What are the track guys using for pads?

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Okay, I just talked to Cobalt Friction, as I have to order a new set of fronts, and evidently, I need to amend my recommendation. They do NOT recommend same pad front and back, for track use (autocross might be okay). Reason being, yes you maybe could get more rear brake bias, but with our street ABS systems (not the motorsport ones like the race guys run) they have seen circumstances where the rear brakes will be essentially turned off by the ABS system, too much bite in the rear confuses the system and the default is to dump the pressure to the rear calipers.

So, current best recommendation is XR2 front and XR3 rear pads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I agree. You really don't want the same compound on the rear as the front. In addition to the ABS issue, you'll want to keep in mind you probably don't have the downforce in the rear like a GT4 car, so its affects are even more pronounced. The only reason I run XR2s in the rear is because I have a fair amount of DF. If I was in a stock aero'd car running on slicks, I'd probably run XR1 front and XR3 rear.

DF makes a big difference in what rear pads you can run, IME.

When you get the combo just right, it's magical

2021-12-18_EA_COTA_RP_11137.jpg

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
OEM is a good deal for a weekend warrior that still drives their car on the street. They have great stopping power and work well up to 100TW tires.

Once on slicks, I suggest a true race pad. My preference is Cobalt Friction. They last longer than others I have tried and are impossible to overheat from what I've experience.

They're also made right here in the USA and can be at your door in3-4 days.
Was toying with the idea of separate pads for street/track. Mainly because the stock pads create a lot of brake dust. I struggle with wear mainly because I'm coming off a race car with a pad thinness of over a half an inch on each side and then I look at these and cant believe the lack of material built in. Ill get used to it but it hasn't been easy

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I used to have pads like that too. The PFC Z-54 calipers had huge thick pads. However, I don't think the Mustang and Shelby are that bad, yes, they are not as thick but their total surface area is pretty darn large so you don't really see as much decrease in pad thickness as you might expect because you have such a large face on the rotor.

Re the pad dust. I just got back from Road Atlanta today and I run race pads as mentioned above, doesn't really matter if you run Cobalt or Pagid, or probably Hawk for that matter, the amount of brake dust on the wheel and down the side of the car is massive under track conditions.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I used to have pads like that too. The PFC Z-54 calipers had huge thick pads. However, I don't think the Mustang and Shelby are that bad, yes, they are not as thick but their total surface area is pretty darn large so you don't really see as much decrease in pad thickness as you might expect because you have such a large face on the rotor.

Re the pad dust. I just got back from Road Atlanta today and I run race pads as mentioned above, doesn't really matter if you run Cobalt or Pagid, or probably Hawk for that matter, the amount of brake dust on the wheel and down the side of the car is massive under track conditions.

Thats the reason Im thinking of running a street pad with less dust. Then switching pads for track days

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Thats the reason Im thinking of running a street pad with less dust. Then switching pads for track days
That’s good idea, but there is another consideration. It might be wise to look for pads with similar friction materials to make the transfer layers as compatible as possible when you switch. That will narrow your choices but might help minimize potential wear, noise and performance issues. I think Carbotech offers a family of compounds that might fit the description.

It’s all part of the challenge of a dual purpose car. You can’t optimize for everything.

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Stock. They can outperform any street tires I've run so far. No experience with slicks.
Sponsored