, mainly because I never drove it on a wet road and only drove 20,000kms. It scored one small stone chip worth mentioning, despite many country/highway miles.

With this new car I aim to be not quite as precious (time will tell), so it might actually get properly dirty. However, if I only keep it for three to four years, like the old one, I don't want to overcapitalise it.

If I had a black car like you, I would spend up big. I once read that 'black is not a colour, it is a full-time job' :-)

Thanks again for your response.

Reactions: PKs

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
@Friend of Dorothy Hey Chris, if it helps I had mine done with Crystal Serum and also had Suntek clear film applied to areas that typically get hammered (whole front bar and lights, leading edge of bonnet and roof, doors and door cups, mirror housing, wheel arches etc). It was done by OzzyCozzi in Sydney (they're the Australian agents) but no doubt they'd supply to Melbourne. IIRC it was about 2.5k but I'd do it again every time and would definitely do both, 3 years and 21k km and not a stone chip in sight on that licorice soft paint. Did I mention I hate stone chips? Getting them removed is well upwards of 2k and only lasts as long as it takes the next stone to set a heading for your car.

Ceramic doesn't resist dirt and alone is susceptible to stone chips, but it makes the car very easy to clean as dirt doesn't adhere and also the shine is stupidly persistent. Bowdens has a new detailing product - sorry name escapes me - designed to work with increasingly popular ceramic coated cars and essentially after the first application it's wash, dry, drive and reapply in 12 months. Some folks seem to think the ceramic itself wears off over time but that's not my experience, if it does then I'd say intuitively it's not very good.

The only criticism of the clear film I've heard is that sometimes you can see the edge of a sheet if not doing the whole panel - say the front half of the bonnet if you're looking from the back half forward - and having whole panels or indeed the whole car done can get pricey. Sometimes I detect it on my black car but mostly not so for me it's not an issue.

My humble advice is to keep it in the garage, do some research, and then proceed immediately to your chosen detailer. There are stones watching...:devil:
Bowdens have produced two products - 'wet dreams' (which is in the spray bottle) and 'happy endings' which is designed for use through a pressure washer. I use both on my pony (and our Ranger). The mustang is more of a garage queen than the Ranger, but I can tell you that the finish is very (very) good on both and pretty durable. Clearly still need to wash the car but makes life much easier. On balance I'm probably more a fan of the pressure washer application. The wet dreams product is especially good for rims - I was a bit skeptical - but on my black rims the effect is amazing/glass like.

Mothers have done a product 'CMX' which I bought on special at Bathurst this year as a trial and that also works very well - but I'd prefer to buy Australian. :like:

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Emptied the oil catch can ( less than quarter full after 6 months) and cleaned the plastic trim and rubber hoses/seals in the engine bay. Bowdens product used - 'sublime clean' and 'Vinyl revival'.

Sponsored

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual

I agree S550 i did the same to my Orange Fury with suntek in all the same places and think its well worth the expense, i also try and use Bowdens products for most of my cleaning needs as they are excellent.
GT450

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
The garden is as well kept as your car @DFB5.0

BTW, can I have my Twister Orange gloves back; you should get some Race Red ones of your own anyway...ha ha.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I finished fitting the Steeda Stage 2 Handling Package this week. It consists of a strut tower brace, K member brace, rear subframe alignment sleeves and rear subframe bushing supports. These were all mostly a pain to fit for various reasons but supposedly should tighten things up. After finishing these I took it to a local shop for its first wheel alignment ( I haven't even done 10,000 klms yet) . Took them close to 3 hours to complete due to the nature of the rear wheel adjustments (so they said). On my drive home the difference in steering response was immediately noticeable. I am looking forward to a lengthier drive on the long weekend.
IMG_20200124_141600.jpg
Stage 2 Handling Package.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Nice work Peter. 3 hours does seem excessive, mine took about 1.5 and no complaints. Make sure you take it back to confirm the settings after you've done a few km on the new set up.
Sponsored