Sponsored

Well This is Going to Piss Off a Lot of Folks.....

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman

Who is it going to "piss off" and why?

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Who is it going to "piss off" and why?
Well to start, a lot of folks in Texas, electric company execs and greedy politicians. And, of course, all the anti-Tesla/Musk folks.

“Elon Musk has a lot of activity in Texas right now,” said Albert. “It wouldn’t surprise me if Musk is thinking about starting his own power company.”

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Well to start, a lot of folks in Texas, electric company execs and greedy politicians. And, of course, all the anti-Tesla/Musk folks.

“Elon Musk has a lot of activity in Texas right now,” said Albert. “It wouldn’t surprise me if Musk is thinking about starting his own power company.”
Successful people tend to piss others off along the way to their success. Happy to see Tesla taking this step.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
I couldn't find anything in the article about how long that battery can provide power, it may be 100MW, but that's not too useful if it's only for a few minutes. The nearest I could find mentioned a utility scale battery that provides power for about an hour. That really only buys a short while to get other sources of power running.

Sponsored

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
He did something here in Australia, in South Australia to be more precise. I'm trying to find an article on the details of its capacity and how much it can help their grid.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
hey you started it with "them thar's fight'n words". His comment WRT science wasn't necessarily directed at you but the gentle reader who's been lulled into thinking batteries are magic pixie dust and run on unicorn farts. And because AOC said so.
OK, then, if that's the case I get it and I agree. It was an anti-battery rant. See the article did piss someone off.

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Does anyone know if these are brand new batteries? Or used ones coming out of cars? About a year ago I read that a lot of older Prius battery packs are near their end of life for cars, but can still hold a charge. No one has figured out a good (cheap) way to recycle them. This sounds like it would be a good use for these older battery packs.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if these are brand new batteries? Or used ones coming out of cars? About a year ago I read that a lot of older Prius battery packs are near their end of life for cars, but can still hold a charge. No one has figured out a good (cheap) way to recycle them. This sounds like it would be a good use for these older battery packs.
I would say highly unlikely for today as most of Tesla's batteries are still in service. But for the future a lot of ideas are in play as to what to do with batteries that are no longer usable in cars. I know my old company was spending millions on recycling technology. The battery manufacturers are fully aware that spent batteries need a home and are planning for it.
Sponsored