Sponsored

What are the odds that Ford (or the dealer) would actually help me if I complained about a small door problem?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So I have a very #FirstWorldProblem to complain about. I received the delivery of my 2021 Mach 1 about a month ago here in Texas from Chapman Ford in PA. I love the car from head to toe so far... except for one naggy little problem. The driver's side door seems to be ever so slightly out of alignment in some way. It looks fine, but it requires just a little bit more force to close than either door on my previous 2015 did, as well as the passenger side door does.

After years of building the exact muscle memory for how to close that door, this new level of force required makes me fail to close it properly probably like 20-30% of the time that I'm not thinking about it, and it annoys me slightly more every time it happens. Yes, I could probably learn to live with it and forget about it, but I lean towards getting it fixed if possible.

To get it fixed, I'd have to depend on a local dealer that I didn't get the car from helping me out a bit, if it's even possible for this to be a warranty claim. Are they just going to tell me to kick rocks? Should I give it a try? I thought it was worth asking about experiences people may have had here before asking my dealer.
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Ask. If you don’t the answer is there will be no help.
I think if you’re polite about it they’re more likely to help, or at least give you some DIY recommendations or a referral to a body shop that does a lot of work for them. Might be 5 minutes and a ratchet for someone who does it a lot, probably free at that point.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Warranty work is not dependent on where you bought the car. So there's no reason not to go and have them look. Keep in mind that every dealer is different in how seriously they approach customer service. Heck, even different service writers within a dealership can vary greatly in how seriously they will take your complaint.
Another thing to consider is that many people will go to extremes to keep anyone, especially
a dealership, from touching their cars. Unfortunately there are crap dealers who could not care less about how they treat your car that feed into that mindset.
One more thought is to be sure the dealer you choose has an on-site body shop. I don't think I'd want a mechanic trying to adjust body panels. I'd rather have a body guy do it.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I know that warranty work isn't tied to a dealership, but I just figured I'd be at least a bit more likely to have luck getting a dealer to go to bat for me with Ford on a warranty claim for something like this if I had bought from them. It's possible it makes no difference, though, and/or any reputable dealership would still try to earn my business.

In any case, thanks for the tips guys. I'll ask tomorrow. (The other problem was their service shop was closed by the time I thought to ask about this problem tonight, heh)
Sponsored