Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
  • Banned
I'm writing this on my iPad, so pictures will take me time to add, please be patient :D

So the general plan was:

1. Drive to London, with an overnight in Kineton, two nights in the big smoke. Kineton and London was great, spent a great night with mates then a couple of great nights with family.

2. Dover - Calais ferry on day 4. It was a shitty rainy day, freezing as well, the weather forecast for our destination was looking crap as well. Booking in at the port we were told our 1125 ferry would not sail until 1230 at least. So we parked up in our lane and headed for a coffee. At 1100 we were summoned on the tannoy, 'would the driver of LK06... please return to there car as we will be closing boarding in 5 minutes'. WTF!! What happened to 1230 sailing? We went back to the car to find it sitting in the lane, all alone, we were at the front so we must have caused a few fucks to be thrown in our direction :lol:

Ferry, overshot the port coz some DFDS twat decided he had to come out first, we were about 2hrs behind schedule now.

3. Night one, spent in an unremarkable hotel, with a weird form of catering, Internet broken but it sold Champagne by the gallon :D. Quaffed a couple of pints of Champagne and had some fois gras, the car now had lost its lustre, due to the awful rain in Engerlandshire. All in all a good night. Hearty breakfast and we were on our way, first two days were going to be MWay blasts, we had a lot of miles to cover.

4. Night two, spent in Chalon sur Soane, lovely town, great hotel, secure parking, got into the whole French thing and found myself drinking Pastis after dinner in a cafe that would not look out of place in the movie 'The French Connection', managed not to pick up a heroin habit :D. All going good so far :thumbsup:

5. Night three, La Mure, at the very start of the N85, The Route Napoleon, just south of Grenoble. Fantastic hotel, arrived in time for lunch, beautiful vista, got slightly smashed on white wine during lunch, in the now blazing lay hot French countryside. After a little nap (:D), we went to a fantastic restaurant, got talking to the 'master restauranteur', which augered well for some free food and drink, retired to our hotel, spent, but happy, the real adventure was to start in the morning...........The Route Napoleon :headbang:

6. The Route Napoleon has various guises, N85, D1085, D6085, but anything ending in 85 is the route. A bit South of Gap our next destination was Castellane, the road got better and better and better. I've done from Castellane to the coast on the N85 before and just south of there we were turning off to head to Bargemon, where our villa awaited. Stopped for a coffee in Castellane, this is the jump of for The Gorge du Verdun, the D71 is a a road that everyone should do at least once in their life, I've done it twice now :D

7. Arrived at the villa, 5 Bedroom, all ensuite with pool, a converted olive mill in the shadow of Bargemon, a lovely little hamlet in the middle of Provence. The Provence area is a delight, full of villages that are beautiful with cafes and restaurants to match the scenery. The villa, was beautiful, but the access road wasn't :tsk: My first bit of bad luck, front splitter, scored to buggery on the underside. ÂŁ197 inclusive of VAT to replace (not done it yet)

8. Anyway, were joined by my three daughters, their partners and our granddaughter, who all flew into Nice and Marseille respectfully, for the week. We had a ball, many laughs, no tears (except me re the splitter), exceptional food, fantastic wine, nice people, glorious roads resounding in a V8 roar :hail:

9. So after our fantastic week, it was time to wave goodbye to the family and the villa, mucho sadness, however the prospect of a return match with the N85 was something to look forward to.

10. Just south of Gap, we were just on the Mway, went through our first long tunnel of the return trip, windows down, drop 3 gears, boot it, heaven :cool:. Then my Mrs says, 'that thing on the bonnet is flapping about', WTF, was about to do a SteveC and lose a vent :lol: pulled in, got some 3M tape on the edges of it, but it didn't look pretty :(. Mrs harping on about 'your stupid mods', started to formulate a plan to throw her off the ferry from Calais :D

11. Stopped for the night in Grenoble, had a Steak Blue, bottle of red and a bottle of white, car looked really in a sorry state, splitter fucked, bandage on the passenger vent, French bird shit and a gazillion splattered flies all over it, I was sad :(

12. Set off for Troyes the next day (we really need more toll roads in this country), stopping at Beaune for a fabulous lunch (water and coke for me). Troyes is a great place, bonus that their was a medieval festival on. At one of the tents/stands we had this medieval beer/liquor drink, fook me baldy, I was oot ma nut after that :lol: Had a another great dinner, stayed in a great centrally located hotel with, again, secure parking.

