Sponsored

What are the hidden cost of a supercharger

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
So you drop down between 5-7K on a new supercharger. Boom, you think you are ready to go and then you find out you have to shell out more money for stuff. What are the extra cost that come into play when having a supercharger?

-Tires i know would be a big one, what are some others.

Or are most happy after bolting on the beast and tuning?
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Depending on use case and staying under 700rwhp:

Half shafts
Drive shaft
Drive shaft loop
Clutch/Flywheel
Oil Pump Gears
Crankshaft Gear

And depending on how you drive a drop in fuel economy.

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think that is a good benchmark staying under 700rwhp...

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Don't forget headers. You're more than likely going to get a custom tune and no point getting a tune without headers to squeeze out that extra HP.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
That is almost a loaded question lol:

The hidden cost for a car that will be primarily a street car and never see a track, then exactly what comes out of the box is what you need. No other upgrades needed. Tuning comes supplied with most supercharger kits and that will suffice the general users.

Once you start to add drag radials or slicks, then you start to run into expenses.

Then you should be looking at clutches, half shafts and driveshafts. To start, if you start building up more power then, the list starts to grow exponentially.

Sponsored

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
That is almost a loaded question lol:

The hidden cost for a car that will be primarily a street car and never see a track, then exactly what comes out of the box is what you need. No other upgrades needed. Tuning comes supplied with most supercharger kits and that will suffice the general users.

Once you start to add drag radials or slicks, then you start to run into expenses.

Then you should be looking at clutches, half shafts and driveshafts. To start, if you start building up more power then, the list starts to grow exponentially.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah this would be a non track car. It just seems like people say the first thing you need after a supercharger is tires because of the wheel hop. Maybe not the case with a centri set up, i dunno. Figured I'd ask....didnt want to find out a lot of stock stuff wont cut it.

95cobby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Don't forget headers. You're more than likely going to get a custom tune and no point getting a tune without headers to squeeze out that extra HP.
Especially if you're having the car dyno tuned, headers should be figured into the total cost... or you suck it up and spend more money down the road.

Then like Barrel said.. you're going to want to make sure you get all that new power to the ground, safely. If the car is staying on the street then this might not be as big of a deal right away.

The only other thing I can think of is that if you want some sort of "worry" gauges. There's talk of the PP guys trying to get the EB gauge cluster to work in the GT PP but either way there's additional cost if you must have them.

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
I'd agree that out of the box stuff is all that is absolutely necessary to enjoy the car on the street. Dyno tuning is always a plus if you drive the car a lot and want perfect driveability.

The only recommendation I'd make is some sort of gauge setup. Whether you want a triple pillar cluster or just a scan gauge that pulls info from the OBDII, it's always nice to know things are working like they are supposed to behind the scenes.

Boost, oil pressure, air/fuel, fuel pressure I'd think would be the most important.

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think the only guage that doesnt come on the car is boost, but i get what you are saying

Sponsored

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah this would be a non track car. It just seems like people say the first thing you need after a supercharger is tires because of the wheel hop. Maybe not the case with a centri set up, i dunno. Figured I'd ask....didnt want to find out a lot of stock stuff wont cut it.
You definitely don't need tires for the wheel hop. I have absolutely no wheel hop on the street after I installed the blower. The car spins through where it used to wheel hop before the blower. You will need better tires if you plan on hooking at all.

5kvolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium PP GT
The pride of vette owners?

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Depending on use case and staying under 700rwhp:

Half shafts
Drive shaft
Drive shaft loop
Clutch/Flywheel
Oil Pump Gears
Crankshaft Gear

And depending on how you drive a drop in fuel economy.
Yes, the stuff listed by Barrel is what I'm adding next with the addition of a shifter and the Steeda stage 3 stuff. On the other hand, you really don't need to do anything except have fun with the car. If you're going to put some stickier tires on and go play hard you may want to invest in the driveline stuff at least.

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Now just need to decide which bank to rob haha

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
If you're buying a tuner kit:

Injectors and BAP (depends on power level), tuning, and spark plugs

If you're buying a base kit that supplies its own tuning and fuel, then really it's just spark plugs.

If you're looking to cross into the 700 mark, you'll want larger injectors, bap, tuning, and a clutch (if manual, as well as a drive shaft and half shafts).

If you want to get into the 800+ area, you should be looking into everything above for the 700 mark plus headers, running a fuel other than 93, if E85, you should be looking into a 22v bap or better a stage 1 fuel kit.
Sponsored

Last edited: