Sponsored

went to the track last nignt and would like opinions!

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So i went to the track last night after some mods done over the winter.
I have a base 2016 gt a6 with 3 15 rear. I installed baer drag brakes all around, forgestar drag wheels, bmr cradle lockout, vertical links, and aluminum ds. The motor is untouched except for an awe catback.
Last time out, bone stock, (similar weather), i was able to squeeze an 8.34 on stock tires.
Last night i was dead hooking, and my best time was 8.28 @ 86 mph consistently. I was hoping for a little better time than that considering i dropped almost 200 lbs off the car. What do you guys think? Anything i could try different?
My goal was to hit 7s without touching the motor, i doubt thats gana happen after seeing last night.
22EC23E4-F9D4-4967-8975-59B9D720DD56.jpeg
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
The problem is, all that work and you didn't improve the 60'. the reduction in time you are showing could just be as simple as weather. You didn't really gain anything in MPH.

How are you launching the car? that sixty should be a high 1.7 or low 1.8 with the tire you have. That alone would drop your into the 8.10s or 8.0s.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
One can only assume your on drag radials. But your not getting anything out of them if that’s the case. If you don’t have drag radials. Get some. If you already got em. What tire pressure are you running? And did you give them a proper burnout?

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
The problem is, all that work and you didn't improve the 60'. the reduction in time you are showing could just be as simple as weather. You didn't really gain anything in MPH.

How are you launching the car? that sixty should be a high 1.7 or low 1.8 with the tire you have. That alone would drop your into the 8.10s or 8.0s.
I have 275/40/17 mt drag radials on the back, i gave them a good burnout and started at 30psi. I wasnt spinning a bit as far as i could tell so i never saw a reason the lower the pressure from that.
As far as launching the car, ive left off idle and ive tried to stall up on the brake as far as the stock converter would let me. All yielded the same results.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
30PSI is way to high. They should be 20ish at best.
If you're up against the stall and not seeing results, you're either spinning, the tires are spinning on the rims, or the car is down on power. It should be an easy improvement in the 60' over stock tires.

Your 1.9x 60' isn't bad, for stock tires.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I run my drag radials 18 psi in the summer. 16 in the fall when the temps get down in the 40s. You we’re spinning at 30 psi.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
BS you're not spinning because they are at 30psi. I've run 30PSI in my MT ET R's and pull high 1.3's to low 1.4's. I run them at 25psi out of habit. Have someone video the car leaving or datalog the mph and rpm... and run as much pressure as you can without wheelspin.

A stock motor/converter A6 car is not spinning a drag radial period unless you staged with them wet.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It is highly unlikely that a 2016 stock engine GT with an A6 and 3.15 gear would have ANY traction issue on DRs regardless of pressure.....especially on a prepped surface at the strip. My 2018 with the 10A and 3.55 gear will barely break loose my MT DRs.

Last edited:

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
it takes more power to move a half flat tire down the track,you were correct to leave as much pressure in your tires as possible without spinning, I would have thought you would have gained more and i'm sure you would have in the 1/4 .. heavy cars need tons more gear if running 1/8..thats why I hate 1/8 mile.. I can run down lightweight underpowered cars in the quarter.. I know you wanna stay stock, but if you go converter or gears or both your gonna be shocked..u need to get in fatter part of torque curve at launch

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
You can’t spin a drag radial? Are you f$&king kidding? You guys see a 1.9 sixty? And your answer is. That’s normal? For a car on drag radials? With suspension mods and weight reduction???...:facepalm:The stupid shit you read in this section never ceases to amaze me! OP You should 1.7 sixty. With just an idle stomp on radials! Stall it up to 1500rpms. And 1.6s are doable! Just for shits and giggles. Try lowering the pressure in the tires. 10 or 15 psi. and report back. After your next trip to the strip.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well the only thing i can do is go back, have someone video my launch and see if im slipping. If i was, I sure couldnt tell it. And id be tickled to death if alls i had to do was lower my tire pressure and practice launching harder.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Just a little video. To help you understand the point I’m trying to make OP. Notice in this video. he goes faster after he lowers the tire pressure and leaves harder. Starts at 21psi. Lowers it to 15psi. And leaves a little harder. 500rpm to be exact. (Which is nothing). Gains over a tenth. You can listen to a guy with an NHRA license or not. It’s up to you. But all your going to do. By making no changes. Other than videoing your runs. Is run the exact same times you already have. But you’ll have videos of runs. With no improvements. I promise you. At 30psi. Your spinning! Did you really do over 3 grand of modifying for half a tenth?

Last edited:

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
Ok
Just a little video. To help you understand the point I’m trying to make OP. Notice in this video. he goes faster after he lowers the tire pressure and leaves harder. Starts at 21psi. Lowers it to 15psi. And leaves a little harder. 500rpm to be exact. (Which is nothing). Gains over a tenth. You can listen to a guy with an NHRA license or not. It’s up to you. But all your going to do. By making no changes. Other than videoing your runs. Is run the exact same times you already have. But you’ll have videos of runs. With no improvements. I promise you. At 30psi. Your spinning! Did you really do over 3 grand of modifying for half a tenth?

post you slips of your 1.6 short on stock power and tranny please

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ok
It’ll just hurt your feeling. Or you’ll call me a liar. If I do that. Just cause you can’t do it. Don’t mean it can’t be done.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Ok
Yeah, I would love to see a stock 2016 A6 with 3.15 gear do a 1.6 60. Tactics used on heavily modified forced induction cars are pretty meaningless on a stock A6 vehicle with a 3.15 gear. The video has no application here.

In any case, the OP reduced weight and didn't improve times. Presumably, he launched the same way both times. I would like to know the DA for both runs since there were several months between them. It really seems like he was down on power on the latest runs.
Sponsored