Sponsored

Well that didn't last long. 2020 GT350R DEAD

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hmmm...so if my 17 with 30k miles blows the engine tomorrow and I get a brand new engine now gen 3 in fact with 0 miles and non numbers matching, am I better off as is anyone who buys the car if I sell it? I think so, might even command a higher price.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You would get a Gen 2 engine. Gen 3's are not compatible with the Gen 2 engine computer.

As far as I know the only way to run a Gen3 in a Gen 2 car is to do a stand alone engine computer or gut a Gen 3 car for all the wiring and control modules, dash instruments ect...

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Yes actually, my brother is a Master ASE certified tech with 30 years experience, a fleet manager and a service manager at one point or the other and I took his advice. I'm sure your years of lower or middle management make you an expert at pretty much everything.

If you think cranking a non-running engine for few minutes to see if it has oil pressure is a full break-in, but I don't. I'm sure a replacement engine is not the end of the world. Wait 20 days, lemon law the car and go find another one and start over. Hopefully the results of that won't be 12 pages long.
So just to clarify you are not an expert in any official way when it comes to cars... Where did I say cranking it for a few minutes? I drove it for over 100 miles per the FORD instructions.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I was master ASE certified. Honestly it means nothing.

It means the person can take a test and pass it and has a certain amount of hours in a shop.

I still laugh at the A/C certification. It was 10 questions about how R-12 ruins the Ozone layer.

My certs have expired

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
I was master ASE certified. Honestly it means nothing.

It means the person can take a test and pass it and has a certain amount of hours in a shop.

I still laugh at the A/C certification. It was 10 questions about how R-12 ruins the Ozone layer.

My certs have expired
They have revised the tests and greatly updated them, I wouldn't say they mean nothing, they are definitely harder to pass than they used to be hah. You have to at least know your ahole from your elbow lol.

Sponsored

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
You would get a Gen 2 engine. Gen 3's are not compatible with the Gen 2 engine computer.

As far as I know the only way to run a Gen3 in a Gen 2 car is to do a stand alone engine computer or gut a Gen 3 car for all the wiring and control modules, dash instruments ect...
What is the Gen 3 exactly? I've seen it a couple times now lately, it's separate from the 2019/GT500 based revision that I thought was Gen 2 right? Or is that actually Gen 3?

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Yeah basically from what I've read it has the predator engine bits and pieces and longer head bolts etc....

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Gen 3 is 18 and up. Major difference is it has direct and port fuel injection. Better flowing heads and higher compression. 12 to 1

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Gen 3 is 18 and up. Major difference is it has direct and port fuel injection. Better flowing heads and higher compression. 12 to 1
Oh you're talking about the 5.0 gen 3? I think other dude asking about getting a "gen 3" replacement for his GT350 is confused

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I missed he had a GT350

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
First I don’t get the f’n mentality of some calling the OP a troll, that’s he lying or that he has some other agenda to come into this forum to stir the pot for shits and giggles.... it’s ignorant.

Below is for discussion purposes so lonegunman don’t read into it or take it as a direct reply to your thoughts.

A true 1965-66 Shelby GT350, documented in the Shelby Registry, will always bring big bucks, even if it’s a rusted out shell. There’s only a limited amount of them that were built and survived now 50+ years. A complete “numbers matched” 65-66 Shelby GT350, GT350H or GT350R will bring top dollar over one that no longer has a numbers matched drivetrain - that could be upwards of a $20k+ price variance too.

A modern day S550 Shelby GT350 is a cookie cutter - too many produced over too many years to be of any real significant “investment” value years down the road like the Classics. You want to invest in a 2015-2020 S550 Shelby GT350, it best have a low build number, desired option package, never went through Dealer Prep, has no miles and is sitting mothballed for another 50-70 years. Otherwise it’s just another one of many GT350’s competing with all the others out there. No offense to any GT350 Owner, it’s just facts.

There’s a huge difference buying a 1965-66 GT350 over a 2015-2020 GT350. The 2015-2020 is still depreciating, while the 65-66 is still appreciating. A standard S550 GT350 won’t command original 65-66 Shelby values anytime soon - not now, not in 10 years or 20.

The S550 GT350R has a better chance of being “investor” grade over the standard S550 GT350 - it’s just fact based on its pedigree and lower produced numbers.

Compare the Classic 65-66 Shelby total production figures with the S550 GT350 total production through FIVE years - THIS is why a Classic Shelby always sells for a “fortune”, regardless if it’s Concours restored, unrestored original, complete drivetrain (numbers matched), not original drivetrain (non-numbers matched), a total wreck, or a total rusted shell....

Figures courtesy of Tony Branda:
CC7FED7E-93EA-49F0-850F-5765C692BC17.jpeg

Ford flooded the market with 5 years of standard S550 GT350’s - unfortunately it’s as common as a Mustang GT.

The problem today is that Shelby Enthusiasts and Collectors are totally aware of Ford OASIS, Ford Buy Backs, engine replacements, CarFax, AutoCheck, etc. Those folks will walk away from putting down equivalent money on such a GT350 over one that retains it’s numbers matched drivetrain. It’s fact, it’s not BS and those who have had an engine replacement on a S550 GT350 have posted on this site telling how it was a bear of a time trying to unload the car private party OR via Dealer Trade In. Even a Ford Dealer who sees an OASIS report on a GT350 with engine replacement will instantly undervalue the trade, period.

It’s funny of those who say it’s no big deal - but have either never had such a failure OR just don’t get the concern of how an engine replacement on a top shelf Mustang can impact its value now AND in the future.

Look at the big picture from the aspect that the buyer is a true Shelby Enthusiast - not Someone looking for a beater for a track, not someone who already owns a S550 GT350 and wants another as a driver and not someone who doesn’t care about future resale value.

Hypothetical example:
2 S550 GT350 Owners looking to sell.
Both have identical S550 Shelby GT350’s down to exterior/interior colors and options. Both have garaged them and both only have 5,000 miles on them. Both retain all documents and service records. Owner A’s GT350 is numbers matched. Owner B’s is non-numbers matched due to engine replacement. Both are asking $50k. Owner A will sell faster and closer to his asking price with minimal haggles. Owner B’s will get looks and pass overs and he will deal with folks balking at the engine replacement (even though there’s documents from Ford with 100k warranty) and he will be offered nearly $8k-10k+ less than asking price be it private party or dealer trade in.

I challenge many here with this;
Your S550 GT350 engine blows up tomorrow and Ford replaces it - would you still act like it’s no big deal that your Shelby is no longer numbers matched AND your resale or trade in value instantly took a drastic hit?
In time these cars will have some value. By that time there won't be as many, you can't still buy one at the dealer. The same reasons that the old stuff commands such high prices. Example...my 68 camaro ss when built was about $3500. It never should have made it passed 68 as it was a demo/press-type car for Germany. 300 hp 327 (corvette engine....top 327 in camaro is 275 hp) power glide, and 2.73:1 rear-end. (Insurance was based on engine size so it got the ss treatment without the 350 or 396. Built with autobahn speeds in mind high gears and an auto, because a manual wouldn't have worked with that gearing.) The front seats are deluxe interior, while the rest is standard. (Yes this car was verified from gm when I got it home.) Its all original numbers and 31,779 miles.
Ok that being said, remember there were a lot of camaro ss's built all in the mid to upper 3k range. In the 70s and 80s you could buy one for a few hundred bucks. Then in the later 90s desire started going up, as did the value and prices. In the early 2000s my car went from being a $3500 car, that I paid 6 for, to a $35000 car on the low end to over $100,000 to a collector that actually knew what they were looking at.
I didn't buy that car as an investment, I bought it to drive and enjoy. Over the 22 years that I have owned it, I doubled the miles on it and have just maintained it.
My point is that this is how and why these cars will be collectible some day....not tomorrow but in some years. It is a single model engine and trans. R or not, neither will have a trueracing pedigree like a few of the originals.
Yes it socks if you don't have the original engine, but that would just make me want to drive it more and not be afraid of upgrading and stuff. I say, to everyone who owns one, enjoy it, drive it, and don't worry about your future resale....that's the whole point of the car!

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang Shadow Black
I know a guy who didn't make it home in a brand new 2015 Porsche 911 S. I didn't make it home in my brand new 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit. Sorry it happened to you.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I know a guy who didn't make it home in a brand new 2015 Porsche 911 S. I didn't make it home in my brand new 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit. Sorry it happened to you.
Should have bought a lottery ticket that day lol.
Sponsored