Sponsored

What are normal IAT's above ambient for the stock airbox on 2018+ GT?

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Your IATs are fine. If you aren't moving then they will get hotter. Your intake is under the hood, the vehicle isn't moving, the surrounding air under the hood is getting hotter, and the outside air is also increasing due to other cars being right there. Once you start moving again they will decrease. An increase to 110+ on an 84 degree day while idling for 10 minutes in a drive-thru isn't even worth paying attention to.
Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Can the IAT get hot enough to cause a problem? Check engine light? Funny engine behavior? Wil it just shut off?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Stop
Looking at it.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Can the IAT get hot enough to cause a problem? Check engine light? Funny engine behavior? Wil it just shut off?
Actually it will. I have been sitting just talking to a friend, in park, idling when the car turned off. Granted, it was 115*F outside and setting there for a half hour, so Intake temp was probably better than 200*F, don't think it told me and I didn't ask. I think the dash said shut off for IAT High or some shit.

I doubt seriously you are gonna Harm it unless you start changing things and not adjusting things that are connected to those things that you changed, like Jenga.

Good Luck

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If these are all normal iats with the stock box why do we debate open element intakes so much? My jlt ran as cool or cooler than the numbers in this thread.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Actually it will. I have been sitting just talking to a friend, in park, idling when the car turned off. Granted, it was 115*F outside and setting there for a half hour, so Intake temp was probably better than 200*F, don't think it told me and I didn't ask. I think the dash said shut off for IAT High or some shit.
I'm not sure what your dash noted, but if the car is idling in Park (or idling in neutral for a manual) for around 30 minutes, the Automatic Engine Shutdown system is triggered. A 30-second countdown appears on the dash. If you don't override it, the engine will shut off and tell you it did it to save fuel. Personally, I think it's to prevent people from asphyxiating themselves by leaving the car running in the garage.

You can turn the autoshutdown off through the menu system, but it only works for that run cycle. Next time you start the car, it's back on. Also, touching the brake or gas pedal at any time resets the timer to zero.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
IAT; The computer starts pulling spark at 150 degrees and increases the retard up to 250 degrees. I don't see any shut off

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
On the highway and steady cruise on 45-55 MPH roads 3-4F difference. Sitting in traffic, puttering around town, well that is anybody's guess, and it could be high! If I am sitting in traffic, drive through or whatever and hit the highway with 120F intake air within 10 mins of highway it is back at 3-4F of ambient.

'21 GT PP1

Last edited:

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT

I doubt seriously you are gonna Harm it unless you start changing things and not adjusting things that are connected to those things that you changed, like Jenga.

Good Luck
I figured it would be something like that - these new cars seem to have plenty of safeties built in
Sponsored