What cars did you try before the S550?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I like the Challenger, but it's a Chrysler and all Chryslers are pieces of shit.

Camaro still has visibility issues I don't like. Some get around it, but I like to see out of my car.

Couldn't fit in a Focus RS so that eliminated that car right off the bat. Glad I didn't fit with the head gasket issues going on.

BMW's, not a chance after knowing several BMW owners and a few master techs saying to stay away. Oil leak issues and repairs that will make you go broke. No thanks.

Mustang fit the bill with legroom for me since I'm 6'6". It was comfortable, sounded great, looked great, and rode great.
Sponsored

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Was dead set on a 2SS Camaro, hated the visibility and price. Friend got a Ruby Red PP and let me try it out, immediately changed my mind

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Driving a tuned 2016 Miata, makes 174 at the wheel, like it a lot but wanted something bigger, more practical as a daily. So at the beginning of this past summer, I tested a base 370z, hated the clutch a lot, it felt like 90% of the travel has no feel at all, and then boom engaged in a split second, killed the engine three times and I've been driving a manual for 6 years now. Then tried a 370z nismo, which is a lot better, still don't quite like the clutch but at least I can feel it engage and not kill the engine. Also tried to test drive a WRX or a STI, but the dealer don't have either, saying they just sold the last WRX and the new 18's hasn't came in yet, so I went to a ford dealership right after and tested a 17 GT Premium, and was sold on that. Did my research and ordered my 18.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I've always had a Mustang, so there wasn't much of a decision to make.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I considered the following but unfortunately I didn't test drive them all.

Test drove:
1) Mustang GT PP - everything was great except the lack of utility
2) Dodge Challenger - better looking than the charger but it was heavier compared to the mustang. Coupe for coupe, mustang was better.
3) Dodge Charger - Nothing wrong with this car in my opinion except the entire dash could use better materials.
4) Camaro SS 1LE - nicer interior than the stang and definitely better handling compared to a PP. visibility was an issue. chevy didn't have enough incentives for me to pay more for it.

I should've test drove:
1) Golf R - I'm a vw enthusiast and I can't believe I didn't give this car a shot. One reason I'm grateful I didn't is because in 2003 I would've bought a stang and instead I picked a VW GTI VR6. I believe history could've repeated itself.

2) 2005 or newer Porsche 911 - This would've been my ultimate ride.

As you can see, the stang was the benchmark. I could probably go with a longer list but these were the important ones.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I have never owned a Ford or Mustang (unless I was buying it to fix / turn around and sell it) before my '17. Had a '11 Accord Coupe (3.5 V6 and 6 speed manual - 278HP bone stock- it was NOT stock when some idiot made a left in front of me and they totaled it).

Have several guys I know into Mustangs. One of 'em pestered me to drive a '15 and up with the IRS. I had driven a '14 GT and was not impressed. He even found a local dealer near my office that had a 6 speed '15 EB. Drove it...couldn't believe it was a Mustang. Hair dried 4 cylinders aren't my preference, did some research, got a smoking deal on a new '17 3.7 / 6 speed. Comparable deal on a new '17 GT 6 speed base was almost $8K more than I paid. Couldn't justify that and I like working on my stuff. The Coyote is fast enough that I'd be modifying, going fast enough to break stuff - then looking for a DD that wasn't constantly apart. (been there done that).

The '11 Accord won out (it was a random test drive) after looking at the following:

- Camaro - as a GM fan, I couldn't believe how bad this car sucked to drive. I felt like I was in a coffin.
- Challenger - felt porky, interior meh, too many friends having issues with Chrysler and used 6 speeds that weren't ragged out were Unicorns around here
- 370Z - Felt way too cheap inside and power wise for what they were selling for. Felt smaller inside than it is on the outside
- BRZ / FRS - Drove one with probably every TRD part on it (dealership employee) and I loved it - except it's a 100 HP short of being enough...and a tick too small for a DD for me at 6'3"
- Focus ST - Actually had a blast driving one for a week (friend). But it was simply a bit too cramped for me....and that's saying a lot, not a big turbo small displacement fan.

If I had time to build a DD? It would have been a BRZ / FRS with a mild LS / T56 swap or a 240/260z from out West with same.

I'm constantly amazed how enjoyable the '17 is to drive. Even with the lowly 3.7 (3.55 gears and MPT Tune surely helped this part). I don't have to fight it on the Interstate, the seats are actually comfortable, just take a minute to get settled - then I'm good.

The '17 will be my daily and I'll beat on it at the track as time permits. Hoping to start my '67 Chevelle build in the next few years (my first car was a '67 SS Chevelle). Just want to find a clean West Coast car, Malibu etc is fine. Modern updates on suspension / brakes / chassis and a simple LS / T56 swap and drive it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For me, while I've always been a mustang fan I like performance cars in general so I tried a long range before I settled back on a Mustang.

