Sponsored

What’s more important, 301A or 3.55’s?

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Can you guys help me out? I’m having to decide between 2 cars and I don’t know which to go for, the 301A or the 3.55. Please help. Car will be left stock. Thanks guys
Sponsored

HeartIsBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS
301A. It’s a lot of really usable features that would be hard to put in aftermarket. Makes the interior look twice as nice, too.

3.55 gears hardly feel any different to me (I have them in my GT/CS), but even if they were a big jump from the standard GT gearing, it’s cheaper and easier to swap gears than to install a touchscreen, 9-speaker system, drive modes, My Color, and dual climate control.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Can you guys help me out? I’m having to decide between 2 cars and I don’t know which to go for, the 301A or the 3.55. Please help. Car will be left stock. Thanks guys
Depends on your preference and use....
My Mustang PP2 is a base model with PP2 option and 301A only (couldn't order PP2 without 301A). I'm not a "gadget guy" or "techie". Base model vehicle suits me just fine and is what I prefer.
I like simplicity in all things...life, relationship, food, and vehicles.
Since you're leaving the car stock, I would take the 3.55's for better acceleration.
With that said, more heavily optioned vehicles typically bring better resale value if that is a concern.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
301A. It’s a lot of really usable features that would be hard to put in aftermarket. Makes the interior look twice as nice, too.

3.55 gears hardly feel any different to me (I have them in my GT/CS), but even if they were a big jump from the standard GT gearing, it’s cheaper and easier to swap gears than to install a touchscreen, 9-speaker system, drive modes, My Color, and dual climate control.
You're spot on regarding the interior and gear swapping vs electronics swapping.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
I should be clear- it isn’t the 301A that I’m after. It’s really all about the drag mode. Drag mode or 3.55s, which is better?

I’m a simple guy too and don’t care about the other stuff the 301A comes with. I’ll be leaving the car stock and just want to have fun with it. Maybe drag strip once a year

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I should be clear- it isn’t the 301A that I’m after. It’s really all about the drag mode. Drag mode or 3.55s, which is better?

I’m a simple guy too and don’t care about the other stuff the 301A comes with. I’ll be leaving the car stock and just want to have fun with it. Maybe drag strip once a year
Can't help you with either... I've got launch control and 3.73's. Lots of fun.

Is drag mode available without 301A option?

Like Heartisblack mentioned, drive modes are typically tied in with 301A option.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Can't help you with either... I've got launch control and 3.73's. Lots of fun.

Is drag mode available without 301A option?
yes sir, I’m assuming you have a manual. These will be autos

Last edited:

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I thought swapping 3.15 for 3.5

yes sir, I’m assuming you have a manual. These will be autos
Yes, I have the manual. I believe launch control is to the manual what drag mode is for the autos.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
The new Mustang's are fun cars.
I'm sure you would enjoy either one....

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
The new Mustang's are fun cars.
I'm sure you would enjoy either one....
yeah I agree, I’m splitting hairs either way. Truly blessed to be considering any of these vehicles. I still can’t get over how darn awesome these are

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
301a. 3.55 upgrade down the line is cheaper than trying to upgrade to 301a. besides, carplay, big screen, more speakers make the experience much more modern and less rental car feeling.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
301a. 3.55 upgrade down the line is cheaper than trying to upgrade to 301a. besides, carplay, big screen, more speakers make the experience much more modern and less rental car feeling.
About how much would it cost altogether 3.55 installed?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
About how much would it cost altogether 3.55 installed?
a used 3.55 whole unit costs $250-600+ship on ebay right now. Honestly cant tell you the install time/rate of the job itself (someone suggested 3-4 hours).

As for the 301a upgrade path: sync 3 with carplay costs $700 from hellhorse BUT that doesnt include heated/cooled seats, dual zone climate, interior lighting, speakers.

OP
OP

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
a used 3.55 whole unit costs $250+ship on ebay right now. Honestly cant tell you the install time/rate of the job itself (someone suggested 3-4 hours). You're also supposed to use a whipple flare tool, or a ford performance obdii reader to adjust the ratio for proper speedo reading but apparently it may not be necessary (atleast for the gt350).

As for the 301a upgrade path: sync 3 with carplay costs $700 from hellhorse BUT that doesnt include heated/cooled seats, dual zone climate, interior lighting, speakers.
wow thanks for your help. Think the dealer could just do the gear swap? I want this thing under warranty so might have to go the dealer route. If I could get out of there paying $1500 dealer installed I would do it.

Leaning towards 301A

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I have both but if I had to choose I’d take 301a
Sponsored