Sponsored

What aftermarket rear speakers for convert?

CocktailDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB Premium Vert
Hello group! I picked up a 2019 EB Premium Convertible boulevard cruiser over the holidays. Merry Christmas to me! Even though it's getting ready for a blizzard here in the Puget Sound I am loving idea of the convertible. Sure it's a garage queen now, but I can't wait for drop top fun in the Spring and Summer but first some mods.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum over the past weeks. Congrats to the helpful and knowledgeable folks on Mustang6G! I am pretty handy and have done a few car audio installs in the past but the wealth of information here makes it so much easier.

So my only complaint with the car is the 9 speaker stereo. I am fine with the sound from the front speakers but it has very weak audio from the rear speakers and zero bass. I am following the other thread about the factory subwoofer addition in the trunk. I will post in that thread my progress and questions for that mod.

As far as new rear speakers for the vert I thought I would make a new post on this. What are your thoughts and recs for aftermarket replacement speakers? Are there any fit issues with the side installation rather than on the coupe? Are the factory speakers 2 or 4 ohms? Of course I want as much drop-in as possible but I know some fitting is required. My plan is to grab the signal for an aftermarket sub amp from the rear speakers. I figured I might as well replace them while I am in there as I understand the factory rear speakers have no tweeters.

Thanks for any help!

David
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The reason the rear has no bass is probably the same reason my base model GT 6-speaker stereo has no bass from the rear. And that is because the stereo itself has the bass frequency programming clipped to the rear speakers. They do this for 2 reasons. One is it allows them to install cheaper speakers without blowing them from over powering them with too much bass, since most sound comes from the front anyway. The second, is that if you want more bass, they tell you to buy the better package that has an additional sub woofer in the trunk.

This is what I did to get more bass from my speakers.... I reprogrammed the stereo with Forscan to equalize the frequency response to all channels. The problem, is you run into the possibility of damaging the rear stock speakers when they suddenly get more bass than they are rated for.
So, I upgraded all speakers front and rear with Pioneer D-Series speakers that have a much deeper low end response down to 32Hz, which is a good 30Hz lower than most 6.5" JL Audio and Focal Speakers (which usually stop around 60Hz). The Pioneer D-series gives me more than enough bass from the factory stereo, without needing to add a sub woofer. This is of course, all personal taste. What most people don't know, is that most bass below about 40Hz cannot be audibly heard, but is instead felt by air pressure.That's why I wanted speakers that could a little below that without really needing to install a full sub woofer setup. It's just too much for my taste.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pioneer-d-series-upgrade.126069/#post-2613520

Last edited:
OP
OP

CocktailDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB Premium Vert
Hi Condor thanks for your thoughts.

I just finished reading your linked post and a couple others on the forscan changes to flatten the EQ. That sounds like a must do. I will have to educate myself on it and get the equipment. I have the EB with the fake engine noise, so if I find that tiresome after the audio upgrades I will have the ability to make that forscan change as well.

At this stage I am keeping all the other speakers stock and just get some coaxials for the rear and add the factory sub (should be here on Tuesday off eBay) with an aftermarket mono amp. I just looked at the Kicker 46CXA4001 on Amazon with a remote volume control. This way I can keep the overall bass setting in the middle to protect the stock speakers and turn up the subwoofer as required to suit the music.

I just want a little thump in the trunk and better sound from the rears. I am no audiophile and it's in a vert too. With the top down I can't hear much audio anyway. Sound reasonable?

Stay warm on the peninsula, Do you have your snow shovel ready? lol

David

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi Condor thanks for your thoughts.

I just finished reading your linked post and a couple others on the forscan changes to flatten the EQ. That sounds like a must do. I will have to educate myself on it and get the equipment. I have the EB with the fake engine noise, so if I find that tiresome after the audio upgrades I will have the ability to make that forscan change as well.

At this stage I am keeping all the other speakers stock and just get some coaxials for the rear and add the factory sub (should be here on Tuesday off eBay) with an aftermarket mono amp. I just looked at the Kicker 46CXA4001 on Amazon with a remote volume control. This way I can keep the overall bass setting in the middle to protect the stock speakers and turn up the subwoofer as required to suit the music.

I just want a little thump in the trunk and better sound from the rears. I am no audiophile and it's in a vert too. With the top down I can't hear much audio anyway. Sound reasonable?

Stay warm on the peninsula, Do you have your snow shovel ready? lol

David
Yes, definitely do the rear deck speakers. Pretty much anything, even some cheap Walmart 6.5" are better than stock speakers. As far as putting in a sub....I believe the Premiums have the wiring installed in the trunk on the right hand side to install a sub without having to do a whole lot, except running power. There's a number of threads on this. Meaning, I think the signal wires are routed to the harness located underneath the carpet by the right fender well, where there is a bracket and wiring harness that powers the rear lights, etc. I think that harness on the Premiums have the signal for the sub already wired in.

And yes, the firewood rack is loaded too. LOL
Sponsored