Sponsored

went to the track last nignt and would like opinions!

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
OP did you pull the wheels or did you not make it back to the track?
Sponsored

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I tried to make it friday nignt but it was rained out..have to wait for another time.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am subscribing for results. Good luck OP.

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
so i went back last friday night. The track was super busy and i only made 3 passes with no luck. It was hot with DA 2000+. My 60ft was still 1.90s and my ET slowed down to 8.4-8.5. They actually prepped the track and i lowered my tires down to 25psi. I had my bro video the launch and i couldnt see any tire spin? Its pretty disappointing, but i may go back and lower the tire pressure even more just for the heck of it. The car just felt so sluggish out of the hole.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Tyguy, I think your expectations might be a bit high. The 2000+ DA, your stock engine and 3.15 gear do not make for a record setting combination. That DA is pretty common here in the Midwest during summer so there is not much you can do about that. I see cars equipped like yours at my tracks every week in similar air to yours. Your numbers are most certainly in the ballpark.

Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Tyguy, I think your expectations might be a bit high. The 2000+ DA, your stock engine and 3.15 gear do not make for a record setting combination. That DA is pretty common here in the Midwest during summer so there is not much you can do about that. I see cars equipped like yours at my tracks every week in similar air to yours. Your numbers are most certainly in the ballpark.
I agree... the folks calling a 1.9 60ft pretty bad on street tires have a warped sense of what's normal for most people. In truth, most people on street tires are averaging over 2.0x 60ft times. When I say average, I mean all people at the track.. not an average of only those people who have been drag racing for 15+ years.

Discounting driver skill, the prep of the track plays the biggest role, next is tire (some street tires are stickier than others), air pressure, transmission type, gearing, etc.. there's a laundry list of variables

I once cut a 1.77 60' on stock gatorbacks in my stock 2003 Mach 1; however, the track was prepped very good because it was days after a NHRA Pro National event, the DA was in the negatives and I had a near perfect launch. That time is an outlier and not representative of what anyone could expect in any condition.

Tony

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
I agree... the folks calling a 1.9 60ft pretty bad on street tires have a warped sense of what's normal for most people. In truth, most people on street tires are averaging over 2.0x 60ft times. When I say average, I mean all people at the track.. not an average of only those people who have been drag racing for 15+ years.

Discounting driver skill, the prep of the track plays the biggest role, next is tire (some street tires are stickier than others), air pressure, transmission type, gearing, etc.. there's a laundry list of variables

I once cut a 1.77 60' on stock gatorbacks in my stock 2003 Mach 1; however, the track was prepped very good because it was days after a NHRA Pro National event, the DA was in the negatives and I had a near perfect launch. That time is an outlier and not representative of what anyone could expect in any condition.

Tony
Hes on drag radials

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just a little video. To help you understand the point I’m trying to make OP. Notice in this video. he goes faster after he lowers the tire pressure and leaves harder. Starts at 21psi. Lowers it to 15psi. And leaves a little harder. 500rpm to be exact. (Which is nothing). Gains over a tenth. You can listen to a guy with an NHRA license or not. It’s up to you. But all your going to do. By making no changes. Other than videoing your runs. Is run the exact same times you already have. But you’ll have videos of runs. With no improvements. I promise you. At 30psi. Your spinning! Did you really do over 3 grand of modifying for half a tenth?

For the record that was on a bias ply. And initial pressure was around 18lbs or so.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Hes on drag radials
He's also on a stock tune in summer heat. I don't care what you say, he's not getting enough cold air and likely timing off the line to improve the 60' much further given the conditions. I've been to the track in similar conditions, with a drag setup, on a stock tune 3.15 auto car. I averaged 1.90s in the 60' with the stock tune in summer heat on 18psi.

OP, get an E-85 tune if its available. It'll ramp you up early enough to reach 7s.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
He's also on a stock tune in summer heat. I don't care what you say, he's not getting enough cold air and likely timing off the line to improve the 60' much further given the conditions. I've been to the track in similar conditions, with a drag setup, on a stock tune 3.15 auto car. I averaged 1.90s in the 60' with the stock tune in summer heat on 18psi.

OP, get an E-85 tune if its available. It'll ramp you up early enough to reach 7s.
My point was tires arent his limitation. When people reference poor 60s and street tires its a traction issue. I agree, his iat is probably through the roof.

Sponsored

Deleted member 33561

You can’t spin a drag radial? Are you f$&king kidding? You guys see a 1.9 sixty? And your answer is. That’s normal? For a car on drag radials? With suspension mods and weight reduction???...:facepalm:The stupid shit you read in this section never ceases to amaze me! OP You should 1.7 sixty. With just an idle stomp on radials! Stall it up to 1500rpms. And 1.6s are doable! Just for shits and giggles. Try lowering the pressure in the tires. 10 or 15 psi. and report back. After your next trip to the strip.
Yeah the drag brakes and drag wheels should cut at least 0.3 seconds off his 60 ft. And on top of that a catback. Wow the sound alone should make get another 0.1. Any 40 hp VW beetle should spin drag radials with 30 psi. I swear I don't know what the problem is.

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
OP, contrary to what some on here are saying, a 1.9x 60' isn't terrible for these cars stock. The factory torque converter is tighter than a nun and won't allow you to hit the tire hard. Stick to your 30psi pressure and wait for a better DA. If you can pull some more weight out of the car, that may help your 60'/ET, but the converter is the limiter for a stock 6r80 car. You can throw all the HP in the world at it, but these coyote engines don't make a shit ton of torque down low and you simply can't hit the tire hard with a 1500 rpm stall converter. Sure it'll mph out the back door, but your short time will NEVER be optimal on a stock converter.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
1.9s with weight reduction and on drag radials is perfect. I stand corrected.:facepalm:

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've rarely gone to the track with this car I still think my 1.6 is terrible because it's not a super dead hook on MT S/S

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I've rarely gone to the track with this car I still think my 1.6 is terrible because it's not a super dead hook on MT S/S
1.6s are impossible! Are you running 30 psi?
Sponsored