Sponsored

What cars did you try before the S550?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
For me, while I've always been a mustang fan I like performance cars in general so I tried a long range before I settled back on a Mustang.

• BRZ/86 - Not bad, if it had a bit more power, specifically torque
  • 2015 ZL1 - The visibility issues also ruled out the SS and z/28 for me, though in time I may have gotten used to them
  • Challenger Hellcat - Ruled out for Winters
  • Chevy SS - Barely quicker than my 2003 Mach1, didn't feed my speed bug. If I had a family this would have been my pick though.
  • BMW M3 - Just not a fan of BMW quality, friends brother works at a dealership, and another friend was a BMW sales man and I here horror stories, even on the M's.
  • Golf R - Most VW people I know have quality issues.
  • Focus RS - Even on Normal the ride felt super harsh. Would be fine if I was still 25.
  • Used GT-R - Felt.. dunno.. soulless? everything seemed to be "this is how you do it, now you take a turn, now you go straight. Not sure how to explain it, just lacked excitement I guess.
  • STi Launch Edition - This I really liked but in my area they are everywhere, and kind of scream "dudebro", so I wanted to not just fall in with the crowd. Plus when modded I find their sound annoying.
  • 370Z - Also a great drive, but for the price/performance it's just way out dated.

Still on the list to try:
  • Caddy CTS-V coupe

What did you guys all try first?
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
None. Honestly, if I wasn't a Mustang fan I wouldn't have even gotten a 2 door sports car. Would have been a Jeep (I am really liking the new JL Wranglers but knowing FCA they will be pieces of shit) or a tasteful sedan or something.

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
None. Honestly, if I wasn't a Mustang fan I wouldn't have even gotten a 2 door sports car. Would have been a Jeep (I am really liking the new JL Wranglers but knowing FCA they will be pieces of shit) or a tasteful sedan or something.
I'm the other way. If I wanted an SUV/Jeep type vehicle my 1st looks would be Jeep. 2nd would be the new Bronco when the comes out.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I traded a 2011 Camaro. Test drove a Scat Pack and the Mustang. Plans are to trade my Jeep Liberty for either the Bronco or the Jeep pick up in a year or so.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I was set on getting this car from the first circulated images. It's the car I've always wanted and I was finally in a place financially where I could afford to buy it, pay the insurance and mod the hell out of it with not so much as a peep from wifey.

Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at:
  • Camaro ZL1
  • BMW M4
  • Mercedes C63s
  • Lexus RCF
  • Porsche 718Boxster
But I love my 13 and I just feel like I'm not ready to go to a higher end brand just yet. Nor am I ready to leave American Muscle. My next car will be a high end brand though. Also, I did not test drive any of these cars.

Last edited:

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
2016 2SS Camaro
2016 Challenger R/T
2016 Challenger Scat pack...actually really liked this car. Interior was simple but the touch and feel of it were good. Plenty of grunt, like the styling but just didn't feel comfortable buying a chrysler product

Ended up with the Mustang due to the styling and the new 5.0. Aftermarket support is phenomenal and the engines had plenty of room to grow.

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Early May - went to Ford to see a convertible mustang - didn't have any on the lot

Week later, went on vacation to Vegas - rented a Camaro convertible. Drove it for a week or so. Meh...

Got back from vacation, got a call from the dealer that he got a convertible in from Florida.

2 days later, signed and delivered.

Prior to all of this - did a ton of research online for convertibles - priced out a few BMWs, looked at everything online. Honestly didn't care what it was, so long as it was a convertible but I'm very happy with my purchase and couldn't imagine driving something else right now.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I didn't test drive any, but these were the cars I was contemplating before ordering the GT:
Subaru BRZ (plus forced induction) - Long time Suby guy, but I would need a turbo/SC. I worry about reliability.
Toyota MR2 (1993) - This was to be my toy car, then my wife's old Bimmer was dying. I ditched the plan and bought her the Z car. I could get a mint one for a good deal, but they are miniature and have typical 24 yr old car issues.
Mercedes CLA45 AMG - Fast and comfortable, but overpriced.
BMW M2 - Fast, but not as fast as the GT if you just get the manual. Also overpriced.
Ford F150 Raptor - I could ditch my SUV and still tow. However, you can't find these for a reasonable price.
Ford Edge Sport - This SUV has balls with the ecoboost, but I later found out it couldn't tow anything real.
Nissan 370Z - I don't know why. I just like Nissan cars, and always have. It needs more power though.
Dodge Challenger Hellcat - You can seriously lease one for the same payment per month as the GT. Then you have no car at the end of the lease though.

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I didn't try anything else when shopping for my Mustang. Both times I bought mine (second time being after the first one got totaled), I found the car on the internet, called the dealership and told them they had the exact car I wanted, and said I would be in the next day to drive it and ultimately buy it if the price was right.

I guess this stems from a combination of having a sales background and a vast knowledge of cars. I knew I was buying a Mustang, and I knew exactly what I wanted as far as specs/trim. I don't need to be "sold" on a car, and I would feel rude telling a salesperson that I know more than them haha. As much as I love driving different cars, I would just be wasting people's time by going around and test-driving them for the sake of comparison.

Besides, I got a lot of test-driving shenanigans out of my system back when I was in high school. Starting when I was in 9th grade, about once a month or so my dad would take my twin brother and I to test-drive cars for the hell of it. Then, when we got got our licenses my brother and I started driving the cars as well and we called ourselves the "Test-Drive Bandits" because we never had any intentions to buy any of the cars haha. One of the more memorable drives was a Mini Clubman JCW, hilariously expensive but damn fun.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
well I havent tried out the new Mustang yet...doing that tomorrow. But:

- 370z, awesome car but like someone else said, they dont deal on them and they are pricy for an outdated platform.
- Cayman, well I liked them with the 6 cylinder, I dont like the new 4 cyclinder at all, it goes but it sounds like a raped pig to me, fantastic handling car and best of anythign I have driven.
- Camaro, cant see out of it but its a dam good deal so can I deal with the visibility issues?
- Vette, best deal out there for looks, performance and cost, just dont know if I want to be the 50+ year old driving a vette with the other geezers
- Charger Scat Pak, my brother has one, its bad ass, handles decent also, but better put power to the wheels on tight turns or youll loose that car quickly. Highway fast though. Great price for what you get.
- Toyota 86, liked it a lot, reminded me of our old 240z, underpowered though.

Pretty sure the mustang is the car but debating PP1 vs a Standard GT Premium, so thats the two cars Ill drive tomorrow. For me its never seeing the track, its DD and cars and coffee deal...yep.

Thing is for me I DD a Tundra so Ill always have that as my second set of wheels, plus its by Dirt bike transport.

Last edited:

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Jeep GC Hemi

hey I have a 2015 4x Jeep GC Hemi and have had no problems at all. This thing hauls ass and climbs great. Great SUV for $40k.

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the I4 Camaro and wanted to test the V6 but the salesman was a bit of an ass that didn't know what he was talking about and ultimately wouldn't let me drive it because he thought they were the same car...

I knew I wanted the Mustang, but wanted to give the Camaro a fair chance by at least driving one.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't really find anything on the market which was comparable to the Mustang for price per hp, and I loved the styling so yeah.

370z needed more power.
No interest in the BRZ or Miata (I've spent enough time in low-hp momentum cars for a while)
Camero had no draw for me. The exterior just wasn't calling me and the interior was styling is almost revolting to my tastes.
BMW is too overpriced for what you get and I was just coming from one.
Vette was out of my price range and too impractical as an only-car.
Sponsored