What did you guys all try first?
I didn't try all of these before the GT350. Some I've test driven since I've had the Mustang.
2015 Mustang GT - great car - I preferred the MT-82 to the GT350 Tremec box. I like the GT350 engine and suspension much better though. The GT was a little soft and body motions weren't well controlled.

Camaro SS and 1LE 2014 models - seemed cheap and the 1LE didn't seem special to me. I did like the active exhaust a lot, but the engine's power delivery wasn't for me. Not as exciting as the Ford engines.

Camaro 2SS 2016 model - I like the car. It gave me a little claustrophobic feeling like being in a bunker. It didn't make me want to trade the GT350 though.

Dodge Challenger - smooth ride and big, solid feeling car. Good power. This would be a great highway cruiser if I weren't looking for a car that can carve the corners.

Porsche 911 - great quality, I loved the skinny doors reminiscent of an old VW but with very solid feel. Terrific seating position and the transmission shift feel was amazing. Under powered, expensive, not exciting to drive, quiet like a library inside. I could afford a model older than 2010 or so and the electronics are very outdated as well. I really want a Porsche, but I want it to have at least 500 HP. I probably will never be able to afford a 911 that has enough power that I will find it fun to drive. They are way too hooked up for me. I like a car to have enough power to get squirrelly at times.

BMW M4 - good power and handling, excellent manual transmissions with good feel. Nice looking interior but cheap feeling buttons. Engine sounds like crap. Less overtly sporty than the GT350, which could be a positive for some people. I could have ordered an M2 from the local dealer, but based on the M4 I didn't. If BMW had a V8 I would consider.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I had been kicking the tires, a bit of window shopping, a couple of BMW M Series and a couple Audi S / RS' that were amazing, but expensive! Sat in a Camaro thinking all the talk about difficulty seeing out of them was over-hyped... it was true, visibility sucked and I didn't really like dash. Walked around a Challenger Helcat (as a former die-hard Dodge truck guy)... it was nice...

Then my wife ended the argument by buying me a '17 Mustang PP (Premium) for my birthday.. made the choice easy :)

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
I traded in a '17 WRX for my GT. The WRX, in stock form, is a complete pile of shit.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I normally prefer smaller cars so I drove the BRZ, Focus ST, and the new Miata. I like the new Miata but I don't care for that fact that it lost some of it's high revving nature and I really don't like any of their colors. Since I've always loved Mustangs and I've had a Miata for a while I decided to go with something different this time. You never know how many more cars you'll get to enjoy.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
None. Honestly, if I wasn't a Mustang fan I wouldn't have even gotten a 2 door sports car. Would have been a Jeep (I am really liking the new JL Wranglers but knowing FCA they will be pieces of shit) or a tasteful sedan or something.
Same here.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I totally should have checked out some other vehicles before buying the 550.

I was really actually very content not having a payment , loved driving my restored f250 as a daily driver.

I'd never seen one of these though. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Asked em about payments was shocked to learn I could get the payment down to 400, it's only later in life I got my chit straight with credit.

Came back the next day, drove it and took it home. Could not , not have it.

My poor f250 hasn't been driven since, nor has my blackbird.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
GT350. Two problems though. First every dealer in the greater Sacramento and surrounding area at the time had super crazy stupid ADM's. Secondly, instead of waiting it out and looking across state lines I got a great deal on my trade in (2012 Ford Focus) and took my 2015 GT/PP off the lot at an incredible deal.

Hind sight being 20/20 I guess I should have done my homework a bit more and bought the GT350. But ignorance is bliss and I got lucky with the car I have since it has pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Didn't even know it was a GT/PP until I drove it the next day. Go figure. I'm such a dork. But the car is happy, I'm happy, and it sure is hella fun to drive.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
GT350. Two problems though. First every dealer in the greater Sacramento and surrounding area at the time had super crazy stupid ADM's. Secondly, instead of waiting it out and looking across state lines I got a great deal on my trade in (2012 Ford Focus) and took my 2015 GT/PP off the lot at an incredible deal.

Hind sight being 20/20 I guess I should have done my homework a bit more and bought the GT350. But ignorance is bliss and I got lucky with the car I have since it has pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Didn't even know it was a GT/PP until I drove it the next day. Go figure. I'm such a dork. But the car is happy, I'm happy, and it sure is hella fun to drive.
Sounds like you fell in love and it ended up being a good thing. :)

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
I have always missed my 2011 GT....so looking to get back into one.

Thinking convertible this time as I've never had one of those and the auto too.

I was hoping to track the RS and not able to...and as a daily driver it is lacking.

Test drove a 2018 GT Premium with AUTO/AE/PP and it is a blast! Need to see the 401a and magneride to see if they are worth it. Also waiting on the convertibles to hit the lots.
Sponsored