Sponsored

Went from 305/35/20 MT Street Comp to MT ET Street SS and now the rear rubs

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
I'm running a staggered set up and had Mickey Thompson Street Comps 305/35/20 on the rear using Niche Targa wheels (20x10, 40 offset). I'm also lowered on BMR springs. I didn't have any noticeable rubbing issues before, but today I had identical sized Mickey Thompson ET Street SS installed in their place. Now on some bumps, it rubs a little. Using my finger to feel the clearance, there is at least a couple of millimeters more clearance on the passenger side vs. the driver side, so I assume it's the driver side that is the issue. The car is in need of alignment (no clue why, it was done 7000 miles ago after the BMR springs were installed) which was the reason for the new tires, but my question is whether alignment would have any hope of helping the driver side tire stop rubbing. So many people run these tires on the rear with no issue, so I'm stumped as to why it became an issue when the only change was going from Street Comps to ET Streets. Wheel/tire experts, any thoughts? Between the prematurely worn out tires from alignment, a bad balance on one of the wheels causing horrible vibration, and the rubbing in the rear, I'm quite frustrated with this whole day.
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
run a little bit more neg camber in the back it will help im on bmr min drop springs im at -1.6 rear im running 305/35/20 cooper rs3-s which is almost the same tire as the mickey ..i dont rub one bit
plus im guessing your offset isnt the best for running that wide of a tire 40 seems out to far im at a 55 offset rear the neg camber will do the trick for sure depending on what you at now but i know my guy did -1.6

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Outer diameter of the Street S/S is 28.7" vs 28.4" for the street comp. You reduced clearance by approx 1/8". That size S/S is 1" larger than stock PP rear tires, and will rub with any lowering. How much camber do you have?

Also, just pointing out that you're on too narrow a wheel for either of those tires. It 'fits' but really needs an 11" wide or more to work properly, even for drag. As you go down in wheel diameter, you get more flexibility, but running 20" wheels, you'll really want a better tread width to wheel width match.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
yeah i run a 20x11 rear 55 off set with a 305/35 and it fits perfect

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
id say its the offset also a 40 is out pretty far for that size tire on a 10 inch rim prob a bit of a buldge tiny but enough to make it rub like mac said

OP
OP
Beerdy

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
Do you have a subframe alignment kit?
I do not.

id say its the offset also a 40 is out pretty far for that size tire on a 10 inch rim prob a bit of a buldge tiny but enough to make it rub like mac said
I don't think the bulge is that significant, but I'm not all that knowledgeable on what is considered ideal.

mickeys.jpg

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
its not that bad, its deff the offset run a bit more camber in the back and youll be good

ill get a pic of mine same size tire on a 20x11 and youll see the diff
Sponsored