Sponsored

What’s needed to swap Shelby GT350R rear Brembos onto a PP S550?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So if an S550 is already equipped with the PP (GT or EB), exactly what parts are needed to swap the Shelby GT350R REAR Brembo brake calipers onto it?

Does anyone have a complete list or is there already a Kit?

Does the Brake Master Cylinder need to be changed?

Are “As Built” updates needed?
Sponsored

Oceanside_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
So if an S550 is already equipped with the PP (GT or EB), exactly what parts are needed to swap the Shelby GT350R REAR Brembo brake calipers onto it?

Does anyone have a complete list or is there already a Kit?

Does the Brake Master Cylinder need to be changed?

Are “As Built” updates needed?
Not sure about the master cylinder, but I suspect that if 3rd party vendors are selling the full kit not much. Maybe check the parts list of what comes in the 350R upgrade kit for just the rear?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did “search” and the search term used was:
GT350R Rear Brembo

And based on that all I got was a shit ton of threads for the Bullitt Brembo swap...

So any good links or what other terms might you suggest I use to narrow it down to ONLY the GT350R rear Brembos? The help would be appreciated.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
How would the bias be for that? Is the 350r 4 pot more bite than the a 6 pot pp?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
How would the bias be for that? Is the 350r 4 pot more bite than the a 6 pot pp?
Yes my first thought was $$$$$, and my second thought was it will screw up the brake balance without new master cylinders or a proportioning valve.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yes my first thought was $$$$$, and my second thought was it will screw up the brake balance without new master cylinders or a proportioning valve.
Yeah and more $$$$$ to maintain the pads/rotors of the rears than the PP fronts... Also have to find the right wheel that will fit in the rears over those. I have seen reviews of some wheels which clear front GT350R calipers but staggered rear set would not clear rear GT350R calipers probably due to ET and the concave area not liking the huge rear brake.

Best to just get the full GT350R upgrade package for a little under 4K which includes the rear shafts and all hardware, and just leave the rears alone with PP fronts. Or get some specific rears for Baer/Wilwood as long as you pair it with the front Baer/Wilwood set for better bias. Also rotors will not look very matched with PP front and GT350R rears...

If already have a regular or PP spare tire, might need to upgrade to a 350R compatible one.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good discussion.

Is the GT350R brake Master Cylinder different from the GT350 (or GT/EB PP’s)?

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Good discussion.

Is the GT350R brake Master Cylinder different from the GT350 (or GT/EB PP’s)?
I don't know if they are different. But I know the brakes are different. You can't go from 1 piston to 4 without changing the brake balance. Probably moving it to the rear, which is the worst case.

Note that brake upgrades are almost only front only or both front and rear. Both typically designed with the stock master cylinders in mind, not just throwing on the biggest parts that will fit. My understanding is the front only ones typically shift the brake balance forward, which is what you want with stronger brakes and stickier tires (both create more front weight transfer during braking).

There are calculators to show what a change in piston size and number does to the balance.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just found this vid for anyone who’s wanting to pursue the swap:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did some more searching online and found the install docs for the Ford Performance M-2300-Y GT350R front and rear brake kit.

I’m not seeing any mention of having to upgrade or replace the Master Cylinder in this document if putting this kit on anything other than a GT350R.... I also don’t see any mention of brake bias concerns.

?

Anyone have any ideas as to if brake bias would be an issue or if the MC is a concern on a GT or EB PP if upgrading to the GT350R kit?

Attachments

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Take the area of the pistons on a GT PP front and rear.

Now do the same on a gt350

Now you know your answer

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
GT350 uses the same MC as the base GT. The question should be why you want to do this. Without a corresponding increase in braking torque in the front, you may find yourself with a bit of an issue with rear bias, and your ABS programming is certainly not calibrated for the more rearward bias of the GT350. Too aggressive of rear brakes (overall) has been known to cause overall stopping ability issues.

Are you doing this for looks or for a perception of performance? Have you tried higher friction pads front and rear? I've yet to find an issue with the brakes with a real set of brake pads installed.
Sponsored