13. It comes in threes doesn't it?!? So we had the splitter, the vent and at one of the peage's I kerbed an alloy *#%€$#%. Fuckin French bastarding adventure............

Loved every minute :D:love:

14. Ferry back the next day and eventually made London. Needed one of my halo lights re-attached as well and I was booked into Fortis for the warranty work. They also re-bonded the vent. Eventually, we were on our way back through Engerlandshire to the Bonny Banks. I spent all day today, cleaning Priscilla up but she still needs more (clay, polish and wax, but she's in an acceptable place now). New MPSS all round tomorrow.

2611 miles of sheer joy, angst, mishaps and adventure, would do it all again tomorrow. Get yer arses on a Euro trip, it's fookin' awesome :cheers:

IMG_2152_zpsmtxy8qe9.jpg

IMG_2139_zpsotalkplh.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

nixopaxo

#Team Roush
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVIE
Vehicle(s)
17gt
Sounds absolutely epic m8 ! Loved the bit about the wife moaning about the mods and formulating a plan to threw her overboard :lol: Glad you enjoyed your hols as france is awesome and that'll be me next week in the motorhome. :headbang:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Excellent George, sounds amazing :D

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Looks like an awesome trip George

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I've travelled through Saumur, beautiful town, finest white wines in all of France from the North bank, finest reds from the south, or vice versa, I was hopelessly intoxicated at the time. We were just passing through from Le Mont D'or (sp?) on our way to Normandy, now that is a region worth exploring.

You'll not be far from Le Mans, get yourself over to Le Sarth ;)

Also, get off the motorway as much as poss, rural France is epic buddy :)

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ford gave me a price of ÂŁ160 for the splitter but maybe it varies depending on what dealership you ask.

OP
OP
Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Ford gave me a price of ÂŁ160 for the splitter but maybe it varies depending on what dealership you ask.
Was that VAT inclusive?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
What a great article!!! We need more road drives like this.! Thanks

CVCashmere

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done, i think from all of that I can dictate that you love driving and getting pissed ;)!

Hoping the vent/halo are still good and the splitters sorted quickly, got to hate seeing the car wounded.

OP
OP
Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nicely done, i think from all of that I can dictate that you love driving and getting pissed ;)!
:lol: Not at the same time :D. We never moved in the morning until way after 1030 and I had my compulsory breathalyser on hand for a check ;)

These trips work, especially for the lady in your life, if you keep the daily driving down to 3-4hrs. On our way back we decided to do the return to London in 3 instead of 4 hits, takes it more out of you. France is massive, as long as it is wide but we were in the right car to do it in :thumbsup:

[MENTION=27801]nixopaxo[/MENTION], Stevie, I would have been paroled 3 times now, we 'celebrate', 35 years of married 'bliss' tomorrow :lol:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Epic adventure mate, enjoyed reading that. Sorry to hear about the stevec moment, none of us want that. All fixable though...

A euro road trip is definitely high on my wish list, who knows, maybe i'll find myself organising one for next year. :ninja: need to get some of our famous road trip stickers in other countries!

Sudaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
Definitely on the calendar for us.
Awesome trip by the sounds of it.:coolphotos: Nice one George!:headbang:

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Sounds epic mate.

Next time you are down Dover way let me know. I am not far and would be great to say hi. And have a laugh about hood vents!

Hope you didnt blame me when the Mrs started on silly mods!!
Sponsored